How to bring settlement funds?

Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

ozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant future
Default How to bring settlement funds?

Hi,

when you land on Canada for the first time, you have to bring settlement funds according to the number of your family member.
It's huge money at least $10K.

So, I am wondering how you brought it?
What will I ask a bank to issue?
Is a bank draft payable to myself enough as when I paid Right of Permanent Residence Fee?

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to bring settlement funds?

I think most people just show proof they have the funds (recent bank statement) dont they, rather than bringing in cash etc.

Seems popular to open an account from outside Canada and wire the money in in advance.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Get a big silver suitcase, fill it with $100 notes and handcuff it yourself. That should get your through customs and on your way really quick.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

ozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant futureozzoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
I think most people just show proof they have the funds (recent bank statement) dont they, rather than bringing in cash etc.

Seems popular to open an account from outside Canada and wire the money in in advance.
Thanks,

Do they accept estatement printed out?

I have an AIB saving account and phoned an AIB branch to order a normal statement.
They said they don't issue a normal statement for the saving account I have.

I need to go to the AIB branch and figure it out.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzoon
Thanks,

Do they accept estatement printed out?

I have an AIB saving account and phoned an AIB branch to order a normal statement.
They said they don't issue a normal statement for the saving account I have.

I need to go to the AIB branch and figure it out.
Its got to be official and recent i think. I printed out an online banking statement, but it was CDN funds.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Its got to be official and recent i think. I printed out an online banking statement, but it was CDN funds.
I printed it out but obviously no CDN funds but Euro.

How did you get CDN funds?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ozzoon
I printed it out but obviously no CDN funds but Euro.

How did you get CDN funds?
I'd been living in canada for three years

As I indicated, many people open accounts while still overseas, or while here on a recce, and then transfer the funds over. A bank draft to yourself in CDN dollars would work too I suppose, or cash.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I'd been living in canada for three years

As I indicated, many people open accounts while still overseas, or while here on a recce, and then transfer the funds over. A bank draft to yourself in CDN dollars would work too I suppose, or cash.
thanks alot
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I took my UK bank statement (in £) and about $1,000. Immigration just wanted to know how much I had in cash on me, so she can write that amount on the COPR. She wasn't interested in seeing the bank statement and didnt care that I have a full required amount on me or not. From what I have read here, most of time, immigrtion officers are not concerened if you have the required funds, just how much you carry in cash when you arrive.

If you do carry $10,000 or over in cash (or cash equivalent), you need to declare it at the immigration.

Ray
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

is it possible to open a CDN $ account before you get residency/work visas?

I checked out HSBC today and they say that you have to be resident first?

Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west

i opened a td account whilst in canada as a visitor
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

People have done it. Sometimes I guess it depends who you talk to.

HSBC for sure do it, but they used to require a substantial amount in the account. They recently announced some new product or other that was more relaxed.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

HSBC does allow you to open a Canadian account. As iaink said, it depends on who you talk to. Certainly dont talk to anyone at a branch at HSBC, from my experience they usualy dont know. Call the number on the website, I think its under international.

You can have your statements for your Canadian account sent to your UK address (or just select online statement only), until you move and have a Canadian address.

Ray
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by raymasa
HSBC does allow you to open a Canadian account. As iaink said, it depends on who you talk to. Certainly dont talk to anyone at a branch at HSBC, from my experience they usualy dont know. Call the number on the website, I think its under international.

You can have your statements for your Canadian account sent to your UK address (or just select online statement only), until you move and have a Canadian address.

Ray
I've been to my local HSBC today with a bunch of completed forms from a pdf document they had emailed me, you can get them here;

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/en/personal/i...l-services-new

When you click on apply you'll be able to request the pdf document you need to fill in to take to your local branch with ID. Local Branch staff will likely appear a little confused, but they'll take copies of your ID certify them, then forward everything to the HSBC international in London for processing.

The account used to be known as the HSBC Passport account but has recently been overhauled and is now known as the HSBC Advance account. Unless you have mega bucks that is and qualify for the Premier Account