Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sevilla

Moving to Sevilla

Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

matchrissy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Sevilla

Hello new here, been reading and reading over the past few days, and now I am wondering if I really do want to take the Job I have been offered in Spain.

I have been offered a job in Sevilla, so before I say yes, I have been given time to find out if its really what I want to do.
My whole family will be moving , Wife and 2 children 11 and 8

the job is, in the area of Alcalá de Guadaíra, next to A-92.

I have tried looking on some of the estate agent sites like kyero.com but don't have any idea what are the nice areas to be looking at.

I think initially we will rent, but we would be looking to buy within 12 months as the contract is a permanent one......something in itself that is giving me the willys(not the contract...lol)

we would like to live within commuting distance, and when we buy we would be looking at a Villa, well something with a pool, although to rent we would have to see what is available.

from what I have read it will be better to sell any cars in the UK as its costs a lot to get registered in Spain? and to be honest, its no issue to buy new cars in Spain

is it possible/easy to get a Mortgage or a Loan in Spain?

Open a bank account?

we will have Medicare with the package from the job offer

I am willing to learn Spanish, as is the whole family but initially we don't have a clue, this is the second biggest issue

at the moment this is all I can think off

hope you can help, the job is a one in a lifetime chance, but something just makes me feel uneasy with the possible move, I don't have an issue living overseas, I lived in Germany for 15 years.

REgards

MatChrissy
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sevilla

Hi MattChrissy

I'm not sure I can advise you on whether to take the job as that is something only you can know. I do have some questions that may help you though:
1. Do you like Spain? Do you want your kids to grow up in a Spanish way of life?
2. Sevilla is a lovely city with some very nice and very deprived areas. I dont know what it is like near where you will be working or even if there are villas with pools there (Spanish cities have flats no houses, if you want to live in a house you have to commute)
3. Sevilla is an uncomfortable city. It is boiling in the summer, regularly over 40c. It is 10c warmer than where I live and July/Aug feelsunbearable here! Also the traffic is terrible
4. I'd say the best thing about Sevilla is the rich culture which is very particular to Seville, if that doesnt interest you then there wouldnt be too many reasons to be there
5. Yes the language. It will be very difficult for your family to get by with no Spanish. Languages take time (years) to learn
6. Do your children want to go to a Spanish schools and learn everything in a new language. I dont think there are any English speaking schools there

This could be great, but your family has to be 100% comitted concerning the language and education for it to be a success. Its not the same as living in the more interenational touristy areas on the Coast
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
Hi MattChrissy

I'm not sure I can advise you on whether to take the job as that is something only you can know. I do have some questions that may help you though:
1. Do you like Spain? Do you want your kids to grow up in a Spanish way of life?
2. Sevilla is a lovely city with some very nice and very deprived areas. I dont know what it is like near where you will be working or even if there are villas with pools there (Spanish cities have flats no houses, if you want to live in a house you have to commute)
3. Sevilla is an uncomfortable city. It is boiling in the summer, regularly over 40c. It is 10c warmer than where I live and July/Aug feelsunbearable here! Also the traffic is terrible
4. I'd say the best thing about Sevilla is the rich culture which is very particular to Seville, if that doesnt interest you then there wouldnt be too many reasons to be there
5. Yes the language. It will be very difficult for your family to get by with no Spanish. Languages take time (years) to learn
6. Do your children want to go to a Spanish schools and learn everything in a new language. I dont think there are any English speaking schools there

This could be great, but your family has to be 100% comitted concerning the language and education for it to be a success. Its not the same as living in the more interenational touristy areas on the Coast
Hi cricketman thanks for the reply,

Yes we do like Spain, but we have only been there on holiday before, we have travelled a lot throughout Europe including Southern France, we dont have an issue with the kids growing up in another country, as i said before we lived in Germany for 15 years, in fact having only been back in the UK this time for just over 2 years, although i understand there are international schools near Sevilla.

regards the location to live, i would be happy to commute around 30 mins up to 45 mins, from what i have read, I don't think I would want to live within Seville itself.
I appreciate the difficulties we will experiance with the language, but hey i had to learn German.

