Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Please can someone help? Can i live in Australia?

Please can someone help? Can i live in Australia?

Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice
Lightbulb Please can someone help? Can i live in Australia?

Hello,

I was hoping somebody could help, or possibly point me in the right direction? I can’t quite determine whether my partner and I can live in Australia together. She is a Kiwi citizen, I am a UK citizen. We are 30 years old and moved from UK, and have been living in NZ for 2 years, and I have PR here and an IIRV. We would very much like to move to Melbourne if it’s a possibility. We have been together 11 years in a de facto partner relationship (god i really need to pop the question soon!).

I’m sure she can move there as she is a kiwi, but can I under some kind of partnership visa? I have looked at the Australian immigration web site but I find it a bit confusing (Would be nice if i could actually talk to someone there!)

If anyone can help, I’d be very grateful!

Thank you.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

qamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really niceqamar_qadian is just really nice
Default Re: Please can someone help? Can i live in Australia?

Originally Posted by pleccy2000
Hello,

I was hoping somebody could help, or possibly point me in the right direction? I can’t quite determine whether my partner and I can live in Australia together. She is a Kiwi citizen, I am a UK citizen. We are 30 years old and moved from UK, and have been living in NZ for 2 years, and I have PR here and an IIRV. We would very much like to move to Melbourne if it’s a possibility. We have been together 11 years in a de facto partner relationship (god i really need to pop the question soon!).

I’m sure she can move there as she is a kiwi, but can I under some kind of partnership visa? I have looked at the Australian immigration web site but I find it a bit confusing (Would be nice if i could actually talk to someone there!)

Thank you.
Defacto Visa is an option for you, search for this in DIAC website , you will find lot of information
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thank you.
Hi,

Your partner will need to be an "eligible new zealand citizen" which means that they need to meet one of the following:
  • have been in Australia on 26 February 2001 as the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa that was in force on that date, or
  • have been in Australia as the holder of a Subclass 444 visa for a period of, or periods that total, not less than 1 year in the period of 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001, or
  • have a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, that states that the citizen was, for the purposes of that Act, residing in Australia on a particular date.

I don't think that moving to Australia as the spouse of a kiwi is particularly easy. You might be better off speaking to a migration agent and looking at other options, or move to NZ as a spouse and move to Australia once you have NZ citizenship :-)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by lonndongeek; Feb 1st 2010 at 12:28 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Hi,

Your partner will need to be an "eligible new zealand citizen" which means that they need to meet one of the following:
  • have been in Australia on 26 February 2001 as the holder of a Subclass 444 (Special Category) visa that was in force on that date, or
  • have been in Australia as the holder of a Subclass 444 visa for a period of, or periods that total, not less than 1 year in the period of 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001, or
  • have a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, that states that the citizen was, for the purposes of that Act, residing in Australia on a particular date.

I don't think that moving to Australia as the spouse of a kiwi is particularly easy. You might be better off speaking to a migration agent and looking at other options, or move to NZ as a spouse and move to Australia once you have NZ citizenship :-)

Cheers

Steve
Thank you for that detailed answer. I was wondering what "eligible new zealand citizen" meant and you have clarified it. Basically she can live in Oz simply becasue she is a kiwi, but I'm guessing that she cannot sponsor me under a de facto partner category from what you are saying
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that detailed answer. I was wondering what "eligible new zealand citizen" meant and you have clarified it. Basically she can live in Oz simply becasue she is a kiwi, but I'm guessing that she cannot sponsor me under a de facto partner category from what you are saying
All the information you need can be found at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa

Unless you have a clear route to permanent resident status in Australia, it would be better to get your New Zealand citizenship first and think about options later on.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
All the information you need can be found at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa

Unless you have a clear route to permanent resident status in Australia, it would be better to get your New Zealand citizenship first and think about options later on.
Thanks for that link it’s very useful! OK After reading that I think I can go? My partner (kiwi) can get the 444 visa (all kiwi’s get this apparently), and I can apply for a 461 visa. I think that’s right unless I’ve completely mis understood? (thank you for all the wonderful help so far)
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link it’s very useful! OK After reading that I think I can go? My partner (kiwi) can get the 444 visa (all kiwi’s get this apparently), and I can apply for a 461 visa. I think that’s right unless I’ve completely mis understood? (thank you for all the wonderful help so far)
But have you understood the consequences of never being able to get permanent residence or citizenship?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
But have you understood the consequences of never being able to get permanent residence or citizenship?
That is a good point. I blindly assumed that you get PR just by staying in the country for a period of time - like NZ. However this does not seem to be the case with the 461. Guess I need to figure out how I can obtain PR.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

That is a good point. I blindly assumed that you get PR just by staying in the country for a period of time - like NZ. However this does not seem to be the case with the 461. Guess I need to figure out how I can obtain PR.
Not everyone is eligible. Depends on your occupations, if "skilled" then there is more chance. Otherwise, it may be better to get your NZ citizenship and then reconsider.

http://www.immi.gov.au has information on options to get PR.