Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Car Import, how it went...

Car Import, how it went...

Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:04 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Import, how it went...

Update on the hilight of the last week, we got our car through compliance and registered so here is a quick how-it-went-for-us...

<===== Car (that one on the left) shipped in the (40ft) container with our household goods and a sailing dinghy.

On arrival at the port, after release of the container to the handling agent the car is removed as it has to clear customs seperately.

It was MAF inspected ($265) and then released, no cleaning necessary and it wasn´t particularly spotless as eldest daughter had to do 350miles in it to attend an interview the day before it went in the container.

As we hadn´t owned it for quite the 12mths prior to shipping we had to pay GST on car purchase price less depreciation since purchase plus shipping and insurance (shipping in the container was pro-rated on volume taken up in the container).

As it wasn´t road legal it was put on a truck to deliver it to the compliance centre.

I had:
V5 (original)
VW statement of EU standards compliance
Fuel consumption certificate (downloaded and printed from the NZTA site)
Frontal impact standard compliance was taken from the VIN and decoded as passing against the list on the NZTA site.

Emissions have to be Euro 3 or Euro 4, our was Euro 2 BUT we got the new immigrants exemption (which means it could be a dirty as you like), as by the point of the compliance test we had owned the car for 12mths!

Then there was a physical inspection, all this showed up was that the rear discs were below minimum and had to be replaced ($300+gst), that then showed up that one rear caliper had seized during the journey and needed rebuild ($150+gst). The inspection includes checking that all the window glass, tyres and some other bits have the correct E number standards marking so it might be worth checking if you have had any glass replaced that it does have the E number on the glass itself.

Then we had trouble finding the ECE plate/sticker. This is VITAL and would have meant it could not be registered as legal if not found. The number was on the compliance certificate from VW but the number MUST be on the car.... after some searching it was found under the back seat base next to the pressed-in VIN in the bodywork.

Phew, so all passed and just for a bill of $1100 or so inc the repairs above. WOF (MOT) sticker inc in the price and affixed to the windscreen.

Then you get a form, round to the nearest VTNZ (or AA) centre, register it using the form and they issue you with the plates and windscreen rego thing (tax disc equivalent).

Back to the compliance centre, fix the plates and rego sticker on and viola off we go driving home.

So, quite painless apart from the repairs (but at least we get use of the new brakes), but you must have the right paperwork AND check that the car meets the right standards before you ship AND know where the ECE standard number is on the car (I missed that bit but as we found it it wasn´t fatal).

Anyone doing this feel free to PM for any more details....worth doing, not financially but it gave some continuity and the kids all loved it and really looked forward to driving our car again...
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:16 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Import, how it went...

Cool

I can recommend www.vask.co.nz for good advice on where to get parts when needed, recommended servicing etc.
I find that local suppliers like to charge twice the UK/US price for replacement parts for VWs and it's often cheaper to import your own!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 11:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Update on the hilight of the last week, we got our car through compliance and registered so here is a quick how-it-went-for-us...

Then we had trouble finding the ECE plate/sticker. This is VITAL and would have meant it could not be registered as legal if not found. The number was on the compliance certificate from VW but the number MUST be on the car.... after some searching it was found under the back seat base next to the pressed-in VIN in the bodywork.
So, quite painless apart from the repairs (but at least we get use of the new brakes), but you must have the right paperwork AND check that the car meets the right standards before you ship AND know where the ECE standard number is on the car (I missed that bit but as we found it it wasn´t fatal).

Anyone doing this feel free to PM for any more details....worth doing, not financially but it gave some continuity and the kids all loved it and really looked forward to driving our car again...

Hi,
I've asked before about my 'classic' Triumph Stag, but I'm also considering bringing my Fiat 500 (newish one). The way I read the various exemptions etc on the nzta website, I should be able to bring the Stag as a 'Special interest vehicle' if the permit quota of 200/year is not used up, or alternatively as an 'immigrants vehicle'. This will leave the 500 as a regular used vehicle import that I've owned for >1year so I'll need to collect all the homologation certification.
So what I want to clear up in my mind is the ECE plate/sticker the one with something like E3 in a circle and a list of codes like 13HR, 64R with numbers next to them or the longer number (which is on the plate with chassis no/VIN and weights) that is something like e3*2001/116*0261?
thanks,
John.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:43 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Cool

I can recommend www.vask.co.nz for good advice on where to get parts when needed, recommended servicing etc.
I find that local suppliers like to charge twice the UK/US price for replacement parts for VWs and it's often cheaper to import your own!
If you're on the Shore, contact the AA for an approved garage. The vetting procedure for the AA is quite stringent.....
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:56 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by johnht
So what I want to clear up in my mind is the ECE plate/sticker the one with something like E3 in a circle and a list of codes like 13HR, 64R with numbers next to them or the longer number (which is on the plate with chassis no/VIN and weights) that is something like e3*2001/116*0261?
Its the longer one on the VIN sticker AFAIK, the 2001/116 is the important one in your sequence...
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Achy is an unknown quantity at this point

It is definitely the long number beginning with the e3*.......

You could always consider taking one car over as your wifes car and thus try and get both in as immigrants cars.......worth giving it a go cos you could save 15% of whatever the car is worth.

I am currently planning the shipping of my own car (Honda S2000) as we are due to fly out just after xmas.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:34 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Achy

You could always consider taking one car over as your wifes car and thus try and get both in as immigrants cars.......worth giving it a go cos you could save 15% of whatever the car is worth.

I am currently planning the shipping of my own car (Honda S2000) as we are due to fly out just after xmas.
For that to work all the evidence of the car has to agree, receipt, V5, import docs and presented id have to be in the same name so if you want your wife to be the importer afaik it may need you to get all that sorted in her name (not sure what you can do about the receipt)....
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by Achy

I considered this, but as Simonsi has guessed all the documents for both cars are in my name, then I found Customs factsheet 29 which says:

Do customs charges apply to motor vehicles or boats imported by persons arriving with a document authorising residence?
A person arriving in New Zealand who on the date of importation of the goods holds a document authorising residence in New Zealand has the ability to import a motor vehicle, motorcycle, and/or small ship (generally a trailer-borne boat) without having to pay the standard GST normally levied on all imported goods. (This is called concessionary entry). In the case of a motorhome or campervan, the concession also grants relief from tariff duty. It is possible to claim the concession for more than one vehicle, motorcycle, or boat, provided all the conditions set out below can be met in respect of each item for which duty (GST) free entry is sought.

The conditions they refer to are like the NZTA immigrant vehicle requirements of permanent residence having lived outside NZ etc.

So, unless that is now out of date I assume that Customs allow more than one qualifying vehicle per person exempt of tax, but the restriction is set by NZTA only allowing one special case immigrant's vehicle - and any other 'modern' cars have to meet the various homologation standards they set out.

John
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:17 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by johnht
...NZTA only allowing one special case immigrant's vehicle...
That is my understanding but it might be worth checking with the compliance centre you would use, I found them, umm, slightly more flexible in their interpretation than customs...