Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

High Cholesterol and Liver

High Cholesterol and Liver

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default High Cholesterol and Liver

Well despite being 27 and seemingly "normal" fit, turns out ive got slightly higher cholesterol and liver function than allowed. Ive been told by immigration they will be sent to the MA probably.
The doc says its no problem and has wrote "Nil Significant" on my medical the stuff that ive not passed on is
Liver
63 should be <60

Cholesterol
7.7 should be <5.0

LDL Cholesterol
5.3 should be <3.0

Chol/HDL Ratio
4.6 should be <4.5

Any ideas if this will be a stopper or a retest or probable pass. I have clean bill of health for everything else, Blood pressure ok, BMI, weight etc all ok.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Re: High Cholesterol and Liver

and reading everything they shouldnt have even tested my cholesterol!!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:14 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell you about what immigration would do, but if it becomes an issue you should be retested, as results from labs can vary quite a bit.

My main concern would be the liver which from a health point of view causes more harm in the short term. Quit all alcohol, fruit juices and soda drinks (with sweetener or sugar). They all strain the liver and can lead to fatty liver disease and ultimately Cirrhosis . Making these simple changes will help prevent a minor issue becoming a major one.

Regarding Cholesterol, read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Choles...7291528&sr=8-1
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to get on the Porridge methinks
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rason
They test your cholestrol if your waist size is over a certain limit (I can't remember what). Mine isnt - I didn't get tested, his was, he did get tested. Are you saying that your waist size was under this limit? Was it a fasting test that you had to prepare for, if not, it's not valid if you had eaten in the previous 10 hours.

The liver reading is within their error limits.

Jan

PS my grandad's cholestrol was 9 and he lived until he was 94, dying of old age in the end.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rason
They changed it back in May I think - NZ test cholesterol regardless of your waist size - we had ours done too.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayC
They changed it back in May I think - NZ test cholesterol regardless of your waist size - we had ours done too.
Yup think you're right, everyone is getting tested now
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:42 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Time to get on the Porridge methinks
You will have to have a re-test..... as vital big stix says ..Porridge for breakfast & lunch!! Oats in general are very good for helping to reduce Cholesterol levels (better make sure you get enough )and as OP (JMH) says lay off the booze etc to help lower your liver function results.