Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Which Tourist Visa for someone with MS please?

Which Tourist Visa for someone with MS please?

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

lulubaby will become famous soon enoughlulubaby will become famous soon enough
Default Which Tourist Visa for someone with MS please?

Hello everyone, My husband uses walking sticks or a wheelchair to get around because he has MS (Multiple Sclerosis). We are from the UK.
We are hoping to visit Oz later this year to see our young grandchildren and their parents.
Does anyone know if the MS will stop my husband getting a tourist visa and also which one should he apply for in the first place? We think he has to apply for a e676 but are not 100% sure.
Any help and advice would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks!
LB
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Tourist Visa for someone with MS please?

I am not aware of any health requirements for ETA/evisitor:
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...ligibility.htm

So if he is a British citizen and not otherwise inadmissible he should be ok in visa terms. Does he have travel insurance?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ

So if he is a British citizen and not otherwise inadmissible he should be ok in visa terms. Does he have travel insurance?
Ooops, thank you for your reply JAJ,
it looks like my husband may have made a mistake as he has now applied for an e676 because of his MS, he thought he would be classed as 'not in good health' even though it's only his mobility thats affected by the MS.
Now he has been asked to go for a medical.
Not sure what to do now.......
Best Regards, LB ;-)
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ

Hi again JAJ, I forgot to mention, yes, he has travel insurance quote for when we eventually go.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lulubaby
Ooops, thank you for your reply JAJ,
it looks like my husband may have made a mistake as he has now applied for an e676 because of his MS, he thought he would be classed as 'not in good health' even though it's only his mobility thats affected by the MS.
Now he has been asked to go for a medical.
Not sure what to do now.......
Best Regards, LB ;-)
Panic over! He phoned the London office today and they said the e676 is the correct visa to apply for and he does have to have a medical check done (which will obviously delay things a bit) but never mind, hopefully worth it in the end, when we see our lovely family and grandchildren again
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He phoned the London office today and they said the e676 is the correct visa to apply for and he does have to have a medical check done (which will obviously delay things a bit)

Why did they say that? I am not sure that you received correct advice. Of course, if he has gone ahead and applied for a 676 visa then he may have no choice but to do what they say ....
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why did they say that? I am not sure that you received correct advice. Of course, if he has gone ahead and applied for a 676 visa then he may have no choice but to do what they say ....
Hi JAJ, Yes, we wondered that too, especially after reading your advice again. So we have also emailed the Hobart office (as they are dealing with the application) to check if this is the correct visa he has applied for and if he could have applied for the one you suggested instead.

He is still waiting for a reply.... I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply .......
LB
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JAJ, Yes, we wondered that too, especially after reading your advice again. So we have also emailed the Hobart office (as they are dealing with the application) to check if this is the correct visa he has applied for and if he could have applied for the one you suggested instead.

He is still waiting for a reply.... I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply .......
LB
LB - I thought you got your visa yesterday, so why does it matter now? I certainly wouldn't be asking DIAC if I have got the right visa and to reconsider
Old Mar 26th 2010, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
LB - I thought you got your visa yesterday, so why does it matter now? I certainly wouldn't be asking DIAC if I have got the right visa and to reconsider
Hi Bermudashorts, yes, got mine ok, but this one is for my husband who has MS. He has to go for amedical for the same visa. Hope that explains things better.....
Best Regards,
LB