Reload this Page >

Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

mcweaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Hi,

A quick introduction; my wife and I both in our mid-thirties, live and work in London, own a property in West London, no kids and no plans for them either.

The wife's work situation; her American employers have asked her if she'd like to transfer from the London office to the one in Manhattan. As part of the move we'd be offered a cash lump sum for relocation, an extra months salary, the same number of days holiday, salary realignment and flights.

My work situation; I've been working in for various investment banks for the last 12 years, the last 6 of which I've been contracting.

My wife will get an L-1 visa and I understand I can get an L-2 spouse visa and will be eligible to work within around 12 weeks, with the aim of contracting in Manhattan.

We initially thought the move was a bit of a no brainer, but after reading some of the threads on this forum and all the negativity about living in the USA I thought I'd ask for some advice/comments from people who've been through a similar move.

- what additional things should we be asking for from my wife's employers?
- thoughts on cost of living in Manhattan? We can rent our house out, which will more than cover the mortgage, but we realise we're going to have to trade our 3 bed house for a small 1 bed apartment.
- is living in the US really as bad as people say on this forum?! Some positivity would be nice! ;-)

We are under no illusions about living abroad and being away from friends and family, in our late twenties we did spend 18 months working in Oz, but feel that the travel time and cost to visit the UK from NY rather than from Oz will be much easier.

Anyway, enough waffling, if anyone has the time and inclination to respond to this then it would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Cheers,
Carl
Old Jan 29th 2012, 2:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Hi Carl

Sounds like you have quite the potential for an adventure here!

There are lots (really, lots) of threads already with all the advice as to what you should be looking for in relocation packages, so have a search/rummage around and you'll find lots of input.

Not sure about the negativity you mentioned. A forum such as this attracts lots of comparisons between the US and the UK, some favourable, some not. Can you be a bit more specific about what you've read that concerns you so we can focus our replies a little? The US is (obviously) a huge place, and some people on here have relocated from cities in the UK to rural areas here, and vice versa.

New York has some fantastic pubs and three cracking chippies, so that's a good start. I'd be all over this like a rash if I were you, as long as the relocation package is right and you can be reasonably confident you'll find work. I can't help on the latter perspective, however - but maybe someone more familiar with your qualifications can weigh in.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

mcweaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for thirtysomethings with opportunity to move from London to NY

Hi tonrob,

The threads I read were:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704066

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708796

However I have belated noticed that they are in the "Moving back to the UK" forum, so I guess the mindset is slightly more negative about the US on that forum.

Anyway, even if I don't get another reply, at least I've now got one positive message!

Cheers!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Do it
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcweaver
- is living in the US really as bad as people say on this forum?!
If you check out the other forums (Canada/Oz/New Zealand) on this site you'll see the U.S gets off fairly lightly - esp considering the weird healthcare system we have over here. If there was a UK forum here (as opposed to a 'moving back to the UK' forum) it would be filled with negativity too. Brits don't like living anywhere.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:50 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Do it
+1

Moving to NYC in your thirties, with no kids, and with a good relocation package; it's not quite a no-brainer, but it's definitely a great opportunity.

(I assume you're reading through the other relocation package threads, and will have seen this a million times... but make sure you're getting proper health insurance.)

Is this a negative forum? I don't think it's too bad, for an expat group! Plus, sometimes, the British perceptions of the US (open door immigration policy, vast and easy fortunes to be made) are so overly-optimistic that any attempts to be realistic sound negative.

FWIW, my husband and I (early thirties, no kids) really enjoy living in the US, but I expect we'll move back to Europe in a couple of yers.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely go for it.

Compared with most people you are in pretty much an ideal situation to try such a move - no kids, an existing employer facilitating the visas and the transfer and (potentially) two incomes once you are there.

A few pieces of advice though:
  • don't underestimate the one time costs of a move like this and try to get the company to pay for as much of it (including any income taxes) as is possible
  • remember that your status in the US depends on your spouse
  • make sure that there is a repatriation clause in the contract which requires the company to pay for your expenses in returning to the UK
  • even if you think that this is just going to be a temporary move for a few years get the company to start a green card application for both of you as soon as possible - if you decide not to stay long term you don't have to but having the green cards makes that your decision
  • it may be harder for you to find work than you think - if possible start networking and exploring your options as soon as possible
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

As you are both in your thirties, go for it! If you don´t do it now you probably never will, and also if later you decide for some reason or another to go back to the UK; you wont have lost anything. Like all places, there are advantages and disadvantages. We moved to Houston for 10 years, and although as a place I really disliked Houston, we did enjoy the time we were there. I´d do it again just for the experience. After 10 years we decided it wasn´t the lifestyle that we wanted for our son so we moved , but no regrets
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Definitely go for it.

Compared with most people you are in pretty much an ideal situation to try such a move - no kids, an existing employer facilitating the visas and the transfer and (potentially) two incomes once you are there.

A few pieces of advice though:
  • don't underestimate the one time costs of a move like this and try to get the company to pay for as much of it (including any income taxes) as is possible
  • remember that your status in the US depends on your spouse
  • make sure that there is a repatriation clause in the contract which requires the company to pay for your expenses in returning to the UK
  • even if you think that this is just going to be a temporary move for a few years get the company to start a green card application for both of you as soon as possible - if you decide not to stay long term you don't have to but having the green cards makes that your decision
  • it may be harder for you to find work than you think - if possible start networking and exploring your options as soon as possible
+1

This is good advice. I'd go for it (and did) but I don't know you. I think Brits tend to be negative in comparison to people in North American. The attitude in North America is more positive and "can do". If you come over with a positive attitude and can take some of the inevitable bumps, you'll be fine.

Health care is good when you can access the system - it's health insurance that is the real pain. Make sure you have a decent health plan through your wife's work. Also ask about coverage for any pre-existing conditions you might have.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcweaver
is living in the US really as bad as people say on this forum?! Some positivity would be nice!
Living in the US is almost never as good or bad as people suggest... it all depends on how realistic your expectations are. Those with unrealistic expectations are often disappointed. Those who want to escape the UK for whatever reason are often bitterly disappointed. Those who look at the US as an adventure to be embraced are often pleasantly surprised!

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2012, 7:48 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
as a place I really disliked Houston
I'm shocked. Houston's gorgeous.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Good luck and go for it!

Though check out the wiki as there's good info on things to look out for in a relocation package, such things like making sure they gross up the cash on relocation so that they are effectively paying the tax so you don't get out of pocket on the tax etc.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm shocked. Houston's gorgeous.
It´s all a matter of taste. I think Harare in Zimbabwe is gorgeous but there are many who think otherwise. It´s a good job that we don´t all think the same
Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
It´s all a matter of taste. I think Harare in Zimbabwe is gorgeous but there are many who think otherwise. It´s a good job that we don´t all think the same
<whoosh> That was the sound of Tonrob's sarcasm going right over your head.

OP - I'd definitely go for it in your position. Good luck!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:15 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
<whoosh> That was the sound of Tonrob's sarcasm going right over your head.

OP - I'd definitely go for it in your position. Good luck!
I'm sure Harare is gorgeous too. Some people even like Colwyn Bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.