Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ holiday 2011 - watch this space

NZ holiday 2011 - watch this space

Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:33 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ holiday 2011 - watch this space

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
We went to a 10th Anniverysary Party last night. The couple are from the UK and live just outside Cambridge in a farming area. They have lambs, a cow, poultry & 3 dogs. I told you this before when we have visited we had lamb chops for dinner which had been home-killed. We did not find out until we had eaten it that it had been running about the week before. Because we were early thought we would have a look around the shops in Cambridge, big mistake like a lot of other places we have visited they close a 1.30 pm on Saturday.

We took an order from the shop for all the meat to go on the BBQ. Gail & Doug could not come because the shop was open Sunday, we stayed over. Ended up in the spa pool at 11.30 pm in my knickers & bra never thought to take a cossie. Did not matter there were only 3 of us "girls" left so it was no problem. Alan & Garry were watching TV. One drawback was the flies, hundreds of them plus crickets all over the place, but that's what you get I suppose if you live in the country. So glad I am a townie girl.

June
Good on you June, living the dream!

My mum and her partner arrived on Wednesday and are loving it. Mum comes every year, but her partner hasn't been to NZ for 55 years! He's fallen in love with Papamoa already.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caroline

So glad you Mum & partner arrived safe & well and he is loving it here.

We went down to the Domain this afternoon stayed about 2 hours but it got too hot for us. It was quite busy for a week day though.

I suppose by now most of Papamoa knows that Doug has broken his toe. Playing silly games with his son, will they ever learn?

June
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

20th Feb

Went to Taupo on the Intercity and stayed overnight there.

21st Feb

Left Taupo at 1.30 after a very pleasant morning. We had watched people paying to play golf trying to get a hole in one. The problem being they were on land and the hole was on a platform on Lake Taupo. No one managed to do it. Again we went with Intercity. It was a very pleasant journey stopping a number of times. One of the stops was for 35 minutes so that you could buy a snack or eat your your own picnic. We arrived at Wellington Station at 6.45 hopped into a taxi ($20) getting to our hotel around 7 pm. We were not far off Cuba Street and went to JJ Murhpys for a meal which was lovely I have to say. Thanks to the person who suggested it.

22nd Feb - a very sad day

We had booked a tour of Wellington and was picked up at 11.30. It raining so we decided we did not want to hop on & off but do the loop and then go to the Houses of Parliament arriving just after 1.30. We decided to have a meal at the Backbencher pub across the way before doing the tour of the Beehive etc. There was a lot of people milling about using their phones which seemed very strange. After we had studied the menu we noticed something on the TV and when the waiter arrived we asked him what was wrong and he told us about the earthquake. We did the tour but of course the topic of conversation was what had happened in Christchurch. I have to say it was well worth a visit and it was free as well you have to pay to go into the Houses of Parliament in the UK.

Went to Cuba Street again it was it was BBQ ribs 2 for 1 tonight $22 good value. All the TV's were on even the ones outside and people were stopping all the time to try and keep up with the news.

23th Feb.

Went to TePapa again this was free. We spoke to a number of people who had just left Christchurch a day of two before and were counting their blessings. This is a very interesting place we enjoyed in particular The Golden Days exhibit.

24th Feb

Today we went on the Cable Car. We caught the bus from Willis Street $2 and the Cable Car was $6 return again very good value. As I have said before we are in our 70's so could not walk it down to the Botanical Gardens but we did want to see them. The guide told us when we got down to the bottom again to catch a number 3 bus and this would take us to them. This was a very enjoyable day experiencing the Cable Car, the Museum and of course the gardens. As an added bonus we were able to hire (for free) 2 motorised wheelchairs.

25th Feb

We had intended to go to the Weta Caves but decided against being underground at the moment so went to the Zoo instead. This was a disappointment. It was $20 Adults $13 Seniors. The problem was it was steep in places and when we had made the journey up, up & up there was nothing to see I think the animals must have been asleep or were not there in the first place. In all we saw 2 lizards, 1 cheetah, & some monkeys. In my opinion it was not a very good zoo and we have been to quite a few in our time.

26th Feb

Had breakfast down Cuba Street again. We had found a nice little bakery/cafe where we could have Bacon & Eggs etc for $8 and $2 for tea or coffee.

Taxi arrived at 11.45 to take us to the airport took off at 1.20 and was back in Tauranga for 2.30. Gail was there to pick us up.

The people of Christchurch are in our thoughts.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Feb 26th 2011 at 3:17 am.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

In case anyone misunderstood me the Intercity is a bus service like the National in the UK it is not a train service.

June
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

26th Feb - cont.

We went to Jo & Ricks for a meal tonight (friends of Gail & Doug) We met up with them in Christchurch 2 years ago they were touring with Jo's parents so we spent a couple of days with them. We were there for the week Gail had come with us because she had not been to the South Island. We met Jo's parents again because like us they try and visit every year.

