Gong Hei Fat Choy

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gong Hei Fat Choy

Happy Chinese New Year!

Apparently it's the year of the rabbit. The rabbit symbolizes sensitivity, compassion and creativity. People born in this year are often friendly, outgoing and enjoy the company of other people.

It's great living in such multicultural country as Canada, where you get to celebrate other cultures' festivities. You wouldn't get to do this back in the UK. I'm even going to take my girlfriend out to dinner tonight. I don't want to go mad so we'll probably stick to our regular choice, combination plate #3, dinner for two. Might even have one of those Chinese Tsingtao beers.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gong Hei Fat Choy

Or even kong si fat chai. Which IIRC doesn't actually mean happy new year. It is something more like live long and prosper.

[edit] Congratulations and prosperity I am reliably informed.

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 3rd 2011 at 6:43 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Or even kong si fat chai. IIRC doesn't actually mean happy new year. It is something more like live long and prosper.

[edit] Congratulations and prosperity I am reliably informed.
That's the spirit.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I'll have sweet and sour pork and chicken fried rice please.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:01 pm

OK. I'll have sweet and sour pork and chicken fried rice please.
Two issues I have is the lack of authenticity with the Chinese food here. Firstly, the pancake rolls are much too small, back at home they were so big they were often referred to as horse ****s, secondly, they don't give those fried crispy noodles with plum sauce dip when you sit down.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:08 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the Chinese think they're so special? What's wrong with having the same New Year as the rest of us?

Don't celebrate it, it only encourages them.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Why do the Chinese think they're so special? What's wrong with having the same New Year as the rest of us?

I don't think with that attitude you'll get the full experience that emigration bestows. When you in live someone else's country its imperative that you try and join in with local celebrations, however silly they may seem.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Oink
Two issues I have is the lack of authenticity with the Chinese food here. Firstly, the pancake rolls are much too small, back at home they were so big they were often referred to as horse ****s, secondly, they don't give those fried crispy noodles with plum sauce dip when you sit down.
No chips in curry sauce either.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

As it's close to Burn's Night and Australia Day then why not have some fusion foods such as haggis spring roll or 'roo chow mein?

I'm reliably informed that these are available in the GTA.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:18 pm

I found a couple places that you can get these plus they do fried chicken and cheeseburgers, not quite as good the ones back at home but still pretty tasty.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by fledermaus
As it's close to Burn's Night and Australia Day then why not have some fusion foods such as haggis spring roll or 'roo chow mein?

I'm reliably informed that these are available in the GTA.
There is an event in Vancouver called Kung Hey Fat Haggis. I understand that a fair amount of scotch is involved.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't your missus japanese? - just get her to make some katsu curry sauce and stick that on chips. It tastes identical to me - and delicious.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:48 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think with that attitude you'll get the full experience that emigration bestows. When you in live someone else's country its imperative that you try and join in with local celebrations, however silly they may seem.
Consider me chastened. I'll make a special effort come next Canada Day.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:54 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Spoken like a true Calgarian.

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:27 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Chinese New Year!

Apparently it's the year of the rabbit. The rabbit symbolizes sensitivity, compassion and creativity. People born in this year are often friendly, outgoing and enjoy the company of other people.

It's great living in such multicultural country as Canada, where you get to celebrate other cultures' festivities. You wouldn't get to do this back in the UK. I'm even going to take my girlfriend out to dinner tonight. I don't want to go mad so we'll probably stick to our regular choice, combination plate #3, dinner for two. Might even have one of those Chinese Tsingtao beers.
This sounds like an excellent excuse for a chinese takeaway this weekend.

you would hope a few enterprising resturants would add a few rabbit dishes to the menu, to get into the spirit of the occasion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.