Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any dual Canadian passport holders renewed their UK Passport via the UK recently?

Any dual Canadian passport holders renewed their UK Passport via the UK recently?

Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Question Any dual Canadian passport holders renewed their UK Passport via the UK recently?

I was going to do this using my fathers address as my Dads coming to visit and can bring it with him. Hes sent me the forms over.

The online help is useless.

Online it says just to just send your last passport with the application, but the forms also say they want any current foreign passports. My Cdn passport is due for renewal soon too anyway, I dont want to be passport free and I need to send it off here to get a new Cdn one, although with a new UK passport in hand its probably of limited use unless travelling to the states to avoid the I94W.

In the past I also read that if the existing UK passport has been expired more than a few years then you need pics countersigned, but again, I cant find anything about that on the current online or leaflet info... Mines 9 years since it expired (hence doing this now to avoid having to reapply) Getting them countersigned isnt a problem, but I'd rather not do it if I dont have to.

I realise I should be in the UK to do this anyway, but I am not keen to spent well over $200 bucks to send off the application to the US for them to forward on to the UK.

Anyone done this recently? (sent of the passport forms for renewal in the UK via a UK address?) Mainly Im wondering if I really need to send of my Cdn passport too, Im not keen to do that and be passport free for a month, even though it seems a bit paranoid to worry about it

Last edited by iaink; Feb 17th 2012 at 1:20 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any dual Canadian passport holders renewed their UK Passport via the UK recently?

So does this mean that renewing from the UK one needs to send another (foreign) passport but not if renewing from Canada or some other country?

What's the thinking behind that?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any dual Canadian passport holders renewed their UK Passport via the UK recently?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So does this mean that renewing from the UK one needs to send another (foreign) passport but not if renewing from Canada or some other country?

What's the thinking behind that?
I dont know if it means that or not, I havent really looked into doing it via washington beyond the ridiculous fee disparity.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:57 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are referring to this passage:

Section 3
Have you had or been included on any sort of passport before?
In this section you must give details of your current passport (if you have one), andany previous, lost or stolen passports. This includes passports you are included on or were included on (for example, as a child) and passports issued by other countries. With your application you must send us any passport which is current or which is no longer valid but has not been replaced. If you don’t, this will delay your application.

According to this I was supposed to send in my Italian partner's passport when applying for a passport for my daughter - because she is included on his Italian passport. This is impossible as he travels a lot for work.

I rang up the terribly expensive help lines and explained this and sent emails. I was told that it would was okay to send a photocopy of his passport along with a covering letter stating that he needs it for work and cannot be without it.

Perhaps you can do the same thing? I don't know if it made a difference that she is a minor.
There must be people out there with two pasports and never sent in the foreign one when renewing a British one.

It doesn't say your application will be stopped and denied - just delayed.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:04 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont know if it means that or not, I havent really looked into doing it via washington beyond the ridiculous fee disparity.
Are you sure it says you have to hand over the foreign passport?

I'm about to renew my UK passport (via Washington). It's still valid and as far as I can make out all I need send is that. I can't imagine the UK has the right to demand you hand over a Canadian passport. It doesn't belong to them.

The notes are a nightmare, I'll agree.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvy
Are you sure it says you have to hand over the foreign passport?

I'm about to renew my UK passport (via Washington). It's still valid and as far as I can make out all I need send is that. I can't imagine the UK has the right to demand you hand over a Canadian passport. It doesn't belong to them.

The notes are a nightmare, I'll agree.
Yup, let me quote from section 3... (this is the UK sourced form)

"You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application" (with space for 3 passport numbers)

From the notes...
"In this section you must give details of your current passport and any previous, lost or stolen passports.This includes passports you are included on or were included on(for example, as a child) and passports issued by other countries. With your application you must send us any passport which is current or which is no longer valid but has not been replaced. If you dont this will delay your application."

Like I know my old passport numbers or my parents passport that I was once included on long ago....
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good one for a legal mind. The wording does say and passports issued by other countries. I tend to agree what gives them the authority to ask for a Canadian or US passport unless they use this as dont supply it then no new UK passport. How would they know that you even hold another countries passport if you have dual citizenship?

