Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Rotorua

Where to live in Rotorua

Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to live in Rotorua

I'm planning on heading over in the next few month (visa allowing) and I know this might be a wee bit premature but I cant help but spend a fair bit of time browsing places to rent in Rotorua.
Never having been I've really no idea what the different areas around town are like so wondered if anyone could give me any pointers? Anywhere I should definitely avoid or aim for?

I'm coming over to work in the hospital so somewhere not to far from there would be good but, I will eventually also be also working in Taupo at some point so need to consider the commute to there as well.
I'm on my own but would still be looking for a 2-3 bedroom house and wouldn't want to be too far from the centre of things.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live in Rotorua

Look in areas such as Lynmore, Owhata, Hannahs Bay, Springfiels, Hillcrest, some parts of Western Heights and Pukehangi.

AVOID Fordlands, Utuhina, Kotu, Mangakakahi.

If you want to be out of town then look at Lake Rotoiti or Hamurana which are both about 20 minutes drive. You will need a car as there is no bus route at all out there. I lived at Hamurana and absolutely loved it!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Nowhere in Rotorua is far from the hospital, however the commute to Taupo is well over an hour, so to keep costs down it would be better to move there than to commute, however some people do.

Get in touch with Pauline at Centrury 21 They are a rental company and Pauline is from the UK, this is their web page

http://www.century21.co.nz/index.cfm...e&agentID=1796

There are a few places to avoid, but Pauline will point you in the right direction. Check out these pages from Trademe of places to rent in Rotorua

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-pr...Bay-Of-Plenty/

There are quite a few Brits in Rotorua. Any other questions, just ask.

Gill
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you.
I'll be working in Rotorua to start with and then 'testing out' another unit on Taupo so will have to commute for a while (unless I decide not to bother and just stick to Rotorua) Lots of properties around just now look really nice so hopefully they'll be some good ones around when I finally get there.

Ok, so one more question (for now!) When I first arrive I'll be looking for hotel/motel type accommodation for a couple of weeks until I secure a rental. Any thoughts on this front?
Ive had a search through the web and the recruitment agency Im working with has suggested a few places but any personal recommendations would be great.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello have sent you a PM.
However there are loads of motels that will give a good rate per week.

Cheers
Gill
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
Thanks both of you.
I'll be working in Rotorua to start with and then 'testing out' another unit on Taupo so will have to commute for a while (unless I decide not to bother and just stick to Rotorua) Lots of properties around just now look really nice so hopefully they'll be some good ones around when I finally get there.

Ok, so one more question (for now!) When I first arrive I'll be looking for hotel/motel type accommodation for a couple of weeks until I secure a rental. Any thoughts on this front?
Ive had a search through the web and the recruitment agency Im working with has suggested a few places but any personal recommendations would be great.

When we arrived we stayed in a fully furnished holiday rental booked online before we left the UK. We stayed there for 5 weeks and got a good deal on the weekly rate for a block booking.
The website is:
http://www.bookabach.co.nz/__Rotorua.cfm

Last edited by RobDon; Jun 22nd 2010 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Newfies
Look in areas such as Lynmore, Owhata, Hannahs Bay, Springfiels, Hillcrest, some parts of Western Heights and Pukehangi.

AVOID Fordlands, Utuhina, Kotu, Mangakakahi.

If you want to be out of town then look at Lake Rotoiti or Hamurana which are both about 20 minutes drive. You will need a car as there is no bus route at all out there. I lived at Hamurana and absolutely loved it!
AVOID WEST SIDE (AS ABOVE FORDLANDS, UTUHINA, KOTU ETC) AND EAST SIDE OF ROTORUA, ESPECIALLY OWHATA, HANNAHS BAY AREAS, EVEN LYNMORE THESE ARE GANG CULTURE AREAS
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
AVOID WEST SIDE (AS ABOVE FORDLANDS, UTUHINA, KOTU ETC) AND EAST SIDE OF ROTORUA, ESPECIALLY OWHATA, HANNAHS BAY AREAS, EVEN LYNMORE THESE ARE GANG CULTURE AREAS
Disagree. Hannahs Bay, Lynmore and parts of Owhata are ok. Not seen any evidence of gang culture.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Any thoughts on the Kawaha Point area? I've spotted a couple of furnished rentals there that look ok but wondered what the areas was like as I don't think it's been mentioned yet?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Kawaha Point is a nice area, it sort of juts out into the lake...hence Kawaha POINT I suppose .
Koutu that borders Kawaha Point is a lot less nice. But Kawaha Point attracts the highest level of council rates, & probably has the highest concentration of professionals living there (although Lynmore is probably considered equally desirable). Downside is small sections.....so not the area to go for if you want a large garden and a couple of sheep .
If you want to PM me road names I can give you an idea of the area you're talking about...but generally it's a for Kawaha Point.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Jode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really niceJode81 is just really nice
Smile Re: Where to live in Rotorua

Hey there, we live in Ngongotaha, near Kawaha Point. Its a nice friendly area.

To be honest if you want to be in the "centre" of things, well.... Rotorua is not known to be a happening place. Most people here are either under 21 or over 40. There are so many cool things to do like the Luge, mountain biking and everyone will tell you that you are only an hour from.....

Lynmore, Ngongotaha, Springfields, Kawaha Point, Glenholme, Owhata are nice areas.

Stay away from Fordlands, Western Heights (some parts are OK, but your new so it will be hard to know a good road from a bad), Koutu.

Not sure why someone said there were gangs in Lynmore, if you live there, you know you have made it in Rotorua

Jode
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

There were so many Dr's living at Kawaha Point, it was nicknamed "Pill Hill".
Gill
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

So forget that, after a bit further investigation both of the rentals I was looking at aren't in Kawaha Point as the Trade Me ads suggest but are actually in Marama Point, Mourea...probably best to just wait till I get there before really looking for a rental so I can find out where they are first.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

bunnyphobia is on a distinguished road

Just de-lurking to say that I've found this thread really useful too - I'm moving to Rotorua in three weeks time, and have been looking for opinions on the different areas of the town for ages.

Nice to see that my hunches (based on rental prices/photos) have been proved mostly accurate. Given that my boyf will be working at the hospital, maybe we'll go live on 'Pill Hill' too

Out of interest, how long would it take to walk or cycle from one side of Rotorua to the other (from Kawaha Point to Lynmore, for example)? I've been looking at Google maps, but can't get a sense of distance at all!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia
Just de-lurking to say that I've found this thread really useful too - I'm moving to Rotorua in three weeks time, and have been looking for opinions on the different areas of the town for ages.

Nice to see that my hunches (based on rental prices/photos) have been proved mostly accurate. Given that my boyf will be working at the hospital, maybe we'll go live on 'Pill Hill' too

Out of interest, how long would it take to walk or cycle from one side of Rotorua to the other (from Kawaha Point to Lynmore, for example)? I've been looking at Google maps, but can't get a sense of distance at all!

From Pukehangi to Lynmore it takes 15 mins by car!
Would take much much longer by foot!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.