Telephone interview

Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of
Default Telephone interview

I applied for a position at the Townsville Hospital back in August, I didn't even get a look in. It recently became available again, so I re-applied (figuring I had an approx arrival date that it may help). Got an email today asking if I was still interested and she would like to do a telephone interview next week.

What I wanted to know is, for those that have done it this way, how did it go? Also, most face to face interviews involve a panel, is it the same way for a telephone interview?

I'm hoping I can be more relaxed for a phone interview, in person panel interviews are intimidating to me and I don't do well.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Telephone interview

I had two people interview me via phone, to be honest I found it difficult as there I wasn't able to pick up on non-verbal cues that you can in normal interviews, no nod of the head, smiles... no real way of knowing that you were on the right path even though they did say reassuring things and were extremely friendly throughout. I came away from it wondering if I had messed up. Other people do very well with phone interviews, it means you can have prompt notes in front of you, which is definitely handy ooh and you can wear whatever you like, no uncomfortable suits and worrying about hair/make up!

I kept a few notes in front of me specific to the area that I would be working in, which was useful, although I already knew the stuff it gave me a kick start when I wasn't sure what to say!

Good luck with it all, its definitely reassuring to have a job to head over to!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:32 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsmylife
I had two people interview me via phone, to be honest I found it difficult as there I wasn't able to pick up on non-verbal cues that you can in normal interviews, no nod of the head, smiles... no real way of knowing that you were on the right path even though they did say reassuring things and were extremely friendly throughout. I came away from it wondering if I had messed up. Other people do very well with phone interviews, it means you can have prompt notes in front of you, which is definitely handy ooh and you can wear whatever you like, no uncomfortable suits and worrying about hair/make up!

I kept a few notes in front of me specific to the area that I would be working in, which was useful, although I already knew the stuff it gave me a kick start when I wasn't sure what to say!

Good luck with it all, its definitely reassuring to have a job to head over to!

great advice

also make sure the kids are out of the house

good luck
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Thank you!

Having a job lined up beforehand is definitely reassuring

I will update when I know

Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

kicking_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I had a phone interview for my last job when i worked in Sydney last year (it was arranged by health staff recruitment) I have to say i was very nervous - due to the time difference it was early in the morning and took time to get used to! The staff were really friendly and enthusiastic, i just took my time and tried to answer all their questions a best i could. There were 3 staff interviewing via a confrence phone but all introduced themselves so it wasnt to scary, as other posters have said you could be in your PJ's and they would have no idea!!

As previous posters have said, make some notes about your current position and what you think they will ask. Its very similar to questions you would be asked in the UK, there were also a few scenario's to answer as well (pt falls out of bed what would you do, you are about to give a controlled drug and another pt complains of chest pain, what would you do etc.... but all in all it wasnt as bad as i thought, and i got the job!!

Hope that helps

K
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!

She has emailed again asking me to call her because she wants to send me some papers before the interview. I'm going to assume that it'll be the scenario questions that they would give me at the interview. Kind of like that because it gives me a bit of a heads up and I can prepare for those.

Hoping I get the job
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:18 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Sounds positive Paula, At least you'll be able to have some paperwork lying around you too.
Good luck.