Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

cost of shipping from USA to UK

cost of shipping from USA to UK

Old May 7th 2010, 4:25 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all
Default cost of shipping from USA to UK

I just got a quote for a 20 ft container from California to UK for 3,680 GBP. We would pack and unpack ourselves. I am getting some more quotes from different companies. Does anyone have recent experience of this and does that seem reasonable? Trying to decide what to sell here and what to take with us. Many thanks!
Old May 7th 2010, 4:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of shipping from USA to UK

Originally Posted by Erica
I just got a quote for a 20 ft container from California to UK for 3,680 GBP. We would pack and unpack ourselves. I am getting some more quotes from different companies. Does anyone have recent experience of this and does that seem reasonable? Trying to decide what to sell here and what to take with us. Many thanks!
Any quote in GBP will be affected by the exchange rate, and I would guess most US-UK moves will be quoted in $US .... so anyone with recent experience may not be able to compare to a GBP quote.

Back in 2006, I think a 20-footer cost me $6k, with packing, but excluding insurance (Rinkens).

You also have to find out whether the quote includes insurance and port fees, etc., in order to compare to other people's experiences.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:05 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Any quote in GBP will be affected by the exchange rate, and I would guess most US-UK moves will be quoted in $US .... so anyone with recent experience may not be able to compare to a GBP quote.

Back in 2006, I think a 20-footer cost me $6k, with packing, but excluding insurance (Rinkens).

You also have to find out whether the quote includes insurance and port fees, etc., in order to compare to other people's experiences.
Thanks Dunroving. The quote includes customs clearance but excludes marine insurance, loading and unloading container and any packing that my be required. I will need to check into how much those are. I think it seems not disimilar to your costs of 6 years ago given the current exchange rate but they packed for you which is nice! How was your experience of shipping your stuff? Do you wish you had gotten rid of more before you left the USA?
Old May 7th 2010, 5:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dunroving. The quote includes customs clearance but excludes marine insurance, loading and unloading container and any packing that my be required. I will need to check into how much those are. I think it seems not disimilar to your costs of 6 years ago given the current exchange rate but they packed for you which is nice! How was your experience of shipping your stuff? Do you wish you had gotten rid of more before you left the USA?
In the sense that a 20-ft container holds a heck of a lot, it probably wouldn't have made much difference. However, I still have in storage a solid wood kitchen table and 4 chairs, 4 carpets/large rugs, and other stuff that I simply don't have the space or a need for, so yes. I also shipped two pretty crappy chests of drawers that I could easily have bought second-hand after I arrived here. However, I wish I had shipped my petrol lawnmower and petrol garden trimmer/hedge cutter/edger, as I could have used both of these.

I'm trying to head back that way and have resolved if I do, that I'll dump most of the big stuff and buy at the other end. I don't have anything that is irreplaceable or so brand new/expensive that it's worth taking with me - plus there's something appealing about simplifying things (especially possessions).
Old May 7th 2010, 5:29 pm
Erica

Originally Posted by dunroving
In the sense that a 20-ft container holds a heck of a lot, it probably wouldn't have made much difference. However, I still have in storage a solid wood kitchen table and 4 chairs, 4 carpets/large rugs, and other stuff that I simply don't have the space or a need for, so yes. I also shipped two pretty crappy chests of drawers that I could easily have bought second-hand after I arrived here. However, I wish I had shipped my petrol lawnmower and petrol garden trimmer/hedge cutter/edger, as I could have used both of these.

I'm trying to head back that way and have resolved if I do, that I'll dump most of the big stuff and buy at the other end. I don't have anything that is irreplaceable or so brand new/expensive that it's worth taking with me - plus there's something appealing about simplifying things (especially possessions).
I agree, a good purge of stuff is good for the soul! We have far too much and don't really need it. Most of our stuff is pretty rough and ready so we might just sell it here. Not sure how easy it is to come by second hand furniture in the UK. You can get loads of stuff here really cheaply on Craigslist and Freecycle and Ebay.
Old May 7th 2010, 7:06 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, everyone's situation is different but in our case (two 50-ish year olds with no pets, no kids, and no money ) we are selling it all to make the move back to the UK.

My husband has already shipped ahead 2 boxes (18x18x22) of clothes (sport coats, shoes, coats) via USPS which amounted to roughly $300 total.

We will also be shipping 2 more 18x18x22 boxes of small "decorative" stuff just to make it Home Sweet Home once we find a place to rent, and I am sending one M-bag of books.

Other than that, everything else is being sold: house, cars, furniture, PC's, etc. We've already had one huge yard sale, with another one coming up next week-end.

We'll each be bringing 2 suitcases on the flight, plus our carry-on's (a laptop and a netbook). Otherwise, we're buying everything else we'll need - which won't be much - once we get there.

It's all been rather liberating and we're liking it!!!

Denise
Old May 7th 2010, 7:08 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get loads of stuff here really cheaply on Craigslist and Freecycle and Ebay.
And in the UK, here:

www.ebay.co.uk
www.craigslist.co.uk
www.uk.freecycle.org
www.gumtree.com

Last edited by DDL; May 7th 2010 at 7:11 pm.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

We got a quote of $6,000 for a 20' container and had another bloke come round today telling us we wouldn't fit all our stuff in a 20' and needed a 40' which costs $10k. Personally I think he's after the extra money and we're fine with a 20'. There's stuff we can leave.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but we're moving back in the summer and more than likely staying at my parents for a while. Does anyone know if I can keep the trailer stored until we need it and if so what does it cost?
Old May 10th 2010, 7:04 pm
Erica

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
We got a quote of $6,000 for a 20' container and had another bloke come round today telling us we wouldn't fit all our stuff in a 20' and needed a 40' which costs $10k. Personally I think he's after the extra money and we're fine with a 20'. There's stuff we can leave.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but we're moving back in the summer and more than likely staying at my parents for a while. Does anyone know if I can keep the trailer stored until we need it and if so what does it cost?
What company are you using and where in the US are you?
Old May 11th 2010, 7:03 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Pauljarv

Some companies will store it for you (not sure if they will hold the container for you, or unpack and put into storage). Ask the companies for prices, it's often in the contracts/quotes.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

What company are you using and where in the US are you?
We're in Mass and the quote was from cargo-experts.net and included packing and unloading at the destination. It didn't include insurance.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:28 pm
tmi
Just Joined

tmi is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got quotes for a 40ft container and both came in at around $11,500 excluding insurance. Includes packing, loading and unloading from Truckee, CA to Herefordshire.
Old May 12th 2010, 10:33 pm
Erica

Originally Posted by tmi
Just got quotes for a 40ft container and both came in at around $11,500 excluding insurance. Includes packing, loading and unloading from Truckee, CA to Herefordshire.
You might want to try Wheaton as well, they gave us a quote for around 7,000 USD.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:29 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Has anyone ever considered or used Navis Pack and Ship. I ask because there is a depot near me in NC
http://www.navisraleighdurham.com/FindALocation.aspx
Thanks
Old May 13th 2010, 2:45 am
Erica

Originally Posted by J.J
Has anyone ever considered or used Navis Pack and Ship. I ask because there is a depot near me in NC
http://www.navisraleighdurham.com/FindALocation.aspx
Thanks
I got a quote from them that was very cheap, I want to get them over to do an in-house survey to see how it works out. I checked them out online with the BBB and they seem to be a good company. Will let you know how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.