I am fortunate, that the company is an international company and my role is working within English speaking environment most of the time, but.....I am prepared to learn the language, I would like to think that if I try, then the locals will at least try and help me?

I suppose what I would like to find at the moment is, information regarding the areas within commutable distance of the area of Sevilla, where I know the company is located.

Totally appreciate the help.....and if anyone can help with the other Qs, i suppose its just pre decision blues.

thanks

M
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:28 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Alcala is a suburb of Sevilla really, on the outskirts. Traffic jams can get pretty bad around that area ar rush hour times. Within striking distance for commuting, I'd suggest you look at Dos Hermanas, Utrera or back along the A92 as far as Marchena. There are a few expats in the Marchena area with children at the local schools. Rent first until you suss out the best commuting route and schools! You'd be able to rent in Alcala itself at first no problem...not sure that you'd want to stay there for long though!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Glad that you are gaining some information already and hope that more people from around the area will pop in and give you the benefit of their experiences. It is always difficult making these life changing decisions and the more research that you do the easier it becomes. Good luck with your research and with the new job if that is your decision.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

I have PM'd you

caz
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

betis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mat & Chrissy I have sent you some details in a private message. Regards Trevor
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the Pms, that's just the positive info i need, will reply later

VERY much appreciated

m/c

Last edited by matchrissy; Dec 5th 2011 at 4:14 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn´t even consider buying for at least 12-18 months. As previous poster has said it is unbearable in Seville during the summer months but what an adventure for the family. Your children are still at an age where they could fit in to a Spanish school, traumatic at first but they will soon become fluent. Rather harder for oldsters though - still trying after seven years. I think the best thing is that you have a job to go to. It isn´t a prison sentence if you don´t like it you can go back as long as you don´t buy too soon.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I wouldn´t even consider buying for at least 12-18 months. As previous poster has said it is unbearable in Seville during the summer months but what an adventure for the family. Your children are still at an age where they could fit in to a Spanish school, traumatic at first but they will soon become fluent. Rather harder for oldsters though - still trying after seven years. I think the best thing is that you have a job to go to. It isn´t a prison sentence if you don´t like it you can go back as long as you don´t buy too soon.
Yup I wont be buying within the first year for definite, just wont be a consideration, good as the job may be, I want to make sure the family is all happy
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the car question. What is your present car like? Is it a decent vehicle if so I would look at bringing it over. Secondhand cars are very expensive here plus they are not looked after so you wouldn´t really know what you are buying. We brought our VW Bora over seven years ago and it is still going strong, and it is 12 years old. We had it put on to Spanish plates though a lot of Brits don´t bother.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
I have PM'd you

caz
Originally Posted by betis
Hi Mat & Chrissy I have sent you some details in a private message. Regards Trevor
Why don`t you post the info on here in case someone else is thinking of moving too, or are you just touting for business in the pm`s
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Why don`t you post the info on here in case someone else is thinking of moving too, or are you just touting for business in the pm`s
I could have posted in here and I am quite happy to do so. I was not touting for business. I have told matchrissy the cost of villas with pools just outside of Sevilla, which I assumed you would class as advertising, although irrelevant as they wish to rent. It was just to give them some idea!!. Other than that it was just general info as I live close by.

Caz
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Perhaps it would be nice to change etiquette to say what the contents of the pm are and why the contents weren´t made public - just a suggestion.

I visit Seville frequently and it is only "too hot" between say 1 - 5 in July and August; before & after those times I would suggest that most people acclimatise. I tend to wilt as the temperature approaches 40C but am quite happy around 35C, but not all people are. And you may want airconditioning in your bedroom as some people can´t sleep in the nice warm temperatures

Davexf
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Perhaps it would be nice to change etiquette to say what the contents of the pm are and why the contents weren´t made public - just a suggestion.

I visit Seville frequently and it is only "too hot" between say 1 - 5 in July and August; before & after those times I would suggest that most people acclimatise. I tend to wilt as the temperature approaches 40C but am quite happy around 35C, but not all people are. And you may want airconditioning in your bedroom as some people can´t sleep in the nice warm temperatures

Davexf
It is hot but you get used to it. My OH kept the duvet on all summer....A bit extreme!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.