Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

We are driving down to Singapore (from Penang) in a couple of months time, and need to split the journey somewhere. I think we should be staying with friends outside KL on the way down, but on the way back up, dunno

I'd like to take a look at Malacca though it's a bit off the route back. Worth a little detour off the North-South highway? Or any other ideas folks? But not KL.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopping in Malacca/Melaka or elsewhere for a couple of nights

Malacca is half an hour off the NSH during the week.
Up to one and half hours or more in the week end if you get caught in the jam.
Well worth a visit in our opinion.

We always stay at the Baba House Hotel.
Cheap and cheerful but has character. Maybe MYR 130 for double room during week a bit more Fri and Sat.
Next up is the Puri similar but a bit better maybe 20% extra.
Both of those are in the Heritage Zone.

Then you've got the Holiday Inn at MYR500 and or the Equatorial at a bit less.
Equatorial is alder and slightly shabbier. Both of these have swimming pools.

There're two new 'Boutique Hotels' recently opened in the Heritage area and the original Boutique Hotel called the Majestik about 5 min drive outside.
Majestik is MYR850 per night iirc.

Most of those hotels are on Asia Rooms so google.

Although now a World Heritage site Malacca has been 'done up' and is not what is was. Not so shabby now but you lose something don't you.
But some great sites and museums.
Stroll around the Heritage area based around Jonkers Street and pop into the 'antique shops and have a chat. Ask them how you can tell real from repro etc.
Some nice art shops as well.
Harpers is a nice Restaurant on the river, but there are many good ones and many tourist traps.
I could list some if you want.

The Pasar Malam is Fri and Sat night in Jonker St.
Slightly better than the one in Batu Feringhee but the same idea.

We go to Malacca maybe twice a year.
The missus says 'not again' but still enjoys it I luv it.

Maybe I've overhyped it but it will take a few visits to get to know the place.

Last edited by ex reg; Jan 8th 2011 at 8:03 am.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:06 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I'm thinking now that Malacca should be a separate trip. One and a half hours diversion from North-South highway - ya, not sure the driver Mr Bakedbean will go for that one.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Ex reg , you hit the nail on the head. I personally like the reinvented Melaka, although I used to love the waterfront stalls before reclamation and the river is now a delight. An old mate owns the Renaissance Hotel http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-melaka-hotel/
which is the oldest BIG hotel there. It has good old world service, prices are reasonable and the few extra bob to stay in a Club room with its special top floor dining, snacks, breakfast and service is worth it.
In my book Melaka has only one drawback and that's its one way street system and traffic jams...just like Penang!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:30 am

I think an old friend of mine used to stay at the Puri and just loved it. I shall have to get some info from her.

Pretty sure we will do this as a separate trip. I was going to say Holiday, but as we're permanently on holiday now... We've got quite a few free hotel points which we accumulated during our working life, and can get Holiday Inns, so will probably do that for free.

I think Mr bakedbean stayed at the Renaissance once when he was working, but thought the area was a bit tatty. Maybe that's changed now.

Anyway thanks All. I'll dredge up this thread again when we know when we will be going.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Last time in Malacca stayed in a perfectly good and very modern hostel in the new part of town(reclaimed land)

We had our own terrace over looking the street life with a 24 curry place directly across the road.

Best of all it was a very reasonable price with charecter thrown in.

Why pay so much in a hotel there,that are pretty much the same the world over,unless it has something unique about it(such as the old Rex,in KL,is that still standing?) when there is so much going on outside and usually only there to sleep and repair?
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:40 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Last time in Malacca stayed in a perfectly good and very modern hostel in the new part of town(reclaimed land)

We had our own terrace over looking the street life with a 24 curry place directly across the road.

Best of all it was a very reasonable price with charecter thrown in.

Why pay so much in a hotel there,that are pretty much the same the world over,unless it has something unique about it(such as the old Rex,in KL,is that still standing?) when there is so much going on outside and usually only there to sleep and repair?
Hi Troubadour, heading to Malacca in August. Any recommendations, hotels, eating out, things to do etc? Many thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
Hi Troubadour, heading to Malacca in August. Any recommendations, hotels, eating out, things to do etc? Many thanks.
Too long away i'm afraid to give any meaningful advice. The changes in recent years have been far more than the twenty proceeding years.

Looking forward to getting back to check out the changes myself. Hope it isn't too septic as all too much of the world seems to relate sterility with progress.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:20 am

Ballys, be a love and post back on here after your August trip, will ya. I'm hoping to visit there later in the year. Sounds like an interesting place to visit.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Did you guys know there's now a Hangout Hotel in Melaka? I haven't been but I stay at the Singapore one (Hangout @Mt Emily) whenever I pass through, with or without The Geek.

It is allegedly a hostel but I get a private, ensuite room and it's perfect for my needs. Spotless, safe, free in-room wireless internet, public areas for snacks, TV, laundry, etc, convenient location, "no frills" is how they put it but what more do you need? I resent spending several hundred S$ for facilities I'm too busy to use. The rooms can be small but, if The Geek's with me, we book a Double Plus to get a bit more space (has a sofa). If I'm on my own, they often upgrade me to one anyway

I would think the Melaka one is much the same standard.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seasider
Did you guys know there's now a Hangout Hotel in Melaka? I haven't been but I stay at the Singapore one (Hangout @Mt Emily) whenever I pass through, with or without The Geek.

It is allegedly a hostel but I get a private, ensuite room and it's perfect for my needs. Spotless, safe, free in-room wireless internet, public areas for snacks, TV, laundry, etc, convenient location, "no frills" is how they put it but what more do you need? I resent spending several hundred S$ for facilities I'm too busy to use. The rooms can be small but, if The Geek's with me, we book a Double Plus to get a bit more space (has a sofa). If I'm on my own, they often upgrade me to one anyway

I would think the Melaka one is much the same standard.
Don't know it but the location on Jonker Street is a good central location. Must check out the price. There is a popular night life venue near by as well.
Well spotted,Seasider.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:19 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Don't know it but the location on Jonker Street is a good central location. Must check out the price. There is a popular night life venue near by as well.
Well spotted,Seasider.
If the published price is anything like the Mt Emily one, it's way over what you actually pay once you get to the bookings page. I really must drop them a note and tell them they're crap marketers, as it's put several friends off until I've pointed that out. How many more people never proceed to the bookings system?

I pay around S$110 for a double with ensuite in Sg, IIRC.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ex reg
Harpers is a nice Restaurant on the river, but there are many good ones and many tourist traps.
I could list some if you want.
Oh yes please. I thought you'd mentioned before somewhere on this forum, but I've just searched and searched and cannot find. Will be staying there for a few days next month.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Busy watching F1 at the moment and moving house tomorrow.

So asap or unless you need something toot sweet it'll be tuesday or wednesday..
Old Sep 26th 2011, 2:08 am

Ah... don't worry then. Another time. Hope the home move goes okayish. Home moves are never great, are they.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.