Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Next citizenship ceremony in brissie? Who knows the dates

Next citizenship ceremony in brissie? Who knows the dates

Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:37 am
Just Joined

tatu_boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next citizenship ceremony in brissie? Who knows the dates

Hey.. Just like to ask if anyone has just been approved their application for citizenship in brissie, and is invited to ceremony and know the date of it?

I’m currently waiting on my approval of my application, but very curious when is the next one for Brisbane city council and if i will make to it or not...

Thanks for ur replies
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next citizenship ceremony in brissie? Who knows the dates

From memory Brisbane don't have many ceremonies a year. A friend did hers last year and had to wait five months to get a date (from getting the OK). 'They' say you shouldn't have to wait more than 3 months but that's rarely the case from what I read on these boards and that's all around the country. Best I know of is here on the GC. They seem to do them monthly roughly but some councils do a lot less.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 5:48 am
Just Joined

shahank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tatu_boy
Hey.. Just like to ask if anyone has just been approved their application for citizenship in brissie, and is invited to ceremony and know the date of it?

I’m currently waiting on my approval of my application, but very curious when is the next one for Brisbane city council and if i will make to it or not...

Thanks for ur replies
I gave my test yesterday and was quite easy in Brisbane. Also, thankfully my police clearance came back before i left the DIAC office and the guy said that all looks good and i should receive the approval within a week or two.

With regards to the to the ceremony I am hoping they have one on Sept 17th which is citizenship day and hopefully we should be invited to attend that ceremony. Incase, I do get the invitation you are always welcome to give the brisbane city council a call and ask them if they can squeeze you in along with me saying that we are friends. Good Luck!

Please do keep us posted on the status of the ceremony though!

Thanks!
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shahank
I gave my test yesterday and was quite easy in Brisbane. Also, thankfully my police clearance came back before i left the DIAC office and the guy said that all looks good and i should receive the approval within a week or two.

With regards to the to the ceremony I am hoping they have one on Sept 17th which is citizenship day and hopefully we should be invited to attend that ceremony. Incase, I do get the invitation you are always welcome to give the brisbane city council a call and ask them if they can squeeze you in along with me saying that we are friends. Good Luck!

Please do keep us posted on the status of the ceremony though!

Thanks!
Hey i sat mine on monday... bloke told me they should finilize it this week or teo... how come they did not ask me for my police clearance or did not mention anything to me... hm....
Well i'm hoping on approval soon too as it looks pretty quiet there at DIAC the moment...
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

UUUHHOOOOOO!!! Application was approved today! That was quick,
appointment was on monday and approved today! Now it says on my application- ready for ceremony, please wait for letter with ceremony details!!!!!
yay!!!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine has a citizenship ceremony in bris at the end of August. They got a letter to say owing to the election there is no Minister to sign the certificate, so they won't get a certificate until some later unspecified date when it will be sent in the mail.
On ringing the helpline to ask how they are supposed to get passports as they will have no proof of citizenship they were told to just travel using their visas....which of course will no longer be valid as they will be citizens They have flights booked for October - no problem getting out on their existing passports, but they can't get back in using their visas, cos they won't be valid, can't apply for passports, and they may not even have citizenship certificates by then, so it could be a one-way flight and they end up stuck in the UK!

Hmmm perhaps I should try it!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

I got my citizenship ceremony letter and it says "you may not receive your certificate at your ceremony. It is a requirement.....that certificates be signed by the Minister of the day".

So I'm thinking if there is no government change that we should still get it on the day?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
I got my citizenship ceremony letter and it says "you may not receive your certificate at your ceremony. It is a requirement.....that certificates be signed by the Minister of the day".

So I'm thinking if there is no government change that we should still get it on the day?
Odd and unusual. At least I never heard of this one before - the Minister remains in office, at least in a caretaker capacity, until a new one is appointed.

In other words, although no new policies are normally made, day to day business should go on as normal. Does someone in DIAC need to have constitutional convention explained to them?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aldebaran

Sounds just like the one my friend has.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:40 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Odd and unusual. At least I never heard of this one before - the Minister remains in office, at least in a caretaker capacity, until a new one is appointed.

In other words, although no new policies are normally made, day to day business should go on as normal. Does someone in DIAC need to have constitutional convention explained to them?
But maybe the minister cannot "sign" new documents whilst in caretaker mode, each citizenship certificate is legal document signed by the minister.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:13 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the same situation as Pollyana describes.

My ceremony is the beginning of Sept and I've got a flight booked three weeks later. When I spoke to my local council they said I might not get my certificate at the ceremony as there was no Minister to sign it.

I then spoke to the passport agency and they said no certificate = no passport - even if I have other proof I've attended the ceremony! (they had NO idea about this situation arising).

The citizenship approval letter specifically states that as soon as you attend the ceremony your PR visa is no long valid. I'm not sure what to do either

Last edited by WS; Aug 14th 2010 at 4:29 am. Reason: sp
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:15 am
Just Joined

omg, this is strange... well i wonder what will my letter say when i get it, maybe the same stuff... but, surely guys they would have some arrangements to have certificates signed shortly post ceremony? what you think guys?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:21 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

You would think they should have some provisional arrangement in place to deal with this.

And if not, why are they still holding ceremonies at the end of August/start of September if no one will get certificates, can't get passports and their current visa's are cancelled!?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't said they won't get their certificates. They have said, going by the two quotes above that you MAY not. Presumably covering themselves if, for example, the votes need recounting after a very close race leaving the area without an elected minister. I don't remember hearing of anyone having a problem after the previous election.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:31 am
WS

My local council said they had been told they would not have certificates for the ceremonies between mid Aug and mid Sept. But they would be posted to people afterwards, but didn't know how long so it might only be a few days afterwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.