Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:10 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

It looks really pretty good.

Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

Originally Posted by Autonomy
It looks really pretty good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3m3I7iMnvw
Ordinarily I would not bother with crud made in Dubai (because it will never show what really goes on there) but it does have Alexandra Maria Lara in it so I feel obliged to see it now to keep my eyes happy

N.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

AzureArt is an unknown quantity at this point

It;s showing at DIFF. I'm going to see it Friday night, looking forward to something different to the usual hollywood stuff.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

looks a bit like a crash, with a dash of bollywood, a smidgen of bling and load of dubai added in... might have to go see this one
Old Dec 10th 2009, 1:44 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AzureArt
It;s showing at DIFF. I'm going to see it Friday night, looking forward to something different to the usual hollywood stuff.
let us know what it was like, love the trailer and will definately see it when it goes on general release
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: City Of Life - first Emirati full length feature film

Definitely worth seeing, I really enjoyed it. It was really well shot with a good soundtrack. Not sure how it would go down with people who hadn't lived in Dubai though. Only one of the actors slightly disappointed and the British guy was a bit stereotypical... but overall very good. It is showing again as part of DIFF on Sunday afternoon I think if you get a chance to go.

ETA
And i was actually quite surprised how much they got away with in the film in terms of things being real e.g. prostitution, drink, swearing etc. Not sure if a non-Emirati director would get away with it but at the same time surprised that an Emirati did!

Last edited by AzureArt; Dec 11th 2009 at 6:22 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:35 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely worth seeing, I really enjoyed it. It was really well shot with a good soundtrack. Not sure how it would go down with people who hadn't lived in Dubai though. Only one of the actors slightly disappointed and the British guy was a bit stereotypical... but overall very good. It is showing again as part of DIFF on Sunday afternoon I think if you get a chance to go.

ETA
And i was actually quite surprised how much they got away with in the film in terms of things being real e.g. prostitution, drink, swearing etc. Not sure if a non-Emirati director would get away with it but at the same time surprised that an Emirati did!
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I really loved it. I do think it stands up a very good movie, even if you don't look through the Dubai glasses.

Great emotion, very well shot, good effects. Definite Dubai "in jokes" that was cool. Ali the director did a good job at not pandering to the image of Dubai and telling a good story.

Totally recomend seeing this.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:43 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I really loved it. I do think it stands up a very good movie, even if you don't look through the Dubai glasses.

Great emotion, very well shot, good effects. Definite Dubai "in jokes" that was cool. Ali the director did a good job at not pandering to the image of Dubai and telling a good story.

Totally recomend seeing this.
I looked for this showing at IB Mall this morn then this evening in AD Marina Mall.S'pose it's still selective.
Would probably be at AD Cultural on 7th& 2nd except that's being revamped at the mo.
Hope it's mainstream soon.Sounds great and quixotic.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Was the world premiere last night at DIFF so not sure when it will go mainstream
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Was the world premiere last night at DIFF so not sure when it will go mainstream
by the summer according to their Twitter account
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
by the summer according to their Twitter account
Dying to see this.