Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving a dog to the usa

Moving a dog to the usa

Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Malamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really nice
Default Moving a dog to the usa

I've found all the vaccinations, going to pick up the crate next week but my question is how do you go about actually moving the dog.

My dog is an Alaskan Malamute, she's small for her breed at only 22" and 33kg.

How do I arrange to travel with her, do I phone ahead? someone said just turn up on the day.

I'm looking for a straight there flight to denver rather than going somewhere else and stressing her out further.

That's another thing i've heard you can't drug them anymore? but is there anything you can give them to help relax?

My girl is getting better in her crate but obviously 9-10 hours is a long time and we've invested in a thundershirt which helps quite a bit.

I tried to phone BA up but got nowhere and i've got no clue who can talk to to find out what I can give her, if she can wear her thundershirt and how I can fly her.

Thanks

Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving a dog to the usa

Very cute dog....

We moved our dog over, but this has been 8 years now (can't believe we've been here that long ) Anyway, things probably have changed, but we went with a pet travel agent, it was expensive, but they did a great job!
http://www.petravelagent.com/

I have read other threads and posts on this site (you can do your own search for threads on moving dogs to the US and come up with a lot of information) that have said they just booked with the relevant airline they were flying.

Good luck with the move!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been able to drug them? I was told by my vet 16 years ago that it wasn't possible unless there was a vet in attendance.

You will have to contact the airline and book your dog on the flight. They only allow a certain number on each flight. I don't know but I would be surprised if the dog was allowed to wear anything during travel...for it's own safety.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Malamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really niceMalamutt is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Very cute dog....

We moved our dog over, but this has been 8 years now (can't believe we've been here that long ) Anyway, things probably have changed, but we went with a pet travel agent, it was expensive, but they did a great job!
http://www.petravelagent.com/

I have read other threads and posts on this site (you can do your own search for threads on moving dogs to the US and come up with a lot of information) that have said they just booked with the relevant airline they were flying.

Good luck with the move!
Yes, we have come across a few but as you said it's very expensive and I just don't have that kind of money since I actually have no paid job so although I can just about afford most things, I can't afford to hire a pet traveler

Will ahve a search though, Thank you

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you ever been able to drug them? I was told by my vet 16 years ago that it wasn't possible unless there was a vet in attendance.

You will have to contact the airline and book your dog on the flight. They only allow a certain number on each flight. I don't know but I would be surprised if the dog was allowed to wear anything during travel...for it's own safety.
Interesting and makes you wonder then where the idea of drugging them came from?

I know of some flights that do but you have to ask and honestly trying to get hold of ba to do with dogs got me no where and that was when I was trying to take two dogs across (other was place to sleep due to cancer).
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, have found some useful info and may just end up going by QM2 which I know they allow thundershirts as i've spoke with 'em and it's cheaper than flying but only downside is the several days.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:24 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

BA doesn't let the customer book the animal directly...we had to go through a pet exporter for our cat, but it was pretty easy once we had decided who to go with.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malamutt
Thanks for the advice, have found some useful info and may just end up going by QM2 which I know they allow thundershirts as i've spoke with 'em and it's cheaper than flying but only downside is the several days.
You need to book months and months in advance to take your pet on the QM2.

How are you going to get your dog to Denver from New York?
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the airlines you're planning on flying with.

They each have their own rules, some needing a exporter, some allowing you to do it.

Some won't even fly animals to certain airports or during certain times of the year, it being to hot or to cold on the tarmac for instance.

It's not something to wing it with at the last minute, especially if there are any state specific requirements to bring a animal into that state and to get the animal licensed.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by avanutria
BA doesn't let the customer book the animal directly...we had to go through a pet exporter for our cat, but it was pretty easy once we had decided who to go with.
Yes, I just found this out

I have a pet exporter in mind and have spoken before and she's been helpful.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You need to book months and months in advance to take your pet on the QM2.

How are you going to get your dog to Denver from New York?
Yes, that much I do know.

Probably use pet airways at that point or plan a road trip.

Originally Posted by Bob
Ask the airlines you're planning on flying with.

They each have their own rules, some needing a exporter, some allowing you to do it.

Some won't even fly animals to certain airports or during certain times of the year, it being to hot or to cold on the tarmac for instance.

It's not something to wing it with at the last minute, especially if there are any state specific requirements to bring a animal into that state and to get the animal licensed.
Thank you and yes, I don't plan to try and wing it, would be fine if it was just me but with a larger dog it's somewhat harder, this is why i'm trying to figure out every option and costs first
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are moving our two dogs to San Francisco at the end of Jan and using Air Pets, not cheap but have been recommended.

http://www.airpets.com/
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:33 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Oooohhhhhh who's a cute doggy then.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi most airports and airlines insist on using a pet carrier. We came over in Sept 11 and having rung around, I found the cheapest for us was Jets 4 pets. We had an excellent service and would recommend them.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

MrsJaffy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautiful dog!

My husband and I are facing the same dilemma, getting our 7 year old Border Terrier over to New York. We immediately decided the QM2 was the only way to go only to find out that spaces in the on-board kennels sold-out within days of the 2012 schedule being announced. We are currently no. 1 on the waiting list for the April 27 sailing and have our fingers-crossed something opens up. I spoke to Robert at the Cunard Kennel department yesterday (based in San Francisco, Calif.) and the next available booking in November 2012. If we’re not successful in getting on the QM2 we’ll either go with BA or AA.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

MrsJaffy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s. Here is some good information from American Airlines. I believe that they allow you to book direct and not via an agent:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...CheckedBaggage

Good luck and please let us all know how you get on?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:58 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving a dog to the usa

Hello, we brought our 8 yr old mutt over in Sept 2011 via agent PBS and we flew continental Manchester UK to Newark NY. They were fantastic and when we went to pick him up from the pet desk at Newark they were already walking him in the yard and he was having a good pee up everything in sight. lol. We also looked at all the options regarding fees and basically found there is no less expensive option. Cost a fortune but would never have come without him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.