Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk passport renewal from the usa.

uk passport renewal from the usa.

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light
Default uk passport renewal from the usa.

hey guys, havent posted for ages!
I'm starting to try and figure out the process for renewing my UK passport from here in the USA. Im still a british citizen but a green card holder and I cant seem to locate the right website to find any info or forms.
I also have a couple of questions for those of you whove done this before...(!)

1. My passport expires in May 2010. Can I start the renewal process now or must I wait until its completely expired?

2. I understand my new passport photos will need countersigning (the only thing about my appearance thats changed is my haircolor but I want to be safe rather than sorry!) I dont know any British professionals over here but am wondering if my boss at work can sign them? Her job title would be "Branch manager" She runs a warehouse and sales offices for veterinary supplies.

3. When the passport is ready and delivered to my house, will I need to sign for it? Only I am never home when the mail comes because of work. Would this pose a problem?

4. Whats the best method of sending all the info, including my old passport? I'd like to send it as secure as possible!

5. How long does the whole process take, in your experiences?

sorry for the long winded-ness! I really appreciate any help!
thanks everyone
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk passport renewal from the usa.

Originally Posted by eggysbrain
I cant seem to locate the right website to find any info or forms.
You Googled "UK Embassy DC" right? http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/. You're looking for form C1 and also the notes and instructions.

Can I start the renewal process now or must I wait until its completely expired?
You can start now.

... am wondering if my boss at work can sign them? Her job title would be "Branch manager"
Yes. By the way, you don't need "British professionals"... Americans with similar status are just fine... I used my dentist.

When the passport is ready and delivered to my house, will I need to sign for it?
No.

Whats the best method of sending all the info, including my old passport? I'd like to send it as secure as possible!
I used the US Postal Service and a bubble envelope.

How long does the whole process take, in your experiences?
Mine took about 6 weeks.

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. My passport expires in May 2010. Can I start the renewal process now or must I wait until its completely expired?
Absolutely start the process now. There are many cases on this forum of passport applications being lost or delayed in the Embassy.

Don't book any travel until you have your new passport.

You would have found it easier to get a US passport, if you had become a citizen.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light

thanks! I forgot to add, I am changing my name on the passport to my married name. Do i include my original marriage certificate and fill out the form with my married name?

thanks so much!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

thanks! I forgot to add, I am changing my name on the passport to my married name. Do i include my original marriage certificate and fill out the form with my married name?

thanks so much!!!
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174166

This took abut 2 seconds on google...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

thanks ian, thanks jaj. Elvira, you dont have to be so rude. I was only looking for some help.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

thanks ian, thanks jaj. Elvira, you dont have to be so rude. I was only looking for some help.
And I gave it to you!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

and i appreciate it I just find this whole thing very confusing at times.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a search through the US forums, plenty of decent info on renewing a Brit passport.

Don't need a counter sig, but if you want, it can be any professional, doctor, teacher, manager etc.

Times, looking through posts on BE, depending, around 2-10 or so weeks.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Lynyvanily is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so glad I found this forum..... I am sending my existing passport off this week for renewal and name change... I was really worried that I did not know anyone to countersign that they knew me for 2 years (haven't been in Alaska that long!!!)... after reading all the posts and re-reading the UK gov website I found out I do not need to have it countersigned.... phew what a relief!!!! Thanks guys..
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

I've never understood why the DC renewal costs so much more than the expedited UK renewal (that take less than a week). Just ripping off expats?

Is there anything from stopping one renewing a UK passport in the UK on a trip to the UK (using family address for return)? Are expats required to go through the embassy of their country of residence?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Lynyvanily is an unknown quantity at this point

From reading the UK in USA gov website... they say you can renew whilst in the UK as long as you have an address where the passport can be sent and you can sign for it... The irony for me is I need the passport to get back to the UK and I will be visiting a city which has a passport office...Oh well next time I will have to time the trip better lol....:
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynyvanily
From reading the UK in USA gov website... they say you can renew whilst in the UK as long as you have an address where the passport can be sent and you can sign for it... The irony for me is I need the passport to get back to the UK and I will be visiting a city which has a passport office...Oh well next time I will have to time the trip better lol....:
if you've got a US passport, you could use that to travel on...out of date UK passport won't stop you from entering the UK, hassle getting on the plane though.

WF - have a search of the forum, it's been explained quite a few times about the cost, looking for posts from Dean "the consul"
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
Just ripping off expats?
On the contrary... you're paying for the convenience.

Ian