Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Driving across the border into Thailand - procedures

Driving across the border into Thailand - procedures

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:36 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving across the border into Thailand - procedures

We've done the journey from Penang to Phuket about 4 or 5 times in the last year, so we're now old hands I guess. It's a bit of a performance at the border on the Thai side but, like anything, once you've done it, it becomes easier.

Insurance:

You need (preferably) to get an extension on your Malaysian car insurance so that you're covered for Thailand. We're with MSIG and they only do cover for short trips for a "foreigner". There may be other insurance companies that cover but have never checked into it (so far). I suspect this is not a legal requirement but seems foolish not to do it. It's not very cheap though.

On the Thai side, legally you need Thai 3rd party insurance, which basically insures the 3rd party if you're in some kind of accident in Thailand. Having said that, I don't think anyone's taken much notice if we've got the bit of paper or not.

You can get the Thai 3rd party insurance just before the border at Sadao. Literally just before Malaysian Immigration checkpoint, there's a row of shops on the left. Pick one of the insurance shops and ask for car insurance for Thailand. It doesn't cost very much at all. They'll need your passport and Malaysian car registration document.

At the border: (see next post)
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving across the border into Thailand - procedures

At the border:

We've only been through the Sadao border crossing so that's all I know.

On the Malaysian Immigration side, it's a doddle. Just stop at one of the booths then they'll stamp up your passport. They've recently introduced fingerprinting (for some). We've got the MM2H visa and we did not get fingerprinted.... but.... it's apparently not consistent. Some folks have.

On the Thai Immigration side. Just before Immigration there's an open car park to the left. Go and park up car and walk back to Immigration. Go through the little turnstile. If you've not got a Thai entry card to fill in, go to the office on the left and they'll have them. I usually pick up a handful for future journeys.

Queue up at one of the passport counters to get your passport stamped up.

Then go to the desk for car importation. You have to literally walk through into Thailand LOL and back round to the car desk. (Don't forget, this is Thailand). There's two counters. Go to the one on the right first (you may have to queue). Present your passport, car registration document and Thai insurance. They'll input on their computer and hand you back a car import form (can't remember the official name for it).

Then you go to the counter next to it (to the left) and they'll stamp various things and get you to sign in various places. At no time do they ask to see the car (which seems totally barmy to me).

Now you have to walk back to the car park, then drive through the border. I usually just wind down window and wave the import form about. Nobody actually takes much notice.

That's it.

I'll do a posting about the return journey through the border tomorrow as I'm running out of time today. Bet you can't wait
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:33 am

Returning back through the Thai/Malaysia border at Sadao:

The return journey is a bit easier. At Thai Immigration counters, try and park up near the last counter over to the left-hand side. It's not official car park but most people seem to do it and it's convenient.

Go to one of the passport booths and get passport stamped.

Then go to the Car import booth. It's the last booth. They need the Car Import document back. **This is very important** I think you have to sign it again. Then on your way back to Malaysian Immigration.

At Malaysian Immigration passport booths, they'll stamp passport (and possibly the fingerprinting routine). You also need to pay the first Expressway charge (for the North-South Highway). If you've got a Touch n Go card, just swipe it on the machine.

Then you drive on and stop for Malaysian Immigration to check over and inside your vehicle. It's a bit of a cursory check. Just a quick look in the car and in the boot/trunk.

And that's it.... on your way.

We always do the crossings mid-week. We've been told by others that it gets very busy Fridays and Mondays, with Malaysians going for a RnR break in Thailand

If anyone's got any variations on the above, please do post, as I know that there can be some inconsistencies at border crossings (putting it mildly).
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:53 am

KAPPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very very much for that. exactly what I needed to know though at this point I think just leaving the car in My is better. Are the roads OK? How long a drive in hours from Penang to Phuket, please
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:28 am

If you did the journey non-stop (which we don't) it's probably about 10 hours from Penang island to top of Phuket island. On the Malaysia side, it's mainly Expressway so you can make fast progress. On the Thai side, no expressway. The roads are generally quite good except for where they are digging up and building flyovers etc. Occasionally you get a bit of dual carriageway but mainly single, so you're just at the mercy of whether you get something slow moving in front, and the occasional cow wandering into the road

The scenery between Phattalung and Trang is really nice. It's national parkland and lots of wooded hills. The road itself is quite good though undulating, so if you get behind a tanker or something, it's a bit slow. We usually stop overnight in Trang. Most of the hotels in Trang are dumps as far as I know, but we found a brilliant one on the last trip up. Brand new hotel called Rua Rasada on the main road into Trang. Just like a 5 star Hilton but at a fraction of the price.