Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

And Brits never believe me how crap the vacation time is here.

And Brits never believe me how crap the vacation time is here.

Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:04 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default And Brits never believe me how crap the vacation time is here.

Paid vacation for 21 of the richest countries:
Attached Thumbnails And Brits never believe me how crap the vacation time is here.-job-fails-i-love-country.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:08 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And Brits never believe me how crap the vacation time is here.

Yes, but to be fair you do spend another 53.7 days per annum on the internet at work.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:02 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yes, but to be fair you do spend another 53.7 days per annum on the internet at work.
This is true
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You can do that anywhere, it'd still be good to have decent paid time off.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 4:24 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Going from 7 weeks vacation in the UK plus sick, holiday etc.to zero here, is very depressing, but I realize the only thing that stopped me from setting up my own business in the UK was how great my benefits were.

As I get zero here, I am on my way to beng a business owner!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Going from 7 weeks vacation in the UK plus sick, holiday etc.to zero here, is very depressing, but I realize the only thing that stopped me from setting up my own business in the UK was how great my benefits were.

As I get zero here, I am on my way to beng a business owner!
Good luck! I get less vacation time since I've been my own boss than I did when someone was paying for my wonderful two weeks off -- If I'm not working, I'm not earning, which is a big incentive to remained chained to the computer.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had 6 weeks vacation at his job in the UK, before we left. He currently has 25 days now. We've actually been ok with his time off, we haven't had to miss anything we have wanted to do. He always has a week off around Christmas and work is so slow that he does light work from home. I work for a school district, I get all the school holidays and that's perfect for me.

However, before I left the UK, I was entitled to (which is more common these days, from what I've heard) 4 weeks holiday. The downside was I had to book those weeks off at the beginning of the year. What a shame that you can have all that time off and you can't have the flexibility to take it off, when and if you need it. It prevented my husband's aunt (almost 12 years ago) from coming to our wedding. She hadn't previously booked the time off.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:31 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The downside was I had to book those weeks off at the beginning of the year. What a shame that you can have all that time off and you can't have the flexibility to take it off, when and if you need it.
You always bring this up as if it's the norm in Britain - but it always seems to me like you're just about the only one on here who was ever affected in this way. I certainly never knew anyone who had to book all their time off in advance at the start of the year.

Last edited by elfman; Jan 29th 2011 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
You always bring this up as if it's the norm in Britain - but it always seems to me like you're just about the only one here who was ever affected in this way. I certainly never knew anyone who had to book all their time off in advance at the start of the year.
Well I've known two people, myself and my husband's aunt. Can't help the fact that you don't know anyone.....

Maybe you don't travel in wide enough circles.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:36 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've known two people, myself and my husband's aunt. Can't help the fact that you don't know anyone.....

Maybe you don't travel in wide enough circles.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You always bring this up as if it's the norm in Britain - but it always seems to me like you're just about the only one on here who was ever affected in this way. I certainly never knew anyone who had to book all their time off in advance at the start of the year.
I think last time Amerlisa brought this up we concluded that it was for Christmas in a shop - no-one else had ever had to book leave at the beginning of the year.

The comment about not knowing people is frankly odd.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite common in factories though...so they can schedule cover etc....usually being seniors put their requests in first, going down the line, so the new person always ends up with shit times of the year
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think last time Amerlisa brought this up we concluded that it was for Christmas in a shop - no-one else had ever had to book leave at the beginning of the year.

The comment about not knowing people is frankly odd.
I'm curious as to why you both think that an employer can't dictate when you take your annual leave?

And of course the amount of people who respond to these posts on BE certainly make up the majority of UK citizens....
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious as to why you both think that an employer can't dictate when you take your annual leave?

And of course the amount of people who respond to these posts on BE certainly make up the majority of UK citizens....
I'm curious as to why you think you know everything about Britain and we don't have a clue.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm curious as to why you think you know everything about Britain and we don't have a clue.
lol well I only know what I've experienced, seems like you're the one that doesn't know, Sally...

But here you go:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ff/DG_10034711

Your employer can decide when some or all of your holidays must be taken. For instance, they may require you to take some of your holiday to cover the bank holidays, or may require the whole company to take holiday during a Christmas shutdown.

This may be in your contract of employment, or it may be normal practice built up over time. An employer has to give the same amount of notice as you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.