Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Enter UK on expired British Passport?

Enter UK on expired British Passport?

Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:29 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Enter UK on expired British Passport?

OK, call me a cheap skate We have US passports as well as British ones that are about to expire. I've heard it costs a fortune now (and the wife and 2 kids will make > $1000 to get new ones).

I don't need a British passport to enter the UK but in a way, it also seems weird to enter on the US one. Will I get the questions - How long you here for? WHo are you seeing? Where are you staying? - LOL

My question is, do I even need to renew it, just to enter the UK. I'll leave on the USA one and wonder what the UK would do if I just showed them my UK one - expired. They probably wouldn't care, not entering the UK surely, since it'll prove I'm me, even in their computer, expired!

Thoughts?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:34 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enter UK on expired British Passport?

I don't know the answer sorry, but Hubby just flew to the UK last week and he said that at T5 in Heathrow it took him 15mins to get through passport control as they now closely look at everyone's passport.

I always thought you just walked through holding it up - but apparently not so much now!

As I said I don't know the answer but be prepared as they may look at your "expired" passport closer than before!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:46 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

I think I'm less worried about them looking, I am happy for them to use it to prove it's me. Just not happy about having to pay the whacky fees in the USA to renew.

Having said that, found it's 77 quid if we do it in the UK, for 10 years, which ain't as bad as the $300+ or so in the USA... Can have them sent to my sisters house and she can send to me!

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I don't know the answer sorry, but Hubby just flew to the UK last week and he said that at T5 in Heathrow it took him 15mins to get through passport control as they now closely look at everyone's passport.

I always thought you just walked through holding it up - but apparently not so much now!

As I said I don't know the answer but be prepared as they may look at your "expired" passport closer than before!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:13 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

why don't you just enter on your US Passport
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

jamestravis is an unknown quantity at this point

$718 precisely so long as all the applications are right first time. That is assuming the children are under 16
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
OK, call me a cheap skate We have US passports as well as British ones that are about to expire. I've heard it costs a fortune now (and the wife and 2 kids will make > $1000 to get new ones).

I don't need a British passport to enter the UK but in a way, it also seems weird to enter on the US one. Will I get the questions - How long you here for? WHo are you seeing? Where are you staying? - LOL

My question is, do I even need to renew it, just to enter the UK. I'll leave on the USA one and wonder what the UK would do if I just showed them my UK one - expired. They probably wouldn't care, not entering the UK surely, since it'll prove I'm me, even in their computer, expired!

Thoughts?

You can enter and leave the UK as a visitor using your US PP...my husband always does. I have only used my US PP to enter the UK once...I didn't like being asked the reason for my visit and how long I was staying. I wanted to shout 'because it's home....yay!!'.

This is what Dean. the British Consul had to say about using an expired UK PP.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=64
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't going to be denied entrance to the UK with an expired passport, might get some lip about it though.

Just use your US passport, it's valid for a holiday and then renew your UK passport while your visiting.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me you are serious, because mine expired in September but I do not have a US passport, will it work for me?

Originally Posted by Bob
You aren't going to be denied entrance to the UK with an expired passport, might get some lip about it though.

Just use your US passport, it's valid for a holiday and then renew your UK passport while your visiting.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s

Thoughts?
We left the US on US passports and entered on UK ones, but 1 of my kids passports had expired. We took his UK Embassy registration of birth document just in case. The immigration officer said "you do realise this passport is expired?", I replied with "yes, I know. I will renew it here as it is cheaper". He said "OK", and waved us through.

Board the plane on the US passport, give the UK officer the UK passport. You will be fine!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend do this and it was no problem at all.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:05 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Please tell me you are serious, because mine expired in September but I do not have a US passport, will it work for me?
Your situation is different - you haven't got an unexpired US passport to use to get on the plane. You should renew your UK passport. The US airport is not likely to let you board without it.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
We left the US on US passports and entered on UK ones, but 1 of my kids passports had expired. We took his UK Embassy registration of birth document just in case. The immigration officer said "you do realise this passport is expired?", I replied with "yes, I know. I will renew it here as it is cheaper". He said "OK", and waved us through.

Board the plane on the US passport, give the UK officer the UK passport. You will be fine!
There has been a recent change that might throw this into a bit of a mess. I don't know if it is in effect yet but you might want to read this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...tionality.html

New border controls could penalise Britons with dual nationality
"Tens of thousands of Britons with dual nationality risk being stranded abroad when the Government introduces computerised border controls."
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There has been a recent change that might throw this into a bit of a mess. I don't know if it is in effect yet but you might want to read this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...tionality.html

New border controls could penalise Britons with dual nationality
"Tens of thousands of Britons with dual nationality risk being stranded abroad when the Government introduces computerised border controls."
We debated this article and even had Dean weigh in. He said in a nutshell, if you are British and hold a UK passport you will NEVER be denied entry to the UK, that would be illegal.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
We debated this article and even had Dean weigh in. He said in a nutshell, if you are British and hold a UK passport you will NEVER be denied entry to the UK, that would be illegal.
I posted the link to Dean's post in post #6. If anyone is interested in reading the whole thread...click on the thread title in the upper right hand corner of Dean's post.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I posted the link to Dean's post in post #6. If anyone is interested in reading the whole thread...click on the thread title in the upper right hand corner of Dean's post.
Is the underlying 'e-borders' system in place yet / operational? Wonder if people have had any firsthand experience traveling on two passports yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.