Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 visa and 212 d3a waiver valid for 1 year, how to renew?

E2 visa and 212 d3a waiver valid for 1 year, how to renew?

Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:48 am
Just Joined

fterry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa and 212 d3a waiver valid for 1 year, how to renew?

Hi All

(not sure if this is posted in the appropriate section??, I could not see section cover E2 so figured waivers may be best)

I have just received my first E2 visa, I have to get a 212 d (3) (a) waiver with it due to over ineligibility for misdeeds in my distant past.

The visa is valid for one year, I see that many people extend status whilst in the usa but am unsure if I can do this due to the waiver part (though the waiver is integral on the visa page, it just says waiver granted)

Please can anyone tell me if I have to have the next visa in place when this one expires and if there is anyway to extend status whilst making the application. Or do I have to leave the us by next august

Also is the whole procedure going to be the same (ie can I renew form the USA this time) with the same hoops to jump through. This application took 5 month, 3.5 months to interview, then 6 weeks for the waiver to come back granted from the USA. Do the US embassy have discretion to simply extend the waiver when renewing the visa?

I'm just trying to plan ahead and hopefully avoid the possibly of 5 months in the UK after spending the next 12 months building up the USA business which will likely require much of my attention.

thanks in advance for any responses.

Terry
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 visa and 212 d3a waiver valid for 1 year, how to renew?

Originally Posted by fterry
I see that many people extend status whilst in the usa but am unsure if I can do this due to the waiver part (though the waiver is integral on the visa page, it just says waiver granted)
Once you have the waiver, you have it - you don't have to get it every time you renew.

Please can anyone tell me if I have to have the next visa in place when this one expires and if there is anyway to extend status whilst making the application.
You need to apply prior to your current visa expiring. I believe your status is automatically extended while the renewal is processed. I'm sure I'll be corrected if that's wrong.

Ian