Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its been nearly 3 months now and no container

Our container went for a weeks holiday to Australia! We waited nearly 4 months but at least it arrived intact. I wish I had just come with a bag and started afresh.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:46 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Five to six weeks is very easily doable from UK into Auckland, ours went Southampton > Singapore > Auckland according to schedule in exactly 5 weeks.
Think you were luckier than you realise looking at the other posts it is VERY exceptional.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We were told to expect it mid March ... Now since the earthquake the ship does not know if it will be allowed to dock at Littleton Harbor, Then if and when it has permission the maf we are told are really busy and there will be a delay in the container clearing quarantine ..
To be honest after what we ve been through and seeing the devastation of homes in Christchurch, people loosing everything they own. It really puts things into perspective on what is important in life, maybe I really should not moan they are only things after all
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Think you were luckier than you realise looking at the other posts it is VERY exceptional.
We had a similar experience to Bo-Jangles (I seem to remember it being 6 weeks though) both times . We ping-ponged! And with different companies too.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Feb 28th 2011 at 3:00 pm. Reason: Added a bit.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
We were told to expect it mid March ... Now since the earthquake the ship does not know if it will be allowed to dock at Littleton Harbor, Then if and when it has permission the maf we are told are really busy and there will be a delay in the container clearing quarantine ..
To be honest after what we ve been through and seeing the devastation of homes in Christchurch, people loosing everything they own. It really puts things into perspective on what is important in life, maybe I really should not moan they are only things after all
I know but they are your things & having familiar stuff around you does help with the settling process IMHO. Sorry you are having such a long wait.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just to warn people whom are coming over make sure you have enough in that suitcase and extra funds just in case.
We said goodbye to our container the end of November 2010 and are still waiting for it s arrival
Apparently it s been around the world and they actually lost it at one point. Now we ve been told after several dates have gone that it will eventually arrive around the middle of March.
I don t no whether I should mention the company but if you pm me I shall be pleased to let you know as to avoid them.
Believe me it s caused a lot of stress living out of a suitcase for so long and having to buy things just to get by
Do your research with these company's and good luck
Ours took 8 weeks from leaving our house in the UK to arriving at our house in Tauranga. GB Liners were great. Too late for you to know but useful for those considering who they'll use. Or perhaps we were just lucky!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi
Yes you should moan and moan loudly -- to your shipper. Flaming rubbishy gits.

I know there are those that have lost everything so you feel you shouldn't feel aggrieved and I quite understand that but this is about something different. This is about service for something you have paid for before you even arrived in NZ & went through this 'event' as they call it. These shippers have taken your money and messed up. The quake took peoples lives, houses, possessions. That's something that is out of everyone's control. It's different.

After me RTA when I was young ,I had friends apologising to me for still driving cars. It's just not the same.

Look at it this way. If you had your stuff , then you would be in a better position to share with others ,that have little, if you could.

Is this groupage? because if it isn't then it all should have arrived within 6 to 8 weeks. It would have already been with you. I'm disgusted.

Have you traced the route using your bill of lading number.

Where is the blurry thing right now? It should be possible to find out where this ship will dock & exactly when.

Yes. Lyttelton Harbour is not fully functional and goodness knows when it will be again. MAF harbour office may be under some stress to manage to clear what they can ,when they can, so I can understand that.

I know you are bogged down as per most ChCh people are right now, so you really don't need this . Bung me the details if you like and I'll see what can be sorted ...or not. I'm more than happy to try that for you & faithfully report back. You need your energy elsewhere.

Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I work at the port we are unloading as normal they are using that as an excuse

Neil
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marbles
Hi,
Ours left our home on the 29th November and i think left the uk on the 9th December and it arrived just over a week ago. It landed in Tauranga on the 11th and we recieved it on the 17th. So it shouldn't be too much longer for you. It's brilliant when it does arrived although it was strange going from a very empty house to boxes everywhere. We tracked the boat and the container on the internet so we knew where it was and when it had landed and then made sure we rang them so we got it delivered as soon as possible.
Hope you get that phone call soon.
Oh please do tell which fab company you used
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:37 pm
`

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
Oh please do tell which fab company you used
They used a company called Simpsons

From HERE

Originally Posted by marbles
Simpsons in chesterfield gave us a really good service and a very competitive price. They packed us up in the heavy snow in november and didn't give up despite the conditions. The first day took them over 5 hours to get there in the snow when it should have been about an hour and a half, and then they worked non stop till it was done. They came back the next day and had a massive wait till the container finally arrived and filled it up in the pitch black and icy/snowy conditions. They were so commited to get the job done at no point did they let the weather stop them when many companys would have called it off.
Helen
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Its arrived !!!! BUT suffered....
1 smashed micro wave
1 chipped in many places mahogany dining set
1 broken chair,
Then whilst putting the fridge in place the movers scratched the kitchen floor !!!
BUT the ironical thing was that MAF took away the brand new, never been used lawn mower, and left the garden strimmer which was dirty! They also left my partner's fishing bag which we later found ( he forgot to clean in the UK ) had dried maggot's and rusty tins in !!!
Also my main advice is don t bring your car over unless it s brand new and you ve got a lot of dosh.. They will fleece you all the way to get it through it s inspection and VIN, as we are sadly finding now
But ... Its here and we had insurance so I suppose we should be grateful ( Note my sarcasm )
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks BEV for your kind offer of help XXX
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Its arrived !!!! BUT suffered....
1 smashed micro wave
1 chipped in many places mahogany dining set
1 broken chair,
Then whilst putting the fridge in place the movers scratched the kitchen floor !!!
BUT the ironical thing was that MAF took away the brand new, never been used lawn mower, and left the garden strimmer which was dirty! They also left my partner's fishing bag which we later found ( he forgot to clean in the UK ) had dried maggot's and rusty tins in !!!
Also my main advice is don t bring your car over unless it s brand new and you ve got a lot of dosh.. They will fleece you all the way to get it through it s inspection and VIN, as we are sadly finding now
But ... Its here and we had insurance so I suppose we should be grateful ( Note my sarcasm )
Sorry you has such a bad experience, you must be really angry...a more appropriate word first came to mind!!! Are you allowed to say who you used here? How MAF handles the shipment seems to be inconsistent. They hardly bothered with ours in Tauranga, just enough to justify the $250 we paid. Did you get your mower back? My son never got his big frame tent back, it seemed to get 'lost'.
All the best for your new life here, I hope it gets easier now you've got all your own stuff.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:01 pm
`

MAF fees

MAF fees will depend on the declarations one makes and whether or not MAF decides to inspect a container or not. If they decided to inspect the fee will then also change depending on what they feel needs to be fumigated or confiscated. There is no set fee for this. Sometimes, as in our case, where a container isn't inspected, there will be no fee.

Some UK shippers use a third party mover at the NZ end. White Van Lines or Moving Company. What these companies do is to try and charge a 'service fee' for attending your container when MAF checks the declarations that you, the customer , have filled in & decides what to inspect or not.
This $250/$275 is an extra charge and if you are charged this , then complain to your UK shipper as you have already paid for a door to door service.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Some UK shippers use a third party mover at the NZ end. White Van Lines or Moving Company. What these companies do is to try and charge a 'service fee' for attending your container when MAF checks the declarations that you, the customer , have filled in & decides what to inspect or not.
This $250/$275 is an extra charge and if you are charged this , then complain to your UK shipper as you have already paid for a door to door service.
NZ Vanlines also tried charging me this 'extra' when I had for a full pack and unpack from door to door service! I kicked up a massive stink and the [insert your best expletive here]'s held back my container! They kept using excuses like 'oh the guys are pre-booked and won't get to you for another 4-5 days' etc. I told them that if I didn't have my container delivered the next day (Saturday, after them collecting it on Monday) I would be seeking legal action. They booked me in for 9am Saturday morning then turned up at 4pm! I still remember the [more expletives here]'s name too, 4 years on

If you have paid these extra fees in the UK - DO NOT PAY THEM AGAIN! They will try it but stand your ground. They see us as cashed up Poms that will not realise they have already been paid by the UK shippers