Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Full Drivers Licence in AZ

UK Full Drivers Licence in AZ

Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Denise and Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Full Drivers Licence in AZ

Can anyone shed any light regarding obtaining a driving licence in AZ, I have a full UK drivers licence for car and motorcycle.

Looking at the Arizona DMV website it is not clear if I will need to take a driving test or just pass the theory test. BTW I'm 53

Any people with personal experience will be much appreciated.

Dan
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Full Drivers Licence in AZ

Hi Dan

We live in Chandler, went through this about 18 months ago.

You will take a computer-based theory test. This is easy generally. The only downer is that some of the questions are badly phrased and/or require a daft answer to get the correct mark. You do have several attempts, so don't worry.

There is a driving test - mainly to see if you can get in the car, move it, stop it, and navigate around a typical area of roads/urban space. There is a parallel parking test, which has the most mental pass requirement, but again, you have several chances.

Overall it is easy, no drama, just built by people who have no frigging idea how to test knowledge and skills for application in a practical and slightly safety critical environment.

It doesn't cost much, and the who.e thing, computer test, driving text and getting your driving license printed, takes about an hour or so, mostly waiting for the next phase.

Don't stress over it!!

Good luck.

Harry
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

For the theory test just read the online manual on the dmv website.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denise and Dan
Can anyone shed any light regarding obtaining a driving licence in AZ, I have a full UK drivers licence for car and motorcycle.

Looking at the Arizona DMV website it is not clear if I will need to take a driving test or just pass the theory test. BTW I'm 53

Any people with personal experience will be much appreciated.

Dan

As said, you need both.

Word of advice: don't announce any failure on this board.

Print off the booklet from the web and read it twice. Don't ignore the sections about teenage drivers. Sure, they don't apply to you but they will be in the test.

Ensure the car is roadworthy, licensed and insured.

Practice a parallel park in a parking lot a few times beforehand if you haven't done one recently.

Take a book to read during the wait.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And general advice about road tests is to over emphasise things such as looking over your shoulder and looking in the mirror.

Definitely not to speed.

Definitely stop at stop signs, again at stop lines and again at the actual junction, if they are staggered.

Definitely come and tell everyone if you do fail, we will point fingers and embarrass you
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

You'll also need to go through the process again, theory and practical, if you want a motorcycle endorsement.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I would check if taking an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course instead of taking the motorcycle test would be an option. That's what I did to get the m/c endorsement out here and after riding a lot of miles for 10+ years in the UK, it helped me get rid of a few bad habits that I picked up. They're usually pretty cheap, too. Plus, some insurance companies will give you a discount if you passed this course in the last 2-3 years.

I'm probably going to go back next year and do the advanced course. I found that I learned a lot about low speed control, even though I didn't feel I was too bad at it in the first place.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies I guessed that I would end up having to take a test.

@HarryTheSpider ... Thanks for the heads up. We are planning on moving to the Surprise area of Phoenix.

@fatbrit ... yeah I saw what they did to the last guy who failed

@Bob ... Yep agree with the overemphasise bit and of course I will tell you if I fail

The rearing to go to AZ Dan .... are we there yet
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Mesa, the other side of the city to HarrySpider *waves*

We moved here last October, and be aware that you have to get your AZ license 'immediately' you arrive and act like a resident: start work, place kids in school, etc - there is no official 30 day or 90 day grace period. That said, hubby did his test after a couple of weeks, and I did mine 6-7 weeks later when we moved into our permanent accommodation and the kids started school. No-one seemed fussed in practice.

I recommend Tempe test centre. Hubby did his in Chandler, and did a proper test involving the full range of manoeuvres over about 15-20 mins. It was also quite busy. I did mine in Tempe, where I was out within 45 mins, having done the theory, the eye test and a less than 5 mins drive around the block, making only right turns! Tempe also had their 'parallel park in the coned box' set up on the left hand side of the car, ie, I just had to look out of the drivers' window. Madness.

The theory test will definitely include questions about teenage specific rules (limits on when and who they can drive with until certain ages), and ones about alcohol levels, and ones about school buses. I also had some confusingly phrased ones about approaching amber traffic lights - heads up, the answer they're looking for is NOT continue driving through the intersection if you'll clear it by the red; they just want you to say 'Oh, I'd stop, absolutely'.

They don't recognise your UK license and won't remotely care you have one - you'll be treated exactly the same as all the other testees, most of whom will be 15-16 and there with a parent. They're desperately nervous - it's quite sweet.

The insurance company won't give two hoots about your years of driving experience either, sadly. You will be able to insure in the short term with a UK license, though - I did this through State Farm for several weeks before my test, and they were happy to let it ride for a while before phoning me to see how that AZ license was coming along...

Good luck with it, and the rest of your move.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Kodokan that's useful to know
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

*waves* to Kodokan from Chandler!!!!!

Good luck with the test both of you - it is very straightforward and nothing to worry about. Well, I was not worried after I had passed .

Mrs H the S
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:46 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kodokan
We live in Mesa, the other side of the city to HarrySpider *waves*

We moved here last October, and be aware that you have to get your AZ license 'immediately' you arrive and act like a resident: start work, place kids in school, etc - there is no official 30 day or 90 day grace period. That said, hubby did his test after a couple of weeks, and I did mine 6-7 weeks later when we moved into our permanent accommodation and the kids started school. No-one seemed fussed in practice.

I recommend Tempe test centre. Hubby did his in Chandler, and did a proper test involving the full range of manoeuvres over about 15-20 mins. It was also quite busy. I did mine in Tempe, where I was out within 45 mins, having done the theory, the eye test and a less than 5 mins drive around the block, making only right turns! Tempe also had their 'parallel park in the coned box' set up on the left hand side of the car, ie, I just had to look out of the drivers' window. Madness.

The theory test will definitely include questions about teenage specific rules (limits on when and who they can drive with until certain ages), and ones about alcohol levels, and ones about school buses. I also had some confusingly phrased ones about approaching amber traffic lights - heads up, the answer they're looking for is NOT continue driving through the intersection if you'll clear it by the red; they just want you to say 'Oh, I'd stop, absolutely'.

They don't recognise your UK license and won't remotely care you have one - you'll be treated exactly the same as all the other testees, most of whom will be 15-16 and there with a parent. They're desperately nervous - it's quite sweet.

The insurance company won't give two hoots about your years of driving experience either, sadly. You will be able to insure in the short term with a UK license, though - I did this through State Farm for several weeks before my test, and they were happy to let it ride for a while before phoning me to see how that AZ license was coming along...

Good luck with it, and the rest of your move.
I did mine in Mesa at greenfield and baseline back in 2000.
Written test easy, however they would not do the practical that day as it had rained had to come back the next day.
Practical test was a quick 5 minute circle of a local block.