Im a little confused now.

Old Nov 12th 2011, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

kathy_FROMFLORIDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im a little confused now.

I left the U.S in 2006 after living there for a considerable amount of time,I have not returned to the U.S from 2006 to present.My G/C has an expiry date of 2007 on it.I still have possession of the G/C.
I would like to visit the U.S for a 3 week trip.

Q What is the easiest way of visiting the U.S for a short vacation,should I just complete the ESTA questionnaire as a visitor does,have my vacation and return to the UK.As a UK citizen Im living in the UK now.

Any help really is appreciated.
Thanks.
Kathy.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 10:25 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Im a little confused now.

Originally Posted by kathy_FROMFLORIDA
I left the U.S in 2006 after living there for a considerable amount of time,I have not returned to the U.S from 2006 to present.My G/C has an expiry date of 2007 on it.I still have possession of the G/C.
I would like to visit the U.S for a 3 week trip.

Q What is the easiest way of visiting the U.S for a short vacation,should I just complete the ESTA questionnaire as a visitor does,have my vacation and return to the UK.As a UK citizen Im living in the UK now.

Any help really is appreciated.
Thanks.
Kathy.
Formally surrender the LPR status by completing an I-407 at the consulate along with the submission of a visitor visa application. You'll essentially trade one for the other. The VWP is a possibility, but without knowing a lot more about your route to LPR status the last time, I can't gauge your chances. Sometimes people break a few eggs during that process and end up ineligible for the VWP, or have other things to sort out.

BTW: Sometimes people who are LPRs end up automatically becoming a USC because they were under the age of 18 and living in the custody of a US citizen parent. They may not even know it. It's a possibility that could apply to you depending on your situation.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
Formally surrender the LPR status by completing an I-407 at the consulate along with the submission of a visitor visa application. You'll essentially trade one for the other. The VWP is a possibility, but without knowing a lot more about your route to LPR status the last time, I can't gauge your chances. Sometimes people break a few eggs during that process and end up ineligible for the VWP, or have other things to sort out.

BTW: Sometimes people who are LPRs end up automatically becoming a USC because they were under the age of 18 and living in the custody of a US citizen parent. They may not even know it. It's a possibility that could apply to you depending on your situation.
Thanks for the information.
If possible I really would like to hang on to the G/C.
I was wondering what would happen if I completed the ESTA form and showed up in the U.S had my vacation and came back to UK,I suppose im wondering if immigration would know if I had an expired G/C?
Old Nov 13th 2011, 12:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You can keep it if you want... but remember that the GC is proof of your status as a PR... it is not the status itself. Even though you have the card, it's more than likely that your status as a permanent resident has long ago been abandoned. That said, time outside of the US, by itself, is not sufficient for a finding of abandonment... but the dark forces will likely see it differently.

I was wondering what would happen if I completed the ESTA form and showed up in the U.S had my vacation and came back to UK,I suppose im wondering if immigration would know if I had an expired G/C?
You must assume they know... because no one can tell you whether they actually do or not.

That said, if you're not intending to come back to the US to live, submit form I-407. If you do that, your prior status as a PR will not come into question if/when you visit the US.

Ian
Old Nov 13th 2011, 12:49 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If things don't go your way at the border, you may find yourself in removal proceedings. That means you will have to appear at multiple hearings, possibly pay for legal counsel out of your pocket, as well as the expense of either staying in a hotel for a few months/years or flying back and forth to court. If you skip a court date, they can order you removed in absentia and barred from reentering the US for five years or longer. The judge will want to see things like where you have been residing and working and if that was in the US like it was supposed to be. Also, LPRs are supposed to file taxes etc.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you crg.
What would be the situation if I decided that it may be best to abandon the G/C,would I just complete the on line ESTA form show up in the U.S and have my vacation..which I believe would be a maximum of 3 months?
Thank you.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can keep it if you want... but remember that the GC is proof of your status as a PR... it is not the status itself. Even though you have the card, it's more than likely that your status as a permanent resident has long ago been abandoned. That said, time outside of the US, by itself, is not sufficient for a finding of abandonment... but the dark forces will likely see it differently.

You must assume they know... because no one can tell you whether they actually do or not.

That said, if you're not intending to come back to the US to live, submit form I-407. If you do that, your prior status as a PR will not come into question if/when you visit the US.

Ian
Thank you Ian.
I may decide to give up the G/C and just have vacations in the U.S.
Thank you.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:46 pm
crg
American Expat

Thank you crg.
What would be the situation if I decided that it may be best to abandon the G/C,would I just complete the on line ESTA form show up in the U.S and have my vacation..which I believe would be a maximum of 3 months?
Thank you.
It would be helpful to know what mechanism you used to get the green card in the first place, and if you broke any rules along the way.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
It would be helpful to know what mechanism you used to get the green card in the first place, and if you broke any rules along the way.
What are you suggesting...broke the rules,why do you say that..are you accusing me of something ??because if you are I do not appreciate it do you understand that??
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

What are you suggesting...broke the rules,why do you say that..are you accusing me of something ??because if you are I do not appreciate it do you understand that??
Reactions like that immediately make people think you are hiding something, especially true of immigration officials. You probably want to grow a thicker skin and reply with something more along the lines of "I got my greencard via X and I didn't break any rules as far as I know"
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:32 pm
crg
American Expat

Take a pill or something. You're asking specific questions, yet provide no useful information on which to base a response. For all we know, you received your green card after sneaking into the US with a fake passport and claiming asylum. You won't say. Until you do, nobody can even come close to answering your question.

There are thousands of scenarios that would make you ineligible for the VWP. You could even have a mental disorder that makes you a danger to yourself or others....... (your unprovoked ranting may indicate that is more likely than I would have previously thought).

Unless you can provide some details, this thread is about as useful as howling down a well.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I left the U.S in 2006 after living there for a considerable amount of time,I have not returned to the U.S from 2006 to present.My G/C has an expiry date of 2007 on it.
In a post June 3 2008 you said you were a US citizen, so which is it?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...14&postcount=9
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
In a post June 3 2008 you said you were a US citizen, so which is it?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...14&postcount=9
Probably asking for a friend.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Crg accused me of breaking some rules along the way...he is way out of line with type of questioning,I ask a perfectly legitimate question...I even suggest that I may give up the G/C so that I can go to the U.S for an innocent vacation and now CRG is asking me if I broke any rules in the process of obtaining my G/G...you are out of order... wow..what kind of a forum is this?
amateurs.goodbye.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Crg accused me of breaking some rules along the way...he is way out of line with type of questioning,I ask a perfectly legitimate question...I even suggest that I may give up the G/C so that I can go to the U.S for an innocent vacation and now CRG is asking me if I broke any rules in the process of obtaining my G/G...you are out of order... wow..what kind of a forum is this?
amateurs.goodbye.
Bye!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.