A three month update

Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:53 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A three month update

Well, as the title says, been here nearly three months, so thought I would let folks know how it was all going.

Absolutely loving it - no regrets at all so far. We got our visas in 2005 under the old 139 sponsored but didn't move until late last year. This was partly financial and partly to leave it as late as possible as my OH would have to leave his son (12) from his first marriage who lived with his ex-wife. We wanted a complete lifestyle change, stop commuting to London, having no time for anything and generally surviving rather than living.

Although the last few months was a major emotional roller coaster, and not one I found very enjoyable, it's just something you have to get through. I found leaving my family and friends hard but ok, as I haven't lived in the same town as most of them for many years. OH found it more difficult, and felt much more guilty, partly as he was used to seeing everyone more often than once a year. However he has adjusted really well and is looking forward to seeing his son and his mother at Easter when they come over for a holiday. He has said that although he misses people lots, its not as bad as he thought it would be. Regular Skype helps loads.

On the different lifestyle, OH was offered a part time job without even applying (contact of my cousin) and is enjoying going from a stressful policy/management type job to a more manual working out how to do and fit things. I have going from running a large dept to not working and so far not missing it!

I would say that having family or friends in Oz makes for a very easy soft landing and knowing how to get what done. If we had just been on our own it would have been more difficult dealing with some of the emotions in moving your life to the other side of the world - but not impossible

Tips etc for moving over - I spent a month not working and organising the final move, house sale etc. I really would not have wanted to try and do all that when working. As a result everything went pretty smoothly. Do not underestimate the stress even a smooth move puts on you and make sure you have some time to chill when you get here.

Things to bring - bung it all in a container unless its knackered and you need a new one anyway or really don't need it.
Things not to bring - quite so many clothes (suspect a charity shop will do well out of me soon), the usual prohibited stuff like cleaning fluids, alcohol, etc, the SKY box is about the only thing that will not work regardless
Things it is worth doing - cleaning the vacuum cleaner thoroughly, also golf kit and bikes (all checked by ACQIS), having a final shopping spree in M and S. Getting elderly parents a computer and teaching them to use SKYPE
Things its not worth doing - not found anything so far

Recommended suppliers - Crown for shipping, Letton Percival for insurance, HSBC Premier for banking; Internode easy broadband ($50 a month) for when you get set up in a rental, a wireless dongle for when you first arrive

A pain to deal with - Telstra (but no choice if you are outside the main metro areas); Ikea - crap customer service transcends continents

Things to do immediately - medicare, tax file number and driving licence

Generally found Oz as we expected, but we had been on holiday here 5 times before we came for good. Love it and don't regret the decision for a minute. My only regret was not buying dollars when the rate was 2.4, but I am not alone in that !!

Scotty
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Red face Re: A three month update

Hi

Enjoyed reading your post.

Paula
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of
Default Re: A three month update

Thanks for the post,always nice to hear from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

we've been here now for 2 yrs and 8 months.. uk via south africa and back to the uk a few times. eventually found what we were looking for, and really still thankful every day.. the gold coast ticks almost all the boxes.. just waiting to win the lottery now!!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent update Scotty! Nice to read positive posts about Oz for a change.

Gone fishing yet?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Summer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great update and I totally agree with all your to do/not to do list.
We are also those who regret not buying the dollar when the exchange was 2.4 and we were offered even 2.7 by our broker but thought nah, anyway money comes and goes, we are in Adelaide and enjoying it.

Good luck with everything.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:42 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Excellent update Scotty! Nice to read positive posts about Oz for a change.

Gone fishing yet?
OH has -he fished in the uk - and my cousin's son is a keen fisherman. Personally I prefer the fishmonger!!!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
we've been here now for 2 yrs and 8 months.. uk via south africa and back to the uk a few times. eventually found what we were looking for, and really still thankful every day.. the gold coast ticks almost all the boxes.. just waiting to win the lottery now!!
So you're a ping -pong -saffer- pom then Where in SA did you live ?