Green card

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Discodancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card

Hi guys hope someone can give me some advice. I lived in the USA for 4 years I have a green card that expires in July 2014 I left the USA in may 2008 as my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer and my father had major heart surgery. My question is will my green card still be active as I left the country and came back to the UK. I am a registered nurse so would be okay to gain employment back in the US.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card

Originally Posted by Discodancer
Hi guys hope someone can give me some advice. I lived in the USA for 4 years I have a green card that expires in July 2014 I left the USA in may 2008 as my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer and my father had major heart surgery. My question is will my green card still be active as I left the country and came back to the UK. I am a registered nurse so would be okay to gain employment back in the US.
This is a very grey area. Have you been outside the USA continuously for these past 3 years? No trips back to the USA at all?

I assume you did not obtain a re-entry permit when you left the USA in 2008?

What ties have you maintained in the USA? Have you continued to file a US tax return each year? Do you still have your home in the USA?

It's entirely possible you have abandoned your US PR status, but only a US Immigration Judge can make that determination. If you try to enter the USA using the card you have, the POE officer cannot turn you away, but can let you enter the USA while you wait to seen Immigrant Judge (which could take some time...days, weeks, etc).

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:12 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1333.html
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your answer, would it be worth going to the American embassy in London? I don't have a home in the US I still have bank accounts and am still licensed to work as a nurse.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:32 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your answer, would it be worth going to the American embassy in London? I don't have a home in the US I still have bank accounts and am still licensed to work as a nurse.
Abandonment cases are very complex. Even if we knew all of the details, it would be innapropriate give you specific advice on how to proceed.

It may help if you tell us how you originally obtained LPR status.

How old are you now?

What is the citizenship of your parents?

Were you ever,while under the age of 18, residing in the US with a US citizen parent?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

I got the green card as I am a nurse and immigrated to the US with a recruitment company. I'm 49 years old.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This is definitely in the realms of wanting to speak to an experienced immigration lawyer, experienced in abandonment cases...
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
This is definitely in the realms of wanting to speak to an experienced immigration lawyer, experienced in abandonment cases...
+1

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:38 pm

Hi thanks for your answer, would it be worth going to the American embassy in London?
Probably not, unless it's with an application for a returning resident's visa. Look into the details to see if you qualify.

I don't have a home in the US I still have bank accounts and am still licensed to work as a nurse.
Did you file a US tax return each year?

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:40 pm
crg
American Expat

You just have to be careful that the attorney doesn't select a strategy based on what is most lucrative for him or her.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

No I haven't filed tax returns as I haven't being working in the US however I have been paying taxes in the UK. As previously mentioned I left the USA for family health reasons not because I wanted to. I'm considering signing up with a nursing agency and maybe returning to the US that way as I would have acess to their immigration lawyers. Another question I have us would it be worth contacting the US embassy in London as they issued the visas.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto on that.

And your taxes?????
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

I filed taxes in the US before I left in 2008 but haven't filed since as I'm paying taxes in the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I filed taxes in the US before I left in 2008 but haven't filed since as I'm paying taxes in the UK.
That statement does not make sense.

Filing US income tax returns reporting your worldwide income is a requirement of US Permanent Residents. It is also a way to show that you are still a 'resident' of the US. Looks like you ignored many of the steps that would have preserved your residence status.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:57 pm

No I haven't filed tax returns as I haven't being working in the US however I have been paying taxes in the UK.
US PR's are required to file a US income tax return and report worldwide income. Paying taxes in the UK has nothing to do with your requirement to file a US tax return each year.

As previously mentioned I left the USA for family health reasons not because I wanted to.
The reason may or may not be an issue. An immigration lawyer can help you figure it out.

I'm considering signing up with a nursing agency and maybe returning to the US that way as I would have acess to their immigration lawyers.
That still won't solve the problem of what will happen to you at the US POE after such a long absence.

Another question I have us would it be worth contacting the US embassy in London as they issued the visas.
See my answer to this in Post #9.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.