Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NEWBIES - moving to Canmore

NEWBIES - moving to Canmore

Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

beaujolais is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEWBIES - moving to Canmore

We are moving to Canmore in August- at long last...... Are there any brits in the area that would like to offer advice on local stuff and maybe meet up when we get there. We will be in Silvertip.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEWBIES - moving to Canmore

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your move.

Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks............we are so excited.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:11 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beaujolais
We are moving to Canmore in August- at long last...... Are there any brits in the area that would like to offer advice on local stuff and maybe meet up when we get there. We will be in Silvertip.
Hi there. All the best with your move. We're not in Canmore but about half an hour away in Cochrane. Canmore is beautiful. There's some lovely walks we do up there and there's a nice off-leash area for the dogs too. Sorry but don't really have the insider knowledge on living there but if there's anything more general I can help with, give us a shout!

Good luck (hopefully it will have stopped raining by August)!!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I shop here occasionally: www.valbellagourmetfoods.ca - way better than the crap at the supermarket.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have a lot of info on Canmore, although I do enjoy visiting the area! Silvertip golf course has a fab restaurant and bar with stunning views though!
We are here to help if we can with any info, do you have jobs to come to?
And Carolyn, PLEASE let it stop raining by then! In fact by next monday night would be nice so that our soccer isnt cancelled again!!!LOL
Good luck guys!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: NEWBIES - moving to Canmore

Hi
Thanks for the reply. No we don't have jobs to come too, will get round to that at some point in the future. we have 16 yr old son and a large dog. Our house backs onto the golf course. Thanks for the offer of advice- I'm sure we will be using the site and offers all too soon.
Ann
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for the reply. No we don't have jobs to come too, will get round to that at some point in the future. we have 16 yr old son and a large dog. Our house backs onto the golf course. Thanks for the offer of advice- I'm sure we will be using the site and offers all too soon.
Ann
Work is not that easy to obtain in Canmore. I wish you all the best.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Guess you could do the hour+ each-way commute into Calgary twice a day for work? I'm sure others do it. I would live there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact our careers are now established in Calgary. Good luck!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Guess you could do the hour+ each-way commute into Calgary twice a day for work? I'm sure others do it. I would live there in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact our careers are now established in Calgary. Good luck!
A good friend of mine lives in Canmore. She says that people try this and, invariably, give up within a year. Doing it once a week to go skiing pisses me off, and I love to ski, heaven knows how one would cope doing it for one week.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Well, himself has been doing it for 6 whole weeks now. No idea if he'll last the year, ask me in 11 months... Given that he used to commute for well over an hour in gridlock in the UK he claims it's fine, but he's definitely picked the right time of year to start!

<waves to Ann and big dog>
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
A good friend of mine lives in Canmore. She says that people try this and, invariably, give up within a year. Doing it once a week to go skiing pisses me off, and I love to ski, heaven knows how one would cope doing it for one week.
Been doing this for a year now... and it's fine....1hr Canmore to downtown yyc and surprisingly safer in the winter! (Far too many major accidents witnessed this summer! idiots!)

Compared to the trains in London, or the drives in North Van/Ontario/Okotoks, etc it's not really too bad.

I find it a good way to wind down after a days work....
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

What do you want to know???
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Been doing this for a year now... and it's fine....1hr Canmore to downtown yyc and surprisingly safer in the winter! (Far too many major accidents witnessed this summer! idiots!)

Compared to the trains in London, or the drives in North Van/Ontario/Okotoks, etc it's not really too bad.

I find it a good way to wind down after a days work....
Wow. That's about 50,000km a year just on the commute.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Wow. That's about 50,000km a year just on the commute.
And?

Open highway driving is easy on the car, very rarely end up in traffic so spend less on fuel relative to anyone on the Deerfoot. Do all my own minor maintenance to keep the car ticking over nicely.

Only downside is Friday evenings in the summer...... Damn RV's!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.