Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

So, after our first trip back, I thought I'd update you as to how it really went..... for anyone who's interested.......

The nerves turned quickly to excitement after arriving in Glasgow, and we all couldn't wait to see our families. It turned out to be very emotional, especially when I saw my parents and realised instantly, how much I had really missed them But they are both well and were delighted that we were home for the holidays. That was absolutely the best part of the trip.

I can't say the same about being back in Glasgow. We went to our local ASDA to get some supplies in (some wine to get me through the drama of the inlaws ), and right away I saw how miserable everyone looked. Granted, this was Xmas Eve and everyone seemed stressed beyond belief but the aggression was surprising to me. No-one would let you past, everyone seemed totally self consumed as if they were in some kind of Twilight Zone, and to be honest, I couldn't wait to get out of the place. The weather was awful the whole 12 days we were there, rain, wind, more rain...... and I don't think that was helping the mood.

We had a nice birthday party for my OH's father, and his sister and the rest of the family was there and it was like we'd never been away. We had already had an ear bashing for not staying with them, as I posted before, and of course, the had to make the point, on more than one occasion to both of us, and the kids, but I was expecting that.

Rest of the time was great, seeing all the cousins, friends of mine that I hadn't seen in many years that I'd got back in touch with, but it was exhausting. Trying to fit so much in and make sure that you saw everyone that you were expected to do, and we thought we'd done a good job. That was, until New Years Day.......

So, we went to a Hogmany party at my OH's cousins house where all the other cousins were. It was a great night. We'd decided to have lunch with my parents as this was our last day before heading home, and my 90 year old grandmother was down from St Andrews. It was lovely but the intrepedation of having to say goodbye to my mum was awful, and it was as bad as I thought it would be. I think I felt worse this time than I did on the initial move and I found it really upsetting. Anyway, after that we headed to my OH's parents to have - or what we thought - a bit of dinner etc before we left. Oh how wrong could I have been.......

I was first in to the house and immediately sensed an atmosphere, but never thought much about it. Wished my MIL a Happy New Year and she responded. Headed in to the living room where my FIL was and he was sitting in front of the TV. Went over to wish him a Happy New Year, where I was met with a refusal to wish me one back. I kind of looked surprised and then it happened - the launch in to how we hadn't spent enough time with them, the way we've treated them...... at which point I shouted on my hubby who came in to the living room and was then set upon with a barrage of abuse, in front of my 3 daughters, so my oldest who is 18 decided to stick up for her dad and got set upon also, tried to run out the door in floods of tears, only to be aprehended by his side kick who was waving a metal serving spoon she'd been washing, trying to stop her going out the door........ it was like something I've never witnessed before. My husband basically said that, that was it, we left and had the door slammed behind us. So, all 3 kids were in tears, hubby was eh, raging to say the least, and I was livid. What a shit end to a mostly wonderful holiday. We kind of knew that the amount of time we'd spend with them would never be enough but never expected what came out of his fathers mouth, especially in front of his grand daughters.

So, in summary, my nerves were not really necessary before we went, it was really nice to spend time with people who we care about, and I now know where my home is for the time being. Even with the upset of leaving my parents who both got upset, I know that we did the right thing for us at the time of moving over here, and will continue to take it one day at a time for as long as it continues. Do I miss things from home?? Of course, I think we all do. Is there anything that would pull me back tomorrow apart from my mum and dad?? Absolutely not, and I know we will all be okay as long as we stick together as our family unit.

We had 2 phone calls from the MIL the next morning as were rushing about packing the last minute items, but my hubby declined them. He feels really hurt as we didn't, and still don't, think we did anything wrong, and to be honest, I don't really know how to deal with the situation apart from leaving it well alone..... and on that note, I'm off to go on a complete detox, I have never eaten and drank so much rubbish in all my life and we ended up having to buy another suitcase, just for the sweets and chocolate that the kids had decided to bring back.