Joe & Rick have been here about 4 years and 8 months ago decided they would take the plunge and go into business for themselves. They now have Colourplus on Hull Road Mt. Maunganui.

27th Feb

After been very active over the last week we had a lazy day. Went out in the evening to another BBQ. This was was for the "oldies". Quite a number of people were visiting their families from the UK. There were 3 sisters there, 1 was the Mother of our host, her sister from Sydney and another sister from the UK. It was a very pleasant evening.

28th Feb

We went to the Fernland Spa in Bethehem and I have to say it was not what I expected. I was not surprised that we were the only 2 people there. We went to the main pool $7 Adult $4.50 Child & $5.50 Senior. It was not as hot as Doug's spa, it was not deep enough to have a swim all you could do was sit around the side or walk in the middle. Needless to say we did not stay long. There are private pools (extra) and a bubbly spa was an extra $14 Adult & $9 Senior (up to 3pm). So tomorrow we will be going back to the Hot Pools In Mt Maunganui $6.50 adults. Here we will be able to swim and go into the spa pools as well.

Called at Colourplus to see Jo & Rick's shop and its looks very good I do hope they do well in their new venture.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Feb 28th 2011 at 3:07 am.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why is it no one is talking to me. We leave on Sunday then I will have nothing to say. Although may report on the journey home see how it is on the return journey at Heathrow.

June
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Why is it no one is talking to me. We leave on Sunday then I will have nothing to say. Although may report on the journey home see how it is on the return journey at Heathrow.

June
Sorry I always read your posts they're brilliant I think I have pretend holidays when you're reporting!!!
Will miss your posts June x
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

MissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the roughMissMarple is a jewel in the rough

Hi June,

I've been stalking to you, I mean reading your posts!

We have been chuckling at the spa day.

Have a safe journey home.

Jules and Ron x
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry June, I've been reading your posts & enjoying hearing what you have been upto.

I was looking at Doug & Gail's website yesterday (I love it) & was thinking that me & t'other half must have a trip to the BOP specifically to get some of Doug's sausages & back bacon.

Keep on posting please
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Safe journey home June . The earthquake has knocked people for six a bit I think even outside Christchurch.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

1st March

What a difference a day makes. Went to the hot pools down at The Mount $7.50 Seniors $3.50 resident seniors. I said we had been there that often we felt like residence but we still had to pay $7.50. Much better value than Fernland.

These are well worth a visit the is a good sized pool for swimming at just the right temperature, plus all the spa pools etc.

The 2 minutes silence was observed which brought tears to my eyes. They announced it 5 minutes before so everyone was ready and had stopped swimming about. They even turned off the jets in the pools. There were 3 cruise ships in and even they sounded there sirens at that precise moment.

God Bless all those who have been affected by this disaster.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Mar 1st 2011 at 1:52 am.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

So far then my plan is sausage & bacon from the best butcher's in NZ then off to the hot pools followed by more bacon & sausages. Then maybe back to the hot pools.

I feel a plan coming together here. I'm thinking hubby might like it

I was home alone so I was very quiet anyway but I too shed a tear. Kia kaha Christchurch.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:52 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So far then my plan is sausage & bacon from the best butcher's in NZ then off to the hot pools followed by more bacon & sausages. Then maybe back to the hot pools.

I feel a plan coming together here. I'm thinking hubby might like it

I was home alone so I was very quiet anyway but I too shed a tear. Kia kaha Christchurch.
Me too, quiet tear on my own watching the TV.

Sausage, bacon, hot pools, sausage, bacon, hot pools, hope you'll find room in there to come see me? We can do sausage, bacon, bolly ...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Me too, quiet tear on my own watching the TV.

Sausage, bacon, hot pools, sausage, bacon, hot pools, hope you'll find room in there to come see me? We can do sausage, bacon, bolly ...
That sounds simply marvellous! You mentioned the B word .

I was watching one of the funerals from Chch on the news last night & one of the friends was talking about the things this young man loved. One of the things was drinking coffee. I said to my OH, when I go don't forget to mention how much I loved Champers
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

2nd March

Had a lazy morning then went to Bayfair Shopping Centre.

In the evening Gail, Doug, Ryan, Alan & I were going to meet up with Sue, Roly & their 6 year old daughter Charlie and have Fish & Chips down by the beach. Anyway it started to rain so we went to Mt. Maunganui Sports Fishing Club at Pilots Bay. You have to be a member but our friends are so they could take us in. They had a very good menu & some of us had Fish & Chips, good value at $15.50. They also have a raffle Wed & Fri. You would not believe what the prizes were, meat packs and between us we won 6. Can you credit it me with a son in law who has a butchers shop. Talk about taking coals to Newcastle as the saying goes.

June

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.