Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

altaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Hi everybody,

As a new member on this website, I read a lot of threads about moving or not to St. Lucia but i still have a few questions...

1. Is there anyone who can tell me what could be a decent salary in St. Lucia? If I'm 35 years old and I would like to continue enjoying life like a canadian abroad(you know what I mean!!). I plan to bring my girlfriend with me and I know, after all my readings, that I will need to earn for 2.

2. Can anybody could give me any comments about St. Lucia Helicopters, as I got a real offer from them?

3. My girlfriend won't have any chances to find a decent job there? (She speak english, italian, vietnamese?

thanx
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:17 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decision? Going or not to St. Lucia??

Originally Posted by altaus
Hi everybody,

As a new member on this website, I read a lot of threads about moving or not to St. Lucia but i still have a few questions...

1. Is there anyone who can tell me what could be a decent salary in St. Lucia? If I'm 35 years old and I would like to continue enjoying life like a canadian abroad(you know what I mean!!). I plan to bring my girlfriend with me and I know, after all my readings, that I will need to earn for 2.

2. Can anybody could give me any comments about St. Lucia Helicopters, as I got a real offer from them?

3. My girlfriend won't have any chances to find a decent job there? (She speak english, italian, vietnamese?

thanx
What is life like a Canadian abroad ? You will have to expand on this.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Hi,

sorry about this confusion line... I mean that I would like to simply live well as I live at home. Canada is not so expensive comparing to UK. Is St.Lucia only for rich retired people or a 35 years old guy with his girlfriend can live well with only one salary?

By the way, I read so many things about crimes and poverty... Is it so bad down there??

Thanx for your answers!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:56 am
Just Joined

crazygerman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi altaus!

I have not been to St.Lucia yet, but my friend is a lucian woman living in UK at the moment. I had to learn a lot about "her" country, and it is not just as beautiful as always shown in advertisement.

In fact, it is a third-world country with all pros and cons.

Just go there for holydays, have a look "behind the scenes" and then decide what to do.

Just my opinion, and no, I am not really crazy.
crazygerman
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:04 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

sorry about this confusion line... I mean that I would like to simply live well as I live at home. Canada is not so expensive comparing to UK. Is St.Lucia only for rich retired people or a 35 years old guy with his girlfriend can live well with only one salary?

By the way, I read so many things about crimes and poverty... Is it so bad down there??

Thanx for your answers!
Altaus, It depends what you want from the island and your salary.
Where will you be based ob the island ? Most of the expats live in the North around Rodney Bay and it certainly is not third world down there. More a mini Miami. Property is quite expensive but you have every covenience at your fingertips. However as I said this comes at a price.

If you have a good salary and live sensibly you can enjoy a good standard of living in St Lucia. However as somebody mentioned not all of the island is like this and there are definately some poor areas with high unemployment.
This has led to an increase in crime, so sensible precautions have to be taken.

Find out where your job will be based, the salary, then look at some property sites on the island to get a feel for rental prices and how it tallies in with your salary. Food bought at the supermarket will most probably be similar price or a little more expensive than Canada. Bills are not to bad, but you will have to factor the price of running a car I guess.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Altaus, It depends what you want from the island and your salary.
Where will you be based ob the island ? Most of the expats live in the North around Rodney Bay and it certainly is not third world down there. More a mini Miami. Property is quite expensive but you have every covenience at your fingertips. However as I said this comes at a price.

If you have a good salary and live sensibly you can enjoy a good standard of living in St Lucia. However as somebody mentioned not all of the island is like this and there are definately some poor areas with high unemployment.
This has led to an increase in crime, so sensible precautions have to be taken.

Find out where your job will be based, the salary, then look at some property sites on the island to get a feel for rental prices and how it tallies in with your salary. Food bought at the supermarket will most probably be similar price or a little more expensive than Canada. Bills are not to bad, but you will have to factor the price of running a car I guess.
I'm sorry Pg but Crazygerman is far closer to the mark. Altaus should come down here and take a look.

St Lucia is a third world country but has pockets of affluence such as Rodney Bay because that is where the tourists are and the tourists are fortunately for the most part not touched by the crime wave that is present. How can you possibly say that a country with over 20% unemployment which relies on outsiders in terms of funding and remittances is developing. It is actually contracting in most areas of employment and a significant portion of the populus live off the proceeds of crime and corruption because there is absolutely nothing else. In addition there is a mass illiteracy problem among the older generation. Wages in the tourism sector which is the only meaningful employment sector left (apart from Government and some banking/insurance) are appalling.

Rodney Bay does not a country make and Rodney Bay has been largely settled by folks and St Lucians who came from somewhere else as there is no way that most resident honest St Lucians could afford the real estate prices unless they are a professional. Castries is a garrison community (ghetto) of out of control serious crime in its residential areas where people live under a form of siege like in Kingston Jamaica. Thirteen homicides so far in 2011 and the government have NO CLUE as to how to address it. South and East of Castries, apart from in the Vieux Fort area most folks have next to nothing unless they migrated to the UK, Canada or whatever and have returned with their stash and their pension.