So, here's to a happy and healthy 2012 to everyone and I'm starting to save up now for another trip back home next Christmas, all going well that is......
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back in 2 years - how it really was.....

Ahhh, the relatives....

Anyway, it sounds like it wasn't too bad of a time. Glad you made it back safely!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about how your inlaws were with you all at the end of your visit. but glad to hear you otherwise had a good trip back to the old country. When we were there last year for my brothers wedding, it was pretty similar in that the beginning was good and we saw loads of people we had not seen for ages but then it all went very badly right at the end and about 10 months later it is still not been sorted. (I am sure I told you about what happened)

The weather in Scotland has been awful this last little while! Not sure I'd want to be there right now and I have no idea when/if we will go back.

Anyway, glad you made it back to the US in one piece and didn't lose your mind due to the flight problems!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Sorry to hear about how your inlaws were with you all at the end of your visit. but glad to hear you otherwise had a good trip back to the old country. When we were there last year for my brothers wedding, it was pretty similar in that the beginning was good and we saw loads of people we had not seen for ages but then it all went very badly right at the end and about 10 months later it is still not been sorted. (I am sure I told you about what happened)

The weather in Scotland has been awful this last little while! Not sure I'd want to be there right now and I have no idea when/if we will go back.

Anyway, glad you made it back to the US in one piece and didn't lose your mind due to the flight problems!
Thanks Sarah, yeah, I remember the problems you had too. The weather was awful to say the least and I am so glad to be back to sunshine, even though it is baltic this morning. I'm glad we went and look forward to the next trip to see my mum and dad
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Now you know why I don't like going back
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Now you know why I don't like going back
springs to mind.........
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I do think though that if I want to see any of my family again, I will have to go to the UK as they won't come over here. Perhaps with the exception of my younger brother.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
springs to mind.........
Yes funnily enough that looks like me and mother
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

glad you had a good time when back, except of course for the inlaws...but, the weather is always crap in Scotland lol, im gonna enjoy the next couple of years in the sun before heading back sometime in 2014 or 2015 to stay.
whether i have any holidays back or not , ive no idea, we will just need to wait and see, had family and friends out visiting us a few weeks ago so its not all bad hehe
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulpur
... the weather is always crap in Scotland....
The year just gone - 2011 - was the wettest ever recorded in much of Western Scotland, and especially in the western Highlands region, rainfall totals much above average, and yesterday there were 100mph westerly winds recorded here in Edinburgh, in the south east of Scotland....trees falling like skittles all over the place.

Conversely, eastern and south eastern parts of England and parts of the south west Midlands region of England had one of the driest years recorded during 2011 with rainfall totals very much below normal. Drought conditions prevail in Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Suffolk, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.....a dry summer 2012 would be disastrous in those areas with high warer consumption.

Boring? To all/most of you - yes. To me - n....well, yes, I suppose but I have to maintain a reputation.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

lol , seems Lothianlad is stepping up as our resident Scottish weatherman hehe
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sod 'em. It's their loss.

Simple as that.

Don't worry about it, nor give it a second thought.

Flights aren't a one way streak and as you've shown, people can escape Scotland, so there's nothing stopping the miserables from coming over either for a visit.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Sod 'em. It's their loss.

Simple as that.

Don't worry about it, nor give it a second thought.

Flights aren't a one way streak and as you've shown, people can escape Scotland, so there's nothing stopping the miserables from coming over either for a visit.
But would I really want them to...............
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:24 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry your inlaws were such arses, glad you enjoyed most of your trip home though. It's funny how it can make you realize that the US is home.

My husband hasn't spoken to his Mum since we came back from England in June. There was no bust up while we were there, she just reacted like we had nipped in for a cup of tea from up the road, didn't ask about our lives at all, didn't engage with our daughter....
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
But would I really want them to...............
True, but there are plenty of woods out your way aren't there? Just a case of opps, it is winter...now where did they go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.