Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-2 Visa Denied Help What Can I Do ?

E-2 Visa Denied Help What Can I Do ?

Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

uxdady is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy E-2 Visa Denied Help What Can I Do ?

I live in the UK, and was wondering if anyone could help.

I am devastated at the denial of my E-2 visa, at the American Embassy here in London recently. Last 2 years I worked so hard. I didn't have enough money, so I really worked hard to make that investment. In the end the Visa was denied.

I would like some advice.

I invested $100,000.00 in a franchise business in the USA, selling energy mints via vending and retail.

At the embassy interview recently my E-2 visa was denied on the basis that the investment was not more than a marginal one solely for earning a living.

My question is, is there another way to obtain an E-2 visa, like go to the USA on a B1/B2 visa and then apply for an E-2 visa from there.

I know about the L1 visa. I have been approached by the company I have invested in the USA, who say they have just opened the markets in the UK, and I can go ahead and sell the mints here. So theoretically after a year I could apply for an L1 visa, but I am interested in leaving the UK right now, and so I am not prepared to wait for another year.

That's why I would like to know if there was another way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-2 Visa Denied Help What Can I Do ?

I invested $100,000.00 in a franchise business in the USA, selling energy mints via vending and retail.
Revive?

At the embassy interview recently my E-2 visa was denied on the basis that the investment was not more than a marginal one solely for earning a living.
Is that true, what did your Attorney say?

My question is, is there another way to obtain an E-2 visa, like go to the USA on a B1/B2 visa and then apply for an E-2 visa from there.
You are confusing Visa and Status. Do you have a B visa. If not how would you get one?

I know about the L1 visa. I have been approached by the company I have invested in the USA, who say they have just opened the markets in the UK, and I can go ahead and sell the mints here. So theoretically after a year I could apply for an L1 visa, but I am interested in leaving the UK right now, and so I am not prepared to wait for another year.
Very theoretically

That's why I would like to know if there was another way.
There are lots, family sponsorship is the big one.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Did an immigration lawyer tell you that was a good investment to get an E-2 visa?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

He thought I would be able to get a visa for a minimum of 2 years, but if not then definitely 1 year and boy was he wrong!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Yes I have invested in selling Revive Mints.

All my attorney said after the visa denial was that the embassy had questioned the ability of the business to generate money.

I don't have a B visa, but I would apply for it at the embassy, if required.

I don't have any family in the USA and so family sponsorship is out of the question.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:11 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

How much money have you parted with, or did you just set it up without sinking the money until you found out if you could get a visa or not?

The L1 is either for employees with specialized knowledge or an employee who manages professionals. I don't see how filling a machine with product and placing it somewhere then stocking it would meet the criteria (if that is what this is).
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:28 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uxdady
Yes I have invested in selling Revive Mints.

All my attorney said after the visa denial was that the embassy had questioned the ability of the business to generate money.

I don't have a B visa, but I would apply for it at the embassy, if required.

I don't have any family in the USA and so family sponsorship is out of the question.
The money is usually held in escrow subject to issue of the visa. If your attorney advised otherwise, it was piss -poor professionalism.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Embassy rules state that the money has to be invested before applying for the E-2 visa. Therefore I have invested $100,000.

The money is still held in Escrow. That is not the problem. The fact that I don't know how to move forward from here, so that my chances of gaining a visa become favorable is the problem.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:47 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Embassy rules state that the money has to be invested before applying for the E-2 visa. Therefore I have invested $100,000.

The money is still held in Escrow. That is not the problem. The fact that I don't know how to move forward from here, so that my chances of gaining a visa become favorable is the problem.
So get your money back and get in with your life in Blighty. You're unlikely to get an E2 out of London with a mere $100k on the table.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Get your money back and count yourself lucky.
Energy mints - what a crock.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Get your money back and count yourself lucky.
Energy mints - what a crock.
Sounds like the Consulate have done you a BIG favour.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Theoretically you can secure a B2 visa and then apply for an E2 visa from within the US. There is a lower threshold for securing the E2 within the States and you may get it. However, I think it is unlikely that London would issue you a B2 because it will be hard for you to justify why you need that over VWP, and secondly if you ever need to come back to the UK for E2 renewal they will see what you have been up to and deny entry. Finally applying for a B2 with the intent of changing status is not permitted so it is not even an option.

I think the lowest dollar way to get into the US from the UK consulate, via an E2, is $150,000 in a food franchise. That's what I was told by three separate attorneys.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank You E2Brutus. I think for Michigan the $100,000 is enough, but the fact that I couldn't prove the business would do well (how could I predict what will actually happen apart from theoretically predicting the figures) and that employing two extra people was still not enough.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You E2Brutus. I think for Michigan the $100,000 is enough, but the fact that I couldn't prove the business would do well (how could I predict what will actually happen apart from theoretically predicting the figures) and that employing two extra people was still not enough.
I didn't think geography would come into the equation..... Why does it matter where the business was going to be?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

It could do.

Depending on the business set up costs could be very different.

My understanding of this sort of franchise is the it is more a part time/one person opportunity

To add the costs of 2 employees plus their transportation etc etc, I just do not see how it could add up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.