Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security checks sent overseas

Social Security checks sent overseas

Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default Social Security checks sent overseas

If you have a green card and pay into the US system for 10 years can you at 65 get your social security checks sent to you abroad if you leave the USA and become resident somewhere else (i.e. give up your Green Card).

I heard you can do this if you become a USC before you leave.

Anybody know the rules?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security checks sent overseas

Originally Posted by digbydog
If you have a green card and pay into the US system for 10 years can you at 65 get your social security checks sent to you abroad if you leave the USA and become resident somewhere else (i.e. give up your Green Card).

I heard you can do this if you become a USC before you leave.

Anybody know the rules?
I've asked this before, as there seems to be some ambiguity in terms of what gets posted about this on BE. Here is my last post asking about this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...97#post9039697
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog

Anybody know the rules?
United States Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

This document from the SS seems to indicate that UK Citizens are entitled to receive the SS benefits that they have earned.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've asked this before, as there seems to be some ambiguity in terms of what gets posted about this on BE. Here is my last post asking about this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...97#post9039697
I saw on the news the other day that they will shortly be ending the physical sending out of checks (too much pilfering) and it will be on cards.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

"Social Security" has different sorts of payments.

SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/intern.../payments.html
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I saw on the news the other day that they will shortly be ending the physical sending out of checks (too much pilfering) and it will be on cards.
I suspect that most people (certainly most people who live abroad) get their Social Security Retirement, Disability or Survivor payments deposited directly in their bank accounts.