Like Miami? NO WAY! Third World! Even the mindset is Third World!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 16th 2011 at 12:30 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

thanx
Hi Altaus,

I came on strong to Pgtips about your enquiry and pg's response and I'll tell you why.

I believe that St Lucia is now:

A beautiful tourist destination for those who wish to visit an exotic island with friendly locals and a vibrant cultural scene at reasonable cost if you are on a budget or in world-class resort hotels if you can afford it

or

A retirement destination for those who can afford land and a property and a good standard of living in the desirable secure areas which are now in the main Cap Estate, Rodney Bay, Marigot Bay and the Beausejour area near Vieux Fort

or

A place to spend time in where you have friends here or family who are St Lucian here for connections, company, advice and support

or

Where you are looking to trade up or sideways as a citizen of a Caricom or OECS nation and have skills in desired areas. Since you are then a citizen of Caricom you would know what you are letting yourself in for by moving around to similar countries in the Caribbean.

For anybody else, there really are no legal opportunities to come and settle, work or play here for an extended period unless you are wealthy. The economy is depressed even though tourism numbers are up and this has given rise to unemployment issues. The crime has been here for a while and continues unabated with little preparedness on working to try and come up with a workable solution BUT serious crime does not tend to impact tourism or everyday life but it has created a sense of unease among the people who live in areas which are exposed to crime. Of course if you talk to no locals and don't watch TV or don't read the local newspapers and just stare out at the ocean, you could simply regard St Lucia as paradise - Some people seem to live like that but Oh that it was that easy! Breaking and entering is a big problem even in Rodney Bay and theft can involve or threaten a violent outcome. This has meant that many folks who have come here with the long term in mind have turned around and left.

Get my point?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I'm sorry Pg but Crazygerman is far closer to the mark. Altaus should come down here and take a look.

St Lucia is a third world country but has pockets of affluence such as Rodney Bay because that is where the tourists are and the tourists are fortunately for the most part not touched by the crime wave that is present. How can you possibly say that a country with over 20% unemployment which relies on outsiders in terms of funding and remittances is developing. It is actually contracting in most areas of employment and a significant portion of the populus live off the proceeds of crime and corruption because there is absolutely nothing else. In addition there is a mass illiteracy problem among the older generation. Wages in the tourism sector which is the only meaningful employment sector left (apart from Government and some banking/insurance) are appalling.

Rodney Bay does not a country make and Rodney Bay has been largely settled by folks and St Lucians who came from somewhere else as there is no way that most resident honest St Lucians could afford the real estate prices unless they are a professional. Castries is a garrison community (ghetto) of out of control serious crime in its residential areas where people live under a form of siege like in Kingston Jamaica. Thirteen homicides so far in 2011 and the government have NO CLUE as to how to address it. South and East of Castries, apart from in the Vieux Fort area most folks have next to nothing unless they migrated to the UK, Canada or whatever and have returned with their stash and their pension.

Like Miami? NO WAY! Third World! Even the mindset is Third World!
The Mini Miami I was referring to was Rodney Bay and no where else.
Depending on his Salary and if he is based around Rodney bay, I do not think he should have to many problems. I also mentioned that outside of Rodney bay there is some real poverty and high unemployment and crime issues.
Maybe when I am on the island I am somewhat sheltered because I live in Rodney Bay which has so far touch wood for me been incident free.
Whenever I have new guest to St Lucia I give them a tour and as we approach the North and head into Rodney Bay they all seem to mention it feels as there are two totally separate islands, there is such a contrast as you head out of Castries on the Castries to Gros Islet highway and enter into Rodney Bay. Cap Estate, Exclusive Villas, Golf course, third world ? No Way !! It all depends where he is going to be based on the island. If he says the center of Castries I would tell him straight up don't bother !!!
Even in Jamaica's Kingston, you have exclusive areas in Uptown and some of the worst poverty and crime in Downtown.

Last edited by pgtips; Feb 16th 2011 at 6:42 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Mini Miami I was referring to was Rodney Bay and no where else.
Depending on his Salary and if he is based around Rodney bay, I do not think he should have to many problems. I also mentioned that outside of Rodney bay there is some real poverty and high unemployment and crime issues.
Maybe when I am on the island I am somewhat sheltered because I live in Rodney Bay which has so far touch wood for me been incident free.
Whenever I have new guest to St Lucia I give them a tour and as we approach the North and head into Rodney Bay they all seem to mention it feels as there are two totally separate islands, there is such a contrast as you head out of Castries on the Castries to Gros Islet highway and enter into Rodney Bay. Cap Estate, Exclusive Villas, Golf course, third world ? No Way !! It all depends where he is going to be based on the island. If he says the center of Castries I would tell him straight up don't bother !!!
Even in Jamaica's Kingston, you have exclusive areas in Uptown and some of the worst poverty and crime in Downtown.
I'm crawling back into my fox hole!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:56 pm

I'm crawling back into my fox hole!
Pistolpete2, from Altus original post I took it he had already been offered a job.
"Can anybody could give me any comments about St. Lucia Helicopters, as I got a real offer from them?"

