Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USC... SSA & CoN - a cautionary tale!

USC... SSA & CoN - a cautionary tale!

Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default USC... SSA & CoN - a cautionary tale!

I applied for a FAFSA loan last week as part of an application package for a doctorate program I’m considering. You can imagine my surprise when, last night, I received an email indicating that processing on the loan had been suspended because SSA could not confirm that I was a USC. WTF?

For those who haven't been here long... I naturalized on Friday, June 25, 2004 (and to think I still hang around here! I must truly love you guys... or I’m totally nuts! ... hard to tell at times! ). Anyway, the following Monday, I registered to vote and then went to the SSA to update my information. The lady took a photocopy of my Certificate of Naturalization and told me the records would be updated as requested.

And life went on... me, blissfully unaware that no such updates had been made!

This morning, before going to work, I took my CoN and my US passport and presented myself at our local SSA office. I was the first one there! I explained what happened and could the lady please confirm that my records were accurate. Well, not surprisingly, they weren’t. I was still listed as a resident alien. I handed over my CoN and PP and the lady went about changing and verifying the information while I sat there. She called over a colleague to double check that she was doing things correctly. After about 10 minutes, it was all done. The fellow she called over mentioned that this should have been entered properly years ago but wasn’t and apologized for the oversight. He said that updating the records to reflect someone’s new status as a USC is the same process used to get an initial SS card, and then said I should get a new (albeit duplicate) SS card in the mail in about a week.

Anyway – it worked out fine, but I thought I’d post this cautionary tale just in case someone else comes across a similar situation in their journey.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC... SSA & CoN - a cautionary tale!

Thank you, Ian! Good luck with your doctorate program.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:31 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Pink just got around to doing this this past Friday (he happened to be off work due to having his gallbladder taken out this past week and figured he'd go to SSA since on a normal day it's closed by the time he is done with work!) He's been a USC since Sept. 2, 2008 but just never got around to it.

We filled out the form for a duplicate card and when we went to the window the nice lady told him he didn't need the form, wouldn't be getting a duplicate card and that all she had to do was change his info. in the computer after he showed his Certificate of Naturalization and passport to her.

However, when she was done tap-tap-tapping away, she made him swear that the information he had given her was accurate, and handed him a paper that is titled, "Application For Replacement Social Security Number Card". At the bottom of the paper it says, "acceptable evidence of identity and US citizenship submitted."

It has a place for his signature and date, but she happily said, "Nope! You don't even need to sign it, all done!" Uh, ok.

Based on your report, Ian, I think I will have him call in a couple of weeks and make sure that it was taken care of properly....it seemed too easy!

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink (finally a Real Boy!)
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is something we've been meaning to do since 2007.

This info would be useful in the general US forum.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:00 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This is something we've been meaning to do since 2007.
We're a group of slackers!
~SG
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
~SG
Speak for yourselves! LOL

Although...we really should check on Sadegh's, just to make sure...

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well I live with a slacker too
Dh got his citizenship in 86 and still hasn't done it, and I got mine in 2001.
I think a trip to the SSA is in order.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
~SG
We're going to try to get it sorted tomorrow morning.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:02 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I applied for a FAFSA loan last week as part of an application package for a doctorate program I’m considering. You can imagine my surprise when, last night, I received an email indicating that processing on the loan had been suspended because SSA could not confirm that I was a USC. WTF?

For those who haven't been here long... I naturalized on Friday, June 25, 2004 (and to think I still hang around here! I must truly love you guys... or I’m totally nuts! ... hard to tell at times! ). Anyway, the following Monday, I registered to vote and then went to the SSA to update my information. The lady took a photocopy of my Certificate of Naturalization and told me the records would be updated as requested.

And life went on... me, blissfully unaware that no such updates had been made!

This morning, before going to work, I took my CoN and my US passport and presented myself at our local SSA office. I was the first one there! I explained what happened and could the lady please confirm that my records were accurate. Well, not surprisingly, they weren’t. I was still listed as a resident alien. I handed over my CoN and PP and the lady went about changing and verifying the information while I sat there. She called over a colleague to double check that she was doing things correctly. After about 10 minutes, it was all done. The fellow she called over mentioned that this should have been entered properly years ago but wasn’t and apologized for the oversight. He said that updating the records to reflect someone’s new status as a USC is the same process used to get an initial SS card, and then said I should get a new (albeit duplicate) SS card in the mail in about a week.

Anyway – it worked out fine, but I thought I’d post this cautionary tale just in case someone else comes across a similar situation in their journey.

Ian
I just went through something similar with my sons. They were adopted on 12/23/09 and on 1/13/10 we applied for new SS#'s for them with thier new names. While there, I asked that their survivor benefit information be updated accordingly and was assured it was. I am now going through the appeals process for my oldest son for Disability and received a phone call from SS demanding to know why I was filing under his New name and not his old name...etc... it was a mess but eventually in about 30 mins they were able to fix it in the system.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:11 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Speak for yourselves! LOL

Rene
Oh hush. I've been tired.
~SG
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This info would be useful in the general US forum.
I'm happy to cross-post it.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ian
I'm betting not many know about it...I didn't until someone mentioned it to me when I became a USC. At the oath ceremony we were told about the need to travel on a US PP but nothing was said about the SSN.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I read a post just after DH became a USC and sent it to him, all I remember it said he had to do something to do with his SSN...............

He still hasn't done it, when he gets home I'll show him this!

Disclaimer, the above post is of no use to anyone but I know what I mean!

Good luck Ian.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ian

I think it would be very useful...but as we are not supposed to cross post maybe Mo could advise.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be very useful...but as we are not supposed to cross post maybe Mo could advise.
There, how's that? I moved it & left a re-direct. The people in the visa forum can see the headline and click through to here.

And the rest of you rabble.. get down to the SSA! How many times do I have to tell you!

(we, like most people, did go down there and update but never verified it... sigh, always one more thing to do!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.