Oh the joys of holding 2 x passports. Is there really a need for the UK passport or is it just for travelling and avoiding longer lines when entering the UK?.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Is there really a need for the UK passport or is it just for travelling and avoiding longer lines when entering the UK?.
Partly that and partly I want it as convenient proof of britishness for when my kids get older and may want to apply for an EU valid passport of their own.

If its expired too long you have to reapply, rather than renew, and thats a real pain in the butt.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Partly that and partly I want it as convenient proof of britishness for when my kids get older and may want to apply for an EU valid passport of their own.

If its expired too long you have to reapply, rather than renew, and thats a real pain in the butt.
Well with the rules always changing it is handy to have such proof. Im just hoping my expired passport and birth certificate will be proof enough.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:48 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

"You must send us all uncancelled passports with the application" (with space for 3 passport numbers)

From the notes...
"In this section you must give details of your current passport and any previous, lost or stolen passports.This includes passports you are included on or were included on(for example, as a child) and passports issued by other countries. With your application you must send us any passport which is current or which is no longer valid but has not been replaced. If you dont this will delay your application."

Like I know my old passport numbers or my parents passport that I was once included on long ago....
I rang my nearest passport office - Liverpool. They told me it was ok to just send the Italian passport details and a letter saying why it could not be included in the British application.

Ring your nearest passport office in the UK and ask them.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Get magnumpi to make the call. The $10 fee might be worth it rather than you being put on hold for hours I wonder if the $10 fee also inludes long distance charges then if it does then the $10 fee might be worth it.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Get magnumpi to make the call. The $10 fee might be worth it rather than you being put on hold for hours I wonder if the $10 fee also inludes long distance charges then if it does then the $10 fee might be worth it.
Not sure Im comfortable him having my personal details I'll get my dad to do it, hes retired, too cold to golf at the moment anyway
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

From the notes...

OK. I've got a different form.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:32 pm
Slob

Good one for a legal mind. The wording does say and passports issued by other countries. I tend to agree what gives them the authority to ask for a Canadian or US passport unless they use this as dont supply it then no new UK passport. How would they know that you even hold another countries passport if you have dual citizenship?

Oh the joys of holding 2 x passports. Is there really a need for the UK passport or is it just for travelling and avoiding longer lines when entering the UK?.
I mainly keep it to avoid the queues but it's easier going to some countries with a UK passport than a Canadian one. As an example, a couple of years ago I was called at short notice to a meeting in Brazil. With only a Canadian passport, I couldn't have gone because I wouldn't have got a visa in time. With my UK passport I didn't need a visa.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

I was going to do this using my fathers address as my Dads coming to visit and can bring it with him. Hes sent me the forms over.

The online help is useless.

Online it says just to just send your last passport with the application, but the forms also say they want any current foreign passports. My Cdn passport is due for renewal soon too anyway, I dont want to be passport free and I need to send it off here to get a new Cdn one, although with a new UK passport in hand its probably of limited use unless travelling to the states to avoid the I94W.

In the past I also read that if the existing UK passport has been expired more than a few years then you need pics countersigned, but again, I cant find anything about that on the current online or leaflet info... Mines 9 years since it expired (hence doing this now to avoid having to reapply) Getting them countersigned isnt a problem, but I'd rather not do it if I dont have to.

I realise I should be in the UK to do this anyway, but I am not keen to spent well over $200 bucks to send off the application to the US for them to forward on to the UK.

Anyone done this recently? (sent of the passport forms for renewal in the UK via a UK address?) Mainly Im wondering if I really need to send of my Cdn passport too, Im not keen to do that and be passport free for a month, even though it seems a bit paranoid to worry about it
So I guess you're ignoring the bit that says:
If you are currently living abroad, you should apply for a passport through the British embassy, consulate or high commission in the country you are living in

and putting your dad's address in the UK as your address?

I couldn't bring myself to do that when renewing my son's passport recently!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.