Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Question about Caravans and Trucks (Stay tuned for the total Anorak thread....)

Question about Caravans and Trucks (Stay tuned for the total Anorak thread....)

Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Caravans and Trucks (Stay tuned for the total Anorak thread....)

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Must admit, I assumed the brakes wouldn't be any less than the Durango (which are pretty reasonable and work well with the trailer) and I hadn't thought much about the suspension aspect of it at all!....I was interested in the higher towing capacity (c. 2000lbs higher than the Durango), and the longer wheelbase/wider track...maybe have a chat with the local dealer on the suspension.
The longer wheelbase and wider track are definately a plus when towing, both for comfort and control. The suspension can also be beefed up with the addition of helper springs or an airbag setup if you find that it squats too much or wallows when pulling. Does the Ram have the factory tow package? If so, I'd say go for it. The factory tow package usually includes a trans cooler possibly bigger brakes and fully wired for a 7 pin trailer harness and a socket under the dash for a brake controller. If your Durango is pulling it pretty well now the Ram would be decent upgrade.

Here's a recent thread from the Dodge forum dealing with an '09 Ram 1500 and a 29ft trailer that might be helpful. http://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-...l-trailer.html

BTW, in Dodge Ram speak, an '09 is considered a "4th generation" Ram.

This is another place you should check out: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/41.cfm

Last edited by another bloody yank; Jan 21st 2011 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Caravans and Trucks (Stay tuned for the total Anorak thread....)

The F150 keeps getting advertised as the best selling truck for the last 20-odd years. Don't know if thats nationally(which case I guess it would be worldwide) or just within Texas, but it must say something about it. I kinda like them, but they're a bit wimpy on the towing capacity. Mate round the corner has a Texas edition and loves it. Nearest its been to off-road is when his missus misses the drive backing out of the garage
Yeah, I've no idea about the towing, but the Ram can't be to bad, as FIL does use the works to move logging equipment with it, but then he did with his Silverado.

The uncle with the F-150 tows a hefty caravan, no idea of the size/weight though, but they do all over with it and he likes it, even towed a maple syrup boiler/pot and the whole rig from VT to ME without any trouble and that's a couple of tonnes all in I think.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:28 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, I've no idea about the towing, but the Ram can't be to bad, as FIL does use the works to move logging equipment with it, but then he did with his Silverado.

The uncle with the F-150 tows a hefty caravan, no idea of the size/weight though, but they do all over with it and he likes it, even towed a maple syrup boiler/pot and the whole rig from VT to ME without any trouble and that's a couple of tonnes all in I think.
YEah, I googled around a bit last night and found I was talking bollocks on the 150 (not an unusual finding for me!). In some configurations it actually exceeds the RAM's capacity. Wondering why we dont see many on campsites...maybe cost.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The longer wheelbase and wider track are definately a plus when towing, both for comfort and control. The suspension can also be beefed up with the addition of helper springs or an airbag setup if you find that it squats too much or wallows when pulling. Does the Ram have the factory tow package? If so, I'd say go for it. The factory tow package usually includes a trans cooler possibly bigger brakes and fully wired for a 7 pin trailer harness and a socket under the dash for a brake controller. If your Durango is pulling it pretty well now the Ram would be decent upgrade.

Here's a recent thread from the Dodge forum dealing with an '09 Ram 1500 and a 29ft trailer that might be helpful. http://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-...l-trailer.html

BTW, in Dodge Ram speak, an '09 is considered a "4th generation" Ram.

This is another place you should check out: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/41.cfm
The RAM has the factory tow package, so your conclusion was pretty much where I was too. I'll talk to the guys at the local r/v shop as they do suspension upgrades.....theres one there that has been pretty helpful on pointing me in the right direction in the past, so hopefully he wont just try to sell it for the sake of it. It seems to be a low risk trade out, so as long as it drives OK on Monday, I'll probably go for it.
Thanks for the links
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:45 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

We love our '07 Ram 1500 quad cab iwith towing package (V8). We tow a 2500 lb dry weight baby camper with it. We do not go offroad/boondocking with it.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...Wondering why we dont see many on campsites...maybe cost.
Possibly, the uncle is a contractor and probably expensed it It's certainly fully loaded though and rather lovely.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

The F150 keeps getting advertised as the best selling truck for the last 20-odd years. Don't know if thats nationally(which case I guess it would be worldwide) or just within Texas, but it must say something about it. I kinda like them, but they're a bit wimpy on the towing capacity.
The "best selling" actually applies to all F series, bit just the 150.

As for 150's being "a bit wimpy on the towing capacity"... That's why the make the F250/350/450/550 & F650 etc.. The F650 will easily tow 10 tons....
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by RickWG
The "best selling" actually applies to all F series, bit just the 150.

As for 150's being "a bit wimpy on the towing capacity"... That's why the make the F250/350/450/550 & F650 etc.. The F650 will easily tow 10 tons....
Yeah, but thats not comapring like with like - I could buy a Kenworth tractor unit and stick the trailer on a flat bed trailer, but the neighbours wouldn't like it and it wouldn't fit in my garage!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:16 pm

All been a bit of a waste of time - I went to see it tonight and despite what the guy said on the phone, it only has the smaller engine in it (4.7) and doesn't have the factory tow package, so not going to work for me. Shame, cos it was quite a nice truck in very good condition.
Thanks for all the replies.