Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

Old May 29th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

So I was driving to work on the I-5 in So. CA listening to Radio 2. Hugo Burnand was being interviewed about Royal Wedding photographs and the topic came around to the Queens Diamond Jubilee celebrations this weekend. Apparently Hugo is photographing 3 award winning theme parties in celebration.

It got me thinking what will/shall I be doing this weekend and feeling very envious of all those back in the U.K. I know my local Brit pub (which I rarely ever frequent) here in Nebraska by the Sea, is having an all day event televising the Queens parade but I don't really want to pay for that privilege. So can I live vicariously through those who are celebrating over in the UK or elsewhere. Let me know?
Old May 29th 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

I noticed the NZ forum is having a virtual street party
Old May 29th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I noticed the NZ forum is having a virtual street party
I will take a look at that. Thanks
Old May 29th 2012, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Heading down to Cornwall for the week, can't wait. For the two bank holidays, we'll be watching it all on the tv whilst joining in with the village street party, I've ordered copious amounts of food and Pimms to celebrate with, and am taking the bunting and flags ready to decorate too!

Old May 29th 2012, 4:22 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the UK and our road is having a street party, lots of traditional English party food and hopefully plenty of booze to block out the sound of all the kids running around screaming their heads off (mine will be the loudest).

Looking around there's plenty of red, white and blue going up everywhere, people are beginning to get the flags out and put up bunting.

My kids' school is having a jubilee tea party on Friday and they've all gotta go in decked out in red, white and blue...takes me back to the silver jubilee when I was a kid, I remember having a huge tea party at school and we all got a jubilee mug and a commemorative coin.

Oh and like Christmasoompa I intend to douse myself in jugs and jugs of Pimms and lemonade, it would be rude not to
Old May 29th 2012, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

It coincides with half term for us, so we are heading up to the Lake District for a week. Staying at my sister's holiday cottage which has no tv or internet, so not sure how much of the celebrations we'll actually see!
Old May 29th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pommybird
I'm in the UK and our road is having a street party, lots of traditional English party food and hopefully plenty of booze to block out the sound of all the kids running around screaming their heads off (mine will be the loudest).

Looking around there's plenty of red, white and blue going up everywhere, people are beginning to get the flags out and put up bunting.

My kids' school is having a jubilee tea party on Friday and they've all gotta go in decked out in red, white and blue...takes me back to the silver jubilee when I was a kid, I remember having a huge tea party at school and we all got a jubilee mug and a commemorative coin.

Oh and like Christmasoompa I intend to douse myself in jugs and jugs of Pimms and lemonade, it would be rude not to
Sounds perfect to me I remember our Silver Jubilee street party just over the hill from Portsmouth. We also drove to Portsdown Hill and saw all the Navy ships lined up (thats when we still actually had some) for the Royal review of the fleet - quite impressive.
Old May 29th 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Taking in the Folkestone Air Show over the English Channel (we have a front row seat) and celebrating our first wedding anniversary.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:58 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your 1st wedding anniversary. I have been following your story for ages and I am pleased that things are working out well. Enjoy the Diamond Jubilee weekend

I wish we were back as I am sure they will be celebrating in the village. Just under two months to go!
Old May 29th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

In our little village in so called "Millionaires Row" in Surrey... we are having a Street Party, but in small print on the banners it says Bring your own Picnic..what's that all about... surely her Maj can give us something back and make it all free....oh yeah... it also says there's a barbeque.. priced £3 per burger...Doh!! another rip off..
Thankfully I have won a free day out in Kent.. with Gala bingo on that day... starts with a champagne breakfast and a full and varied day out complete with cabaret and all free meals... an afternoon of Bingo and a chance to win a huge diamond... I know where I will be on that day lol
Old May 29th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Congratulations on your 1st wedding anniversary. I have been following your story for ages and I am pleased that things are working out well. Enjoy the Diamond Jubilee weekend

I wish we were back as I am sure they will be celebrating in the village. Just under two months to go!
Thanks for the good wishes! Earlier today I noticed they are sculpting the shrubs out on the Leas in time for the festivities; we have a big crown out there now - will have to go have a good look tomorrow. Your departure date is coming up fast, the time will go over before you know it and hopefully you'll have a lovely homecoming summer to celebrate
Old May 29th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we are off to Germany to make the most of a long weekend!
Old May 30th 2012, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Im off to a BBQ for the Jubilee, there is a large number of us all working over here (US) so it should be good.

The organisers have got loads of flags and bunting and we are all wearing Red, White and Blue, don't know what the natives will think of us.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:16 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Lego display in Hamley's toy shop window...

Old May 30th 2012, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You're all welcome to come to our Street party, the more the merrier.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759899

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.