Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:59 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

Originally Posted by Pombat
OK, here is a question for those of you who have done 'returning home' voyages.

I am trying to arrange travel insurance to ensure we are covered in case of disaster on the way home, but all the policies seem to cover emergency repatriation back to where you come from.

So in our case we would be returned to the US, even though we are on our way to live elsewhere and have no further reason to be in the US at all. We certainly wouldn't want to be returned to the US solely for health care at enormous expense when we won't even live here any more !

Anyone else encountered this?
Some ideas here:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1539675

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1609187

This is the website for the travel insurer "World Nomads" (based in Australia) The FAQ's have the question "What is my country of residence" and from reading the reply, it seems that the UK would be your country of residence. (It's where you would want to be repatriated, you are UK citizens and would be entitled to NHS care on immediate arrival in the UK as a resident. I'm sure you would be able to provide an address of a close family member in the UK.

In any case, before going ahead and booking online you should check with them directly. There are contact numbers in the UK, US - toll free - and in Oz. I suggest you give them a call and explain the situation. Btw they are recommended by 'Lonely Planet'

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-in...questions.aspx

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/bookings/insurance.do?affil=googleins&s_kwcid=TC|22888|insu rance%20for%20travel||S|b|9538038732&gclid=CIOdwuP AzLACFYFo4Aod1GJ9Yw

Alternatively, call Cunard and ask if they can suggest any insurers.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:29 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of
Default Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

Thanks Englishmum, that looks promising! I will give World Nomads a call tomorrow and check that we would be covered, but it certainly reads as if we should be.

I spent several hours on the phone with various insurance providers today who all said that their insurance would only cover return to our place of residence, which would be in the US because we would have applied from here. They couldn't input our UK address instead because their policies were only for US residents.

I tried UK travel insurance companies as well, but their wording required any trip to start and end in the UK, and also for us to be physically present in the UK at the time of booking the insurance cover. Some also required us to be registered with a British GP.

I called Cunard who were less than helpful. Their Cunardcare is only available for purchase before the final trip payment is made, and they were unable or unwilling to recommend anyone else.

Of course I know the odds of needing medical evacuation and/or repatriation are tiny, but I'm not comfortable with the risk.

I will report back tomorrow!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:55 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Insurance is sorted, thanks to Englishmum!

World Nomads were very helpful and confirmed that as long as we are are British Citizens with full right of entry to the UK, and an address to use in the UK, we are covered under their policy for UK residents. The medical cover and repatriation coverage is more generous than anything we could get here, and would take us to the UK which was my main concern with US based policies. We are covered here in the US from the time we set off for New York and throughout the journey on the QM2. Coverage will cease as soon as we arrive in the UK. The policy does not cover pre-existing conditions, but as we don't have any that was not an issue for us.

Here is the link to the World Nomads travel insurance site in case anyone else needs it.

http://www.worldnomads.com/index.aspx

It's also worth searching for a promotional code - I found one online and got a 7% discount!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:40 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

World Nomads were very helpful and confirmed that as long as we are are British Citizens with full right of entry to the UK, and an address to use in the UK, we are covered under their policy for UK residents. The medical cover and repatriation coverage is more generous than anything we could get here, and would take us to the UK which was my main concern with US based policies. We are covered here in the US from the time we set off for New York and throughout the journey on the QM2. Coverage will cease as soon as we arrive in the UK. The policy does not cover pre-existing conditions, but as we don't have any that was not an issue for us.

Here is the link to the World Nomads travel insurance site in case anyone else needs it.

It's also worth searching for a promotional code - I found one online and got a 7% discount!
Great! I'm so pleased that you managed to get insurance!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but would you mind sharing how much the travel insurance policy costs for your one-way trip?

I assume it covers loss/damage/theft of personal items and medical evacuation, but does it cover cancellation of the trip if necessary?

(I'm wondering if the info and link to World Nomads should be made into a 'sticky' at the top of the page for all expat returnees to the UK from various countries....? )
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:10 am
Back home at last!

I think it would be a great idea to make it into a "sticky". I had searched all kinds of one way insurance on the internet and World Nomads didn't come up at all, so it is hard to find if you don't know about it.

