Dual citizen

Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:52 am
Just Joined

gworrall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizen

Hi all,

I have dual citizenship due to my mother being born in America (she lives in the UK now), and so I hold both British and American passports.
I am considering a move to America from England to live and work permanently, my question is will my US passport allow me to stay in the US permanently, and work without any visa? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but just would like this to be clear.

I am single and don't have too many ties to England that would mean a lot of extra organisation before arranging to move.

I know about the situation with credit history not transferring from the UK to America, and that I would need to contact the IRS pretty quickly to sort out my taxes, I would just like the visa/passport situation to be made crystal clear for me. Thanks!
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen

With your US passport you are good to go and live in the US. Do you have a consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate? If not, you should obtain a copy.

Also - if you're male and aged under 26, you need to register with Selective Service. http://www.sss.gov
If you're over 26 then it's too late to register and you may encounter some issues as a result in the USA.

If your mother hasn't become a British citizen so far, she also should consider naturalisation.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
With your US passport you are good to go and live in the US. Do you have a consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate? If not, you should obtain a copy.

Also - if you're male and aged under 26, you need to register with Selective Service. http://www.sss.gov
If you're over 26 then it's too late to register and you may encounter some issues as a result in the USA.

If your mother hasn't become a British citizen so far, she also should consider naturalisation.
Don't forget taxes.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Don't forget taxes.
He hasn't forgotten them ...

Originally Posted by gworrall
... and that I would need to contact the IRS pretty quickly to sort out my taxes ...
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Thanks for the answer JAJ, but could you elaborate on the above? I'm over 26 by the way.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answer JAJ, but could you elaborate on the above? I'm over 26 by the way.
All male US citizens, aged 18-26, must register with Selective Service (= military draft) regardless of whether or not they live in the US. If you're over 26, I don't think it'll be an issue for you... but y'never know! You certainly won't be refused admission to the US (as a US citizen, you are guaranteed admission), but you could be detained until they sort out why you didn't register. Again, I think it's a very slim chance, but it's non-zero!

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All male US citizens, aged 18-26, must register with Selective Service (= military draft) regardless of whether or not they live in the US. If you're over 26, I don't think it'll be an issue for you... but y'never know! You certainly won't be refused admission to the US (as a US citizen, you are guaranteed admission), but you could be detained until they sort out why you didn't register.
http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm
Old Jun 11th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
By the way, the OP should note that the statement about US citizenship in that document which says

If you did not register with Selective Service, and are now a man over age 25, you may be ineligible for certain Federal or state programs and benefits, including U.S. citizenship.
does not apply to him as far as citizenship is concerned because he already is a US citizen.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
All male US citizens, aged 18-26, must register with Selective Service (= military draft) regardless of whether or not they live in the US. If you're over 26, I don't think it'll be an issue for you... but y'never know! You certainly won't be refused admission to the US (as a US citizen, you are guaranteed admission), but you could be detained until they sort out why you didn't register. Again, I think it's a very slim chance, but it's non-zero!

Ian
The big one, as he's already a USC, would be potentially not being eligible for any Federal student aid.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info people. I'm confused (just for a change) with the whole selective service thing, although I have read up on it. If I was never advised by anyone about this at 18 how could I know about it, unless I had tried to emigrate at that age? Seems a little unfair. I genuinely did not know about this until yesterday/today, I just thought that if I was required to serve in the US I would be contacted.
Of course if I had lived in the US for any length of time I would most likely have found out about this, but I have lived in the UK all my life to date.
I'm not overly concerned about it, or about the federal student aid, so long as it doesn't prevent me living/working (hopefully!) in America.

Last edited by gworrall; Jun 12th 2011 at 12:01 am.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info people. I'm confused (just for a change) with the whole selective service thing, although I have read up on it. If I was never advised by anyone about this at 18 how could I know about it, unless I had tried to emigrate at that age? Seems a little unfair. I genuinely did not know about this until yesterday/today, I just thought that if I was required to serve in the US I would be contacted.
Of course if I had lived in the US for any length of time I would most likely have found out about this, but I have lived in the UK all my life to date.
I'm not overly concerned about it, or about the federal student aid, so long as it doesn't prevent me living/working (hopefully!) in America.
Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is your own problem, as harsh as it is.

But it shouldn't cause to many problems as you're already a US citizen, so that alone means you can come and go as you please.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks Bob - and everyone else. Got a lot of things to think about and organise.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is your own problem, as harsh as it is.
Actually selective service registration is one of the few places where, from a practical standpoint at least, ignorance of the law does help.

Quoting once again from Selective Service System Fast Facts

A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually selective service registration is one of the few places where, from a practical standpoint at least, ignorance of the law does help.

Quoting once again from Selective Service System Fast Facts
hard to prove a negative though...
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
hard to prove a negative though...
Yes, but we are only talking about needing to show by "a preponderance of the evidence" that he didn't know about the selective service requirement and, realistically, it seems to me that the fact that he left the US as an infant and has lived outside of the US ever since goes a long way towards making that case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.