Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

So you reach out to grab a spare loo roll and...

So you reach out to grab a spare loo roll and...

Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:09 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default So you reach out to grab a spare loo roll and...

...it has a little passenger!

Only in New Zealand!

It's a Weta. Native to New Zealand and harmless. They feed on rotting vegetation. The spike at the back is an ovipositor as this is a female.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:26 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So you reach out to grab a spare loo roll and...

Think its a cousin of this little bugger...

The US Potato Bug...disgusting
Attached Thumbnails So you reach out to grab a spare loo roll and...-potato-bug.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:48 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, how did you, erm, "get rid" of it?

WP
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:51 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Erm, how did you, erm, "get rid" of it?

WP
I took her outside and gently pushed her onto a tree branch.
She promptly leapt off towards my hand, missed and landed on a plant leaf
They're not fast moving creatures but they sure can jump!!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:12 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Its a good job you dodn't wipe your bum with it it would have been like using that toilet paper that resembled tracing paper ( IZOL ) that medicated stuff, like sandpaper lol
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:19 pm
Happy in Wellington

Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Its a good job you dodn't wipe your bum with it it would have been like using that toilet paper that resembled tracing paper ( IZOL ) that medicated stuff, like sandpaper lol
I used to be able to get a canny tune outta that stuff wrapped around a comb when I was a kid.

Ah, there's something I've never seen or heard of in a long long time, a comb!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen a weta yet! Been here nearly 4 years Thank god it wasn't on my loo roll, hate creepy crawlies, have to get the house spider proofed every year! I would have bashed it I am sorry to say - ok don't get on me back for cruelty to insects it's a woman thing! Well it is with me anyway! I scream when I am on my own and no one around to hear me if I see a big spider
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:31 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by shirl
Not seen a weta yet! Been here nearly 4 years Thank god it wasn't on my loo roll, hate creepy crawlies, have to get the house spider proofed every year! I would have bashed it I am sorry to say - ok don't get on me back for cruelty to insects it's a woman thing! Well it is with me anyway! I scream when I am on my own and no one around to hear me if I see a big spider
They're protected - the DOC police would have been around
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
They're protected - the DOC police would have been around
Well they would have had to know I had one in the house first lol!!! The screams might have given it away! Are they peculiar to the North Island or do we have them down south or is it too cold down here for them!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:42 pm
Happy in Wellington

Well they would have had to know I had one in the house first lol!!! The screams might have given it away! Are they peculiar to the North Island or do we have them down south or is it too cold down here for them!
That one is a Wellington Weta. I think you get varieties of them all over but the bigger ones are most likely further North.

I'd love to meet one of the really big ones. They're been wiped out on the mainland though. The Wellington Weta is bottom right on the pic.

Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

I shall be keeping an eye open for them on me travels then I will avoid at all costs in case one jumps on me and I start screaming like a wailing banshee!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I,m just wondering what you where doing in the bog with a camera
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:00 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I,m just wondering what you where doing in the bog with a camera
The wife went in, spotted the interloper and after she came out she suggested I go have a look.

All innocent
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I would have bashed it I am sorry to say - ok don't get on me back for cruelty to insects it's a woman thing!

Nooooo way, they are far too big and crunchy to bash! Yeugh! Running away and screaming like a girl is the best option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.