So I was answering from the perspective of someone who did not need to find employment on the island, and was wondering whether his salary would afford him a comfortable level of living.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2, from Altus original post I took it he had already been offered a job.
"Can anybody could give me any comments about St. Lucia Helicopters, as I got a real offer from them?"

So I was answering from the perspective of someone who did not need to find employment on the island, and was wondering whether his salary would afford him a comfortable level of living.
No further comment Pgtips.

For myself:

If I knew in 2004 (in spite of being married to a St Lucian and having stupidly bought property in St Lucia ahead of time) what I know now about St Lucia and its prospects from all perspectives I would never have come here in 2006. Of course I was reluctant anyway as I knew full well what island life can entail! My former boss was very concerned for our prospects here as even the Bermuda newspapers were full of St Lucia's woes in 2005-6.

It's a pity there were not more posters experienced in living the typical life here who could have warned me off about a number of issues ahead of time regarding:

1. Prospects for St Lucia
2. Education
3. Crime
4. Everything else that goes on apart from the weather

Family connections either did not have a finger on the pulse or were able to afford the good life in Rodney Bay and I mean good.

I guess that's the reason folks flock to BritishExpats as everything else is pretty much contrived to sell real estate and one-sidedly positive. I've even heard St Lucians say that they don't really care what goes on in St Lucia so long as there are always buyers (legal or criminal) to buy their property when the time comes.

Can't speak for St Lucia Helicopters but I do see your points and Alteus' perspective.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

denisecain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, i am very new to this site and what i am reading is very upsetting. I have dreamt for a long time to go to St Lucia and live bringing my children with me.
From what i am reading it is not safe and not a good place to live. Please someone help keep my dream alive.
I would like to know if it really would be such a bad decision is there no opportunity for me to come and teach, buy a nice place and send my children to school in peace?
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by denisecain
Hi everyone, i am very new to this site and what i am reading is very upsetting. I have dreamt for a long time to go to St Lucia and live bringing my children with me.
From what i am reading it is not safe and not a good place to live. Please someone help keep my dream alive.
I would like to know if it really would be such a bad decision is there no opportunity for me to come and teach, buy a nice place and send my children to school in peace?
Denise, to put some perspective on things, some people struggle and some people live good. I know some people who have moved to St lucia and would not dream of coming back to England. These are mainly people who have St Lucian parents and wanted to move back and live in the Caribbean. Most have secured jobs, own their property and vehicle and have very little debt now if any. If you do not have to pay a house loan or car loan, and live in the right area you can live a very good life. I am constantly asking them would they come back and the vast majority say no.

There are two side to every story and it really depends on what your particular circumstance will be. The kids I know on the island are doing very well in school and are generally very well spoken and polite.

I can really speak for the areas around Rodney Bay where people seem to be very happy, however some parts of Castries are really bad now.

Crime happens all over, so get used to having burglar bars and you should be alright.
No No's going to secluded beaches alone or in very small groups, flashing your wealth, jewellry etc. Gon't be wondering around aimlessy after dark, maybe invest in a family dog and you should be OK.

Its when its when the kids leave school that there is a lack of opportunities and this is leading to problems. As the saying goes "idle hands make the devils work"

Have you any family connections in St lucia ? When were you last on the island and what feedback were you hearing ?

Last edited by pgtips; Feb 18th 2011 at 4:57 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:21 am
Just Joined

No further comment Pgtips.

For myself:

If I knew in 2004 (in spite of being married to a St Lucian and having stupidly bought property in St Lucia ahead of time) what I know now about St Lucia and its prospects from all perspectives I would never have come here in 2006. Of course I was reluctant anyway as I knew full well what island life can entail! My former boss was very concerned for our prospects here as even the Bermuda newspapers were full of St Lucia's woes in 2005-6.

It's a pity there were not more posters experienced in living the typical life here who could have warned me off about a number of issues ahead of time regarding:

1. Prospects for St Lucia
2. Education
3. Crime
4. Everything else that goes on apart from the weather

Family connections either did not have a finger on the pulse or were able to afford the good life in Rodney Bay and I mean good.

I guess that's the reason folks flock to BritishExpats as everything else is pretty much contrived to sell real estate and one-sidedly positive. I've even heard St Lucians say that they don't really care what goes on in St Lucia so long as there are always buyers (legal or criminal) to buy their property when the time comes.

Can't speak for St Lucia Helicopters but I do see your points and Alteus' perspective.
Thanx to all of you guys!!! I really need to think about it... But surprisingly, I don't have any more contact now from this company there! Maybe it's a sign!

I will probably try to stay in Vietnam... As life is cheap and safe here... If some would like any advise, Plz ask!!

Cheers Mates

Chris

Last edited by altaus; Feb 21st 2011 at 6:39 am.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:58 am

Thanx to all of you guys!!! I really need to think about it... But surprisingly, I don't have any more contact now from this company there! Maybe it's a sign!

I will probably try to stay in Vietnam... As life is cheap and safe here... If some would like any advise, Plz ask!!

Cheers Mates

Chris
Good luck mate !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.