There were 2 worldwide options for UK residents, one including the US and one excluding it. We obviously got the inclusive one. We are covered for cancellation and trip curtailment £10,000 for each, emergency medical expenses including repatriation to the UK £6 million, loss of passport/ travel docs £600, baggage and personal belongings £2500, personal liability £2 million and financial failure protection £10,000. The cost was £97.87 for the 4 of us for 2 weeks which is very reasonable indeed. There are also options to add on extra cover for named valuables (need serial numbers for cameras and electronics and there is a maximum of £400 per item), or for extreme sports.

The main thing to note is that the policy does not cover pre existing conditions at all, so that might make the policy unsuitable for some.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:30 am

Wink Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

I think it would be a great idea to make it into a "sticky". I had searched all kinds of one way insurance on the internet and World Nomads didn't come up at all, so it is hard to find if you don't know about it.

There were 2 worldwide options for UK residents, one including the US and one excluding it. We obviously got the inclusive one. We are covered for cancellation and trip curtailment £10,000 for each, emergency medical expenses including repatriation to the UK £6 million, loss of passport/ travel docs £600, baggage and personal belongings £2500, personal liability £2 million and financial failure protection £10,000. The cost was £97.87 for the 4 of us for 2 weeks which is very reasonable indeed. There are also options to add on extra cover for named valuables (need serial numbers for cameras and electronics and there is a maximum of £400 per item), or for extreme sports.

The main thing to note is that the policy does not cover pre existing conditions at all, so that might make the policy unsuitable for some.
That's an excellent price. I hope you don't have to make a claim, however!

I found the link via 'Lonely Planet' which is one of the major websites (and publisher of travel books) for backpackers, adventure travellers etc. I would imagine that their main demographic is for people aged in their 20s to late 30s/early 40s: they tend not to have pre-existing medical conditions at that age, even more so if they're going travelling in other parts of the world for a few months.

OTOH my friend's daughter broke her leg in New Zealand when she was travelling Down Under and Southeast Asia last Summer, so she had to curtail her plans to travel around Thailand and make an early return to the UK.

It is good to know that World Nomads covers British expats on their one way journeys to take up residence again in the UK
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:37 am
Back home at last!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
That's an excellent price. I hope you don't have to make a claim, however!
You and me both!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:52 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this information, I have noted them to call nearer the time to us travelling home
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Thanks for this information, I have noted them to call nearer the time to us travelling home
I bookmarked them we are all in the same boat it seems
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to Pombat & Englishmum for addressing the issue of medical insurance and repatriation. We do have medical coverage, but when I called them, they were very vague about coverage applying in our situation and it would XXX company that would determine coverage at the the time of loss. I asked if there was a copy of the wording online - no.

Therefore, for peace of mind I think I will call Nomads on Monday and arrange for coverage. I think I will also need to arrange a separate policy for camera equip, computers etc as the limit on Nomads is too low. I asked my OH how much his camera equip is worth and said "before or after I buy a new lens".
I think that just increased my budget on frock shopping.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just got off the phone with Nomads re their travel insurance. They told me that for the first 3 days of coverage you are only covered if you are seriously injured in an accident and it must be verified by a witness.

Thought others may like to be made aware of this so that if they are purchasing the insurance they can be sure to add an extra 3 days on to the insured period. i.e. policy should come into effect 3 days before you actually need it.

Edit - I have just read the policy wording, the three day limitation only applies if you take out the insurance after you have left your home. (whilst travelling)

Last edited by lf1; Jun 20th 2012 at 4:21 pm. Reason: clarification
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:15 am

Lightbulb Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

By a weird coincidence one of the regular posters on the US boards has posted his wife's experience with making a claim from World Nomads!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744742
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:02 pm

Exclamation Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

Hey Pombat and If1.......it's possible that you are going to be joined by another BE poster on your QM2 crossing on 3rd August....

Britwhore will most likely be joining you lol! (You just need to help her persuade her spouse that they can tie up loose ends so they can embark on their return to the UK in 5 weeks!)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2#post10138732
Old Jun 25th 2012, 10:21 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Hey Pombat and If1.......it's possible that you are going to be joined by another BE poster on your QM2 crossing on 3rd August....

Britwhore will most likely be joining you lol! (You just need to help her persuade her spouse that they can tie up loose ends so they can embark on their return to the UK in 5 weeks!)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2#post10138732
Thanks for posting this. I sent a reply on the other thread to Britwhore.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:21 am
Back home at last!

Thanks Englishmum, I have posted on the other thread. Let's hope we can persuade her! We can all have quite the BE party onboard!