Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Return to UK will I be arressted

Return to UK will I be arressted

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:37 am
Just Joined

hath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Return to UK will I be arressted

OK I know im going to get some flack from this one, I have read through previous posts but......

Im returning for a holiday in the UK to see family, has been 3 years since leaving. I left some debts behind in the UK, a loan and credit card debts, I tried to set up payments when I left, but they wouldnt deal with me, noone on the phone would speak to me and wouldnt accept my identification. So after months of calls, emails, getting family to call, they still wouldnt let me access my account so I gave up, there was a few grand in the account and guessed they would just claim that for the debt.

My question is, will i have any problems at the border, will I be arressted? Is there any risks in returning? Im a bit worried (paranoid) that my passport will set of alarms and i will be knicked at border control.

anyone got any info would be great.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to UK will I be arressted

Originally Posted by hath
OK I know im going to get some flack from this one, I have read through previous posts but......

Im returning for a holiday in the UK to see family, has been 3 years since leaving. I left some debts behind in the UK, a loan and credit card debts, I tried to set up payments when I left, but they wouldnt deal with me, noone on the phone would speak to me and wouldnt accept my identification. So after months of calls, emails, getting family to call, they still wouldnt let me access my account so I gave up, there was a few grand in the account and guessed they would just claim that for the debt.

My question is, will i have any problems at the border, will I be arressted? Is there any risks in returning? Im a bit worried (paranoid) that my passport will set of alarms and i will be knicked at border control.

You will not be arrested.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:15 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

A piss take surely?

Being in debt doesn't make you a criminal, therefore no arrest.

Unless you plan applying for credit whilst in the UK you're home and dry.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by perksy
A piss take surely?

Being in debt doesn't make you a criminal, therefore no arrest.

Unless you plan applying for credit whilst in the UK you're home and dry.
not a piss take, more like paranoia, am new and naive to debt and credit. Yeah its my fault but the bank made it so difficult to try to arrange payments, even when I said it doesnt matter if i dont take money out, just put in. Think it was because i failed my phone security questions, they said I needed to go into the bank in person.

cheers for the responses
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

not a piss take, more like paranoia, am new and naive to debt and credit. Yeah its my fault but the bank made it so difficult to try to arrange payments, even when I said it doesnt matter if i dont take money out, just put in. Think it was because i failed my phone security questions, they said I needed to go into the bank in person.

cheers for the responses
you will be fine
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

You'll definitely get strip-searched though, cause you'll be looking REALLY guilty
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Crow
You'll definitely get strip-searched though, cause you'll be looking REALLY guilty
hehe might just enjoy that one, might get the internal done for good measure
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely nothing will happen, they are consumer debts and probably after this amount of time they will be written off and sold on to 3rd party debt companies. They have no access to immigration records and the debts will probably by on hold until you do something like apply for credit and alert them to your presence.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sr71
Absolutely nothing will happen, they are consumer debts and probably after this amount of time they will be written off and sold on to 3rd party debt companies. They have no access to immigration records and the debts will probably by on hold until you do something like apply for credit and alert them to your presence.
does that mean I shouldnt apply for credit here in Australia??

or do you mean back in the UK?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

I very recently have been sent letters from a debt collection agency to my parents address in the UK.
Don't owe any money, but they have accessed my credit file and found an old entry on there that should have been removed when I paid a loan off early to a bank, they have took it upon themselves to start to pursue me for the money, they have even phoned my parents house and hassled them!
The correspondence they have sent is in my maiden name at an address I have not lived at for over 13 years and the debt they claim I owed is over 7 years ago.
After many calls to the bank and the debt collection agency, the bank have apologised and sent me a letter to confirm I owe them nothing, still leaves me furious that they can do this, the bank have said they will pay for any out of pocket expenses; phone calls etc if the entry is still on there as they should have asked for it to be removed and that I need to send the letter to the credit file company for them to take the entry off their records.
So the moral, even if you owe nothing there is still a chance that things can catch up with you in the strangest of ways - depends on who is dealing with it I suppose. I did a search on the credit company harrasing me and seems they are very well known for harrassment and gaining details from credit reference sites - don't know how but they do.
The bank advised me to ignore them and just keep a copy of their letter, but with them phoning my parents I had to sort it.
Maybe send a letter advising them that you have tried to sort it but what do they advise you do in the circumstances, send it recorded and keep a copy - it is in their hands then.
Good luck.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 3:44 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch
I very recently have been sent letters from a debt collection agency to my parents address in the UK.
Don't owe any money, but they have accessed my credit file and found an old entry on there that should have been removed when I paid a loan off early to a bank, they have took it upon themselves to start to pursue me for the money, they have even phoned my parents house and hassled them!
The correspondence they have sent is in my maiden name at an address I have not lived at for over 13 years and the debt they claim I owed is over 7 years ago.
After many calls to the bank and the debt collection agency, the bank have apologised and sent me a letter to confirm I owe them nothing, still leaves me furious that they can do this, the bank have said they will pay for any out of pocket expenses; phone calls etc if the entry is still on there as they should have asked for it to be removed and that I need to send the letter to the credit file company for them to take the entry off their records.
So the moral, even if you owe nothing there is still a chance that things can catch up with you in the strangest of ways - depends on who is dealing with it I suppose. I did a search on the credit company harrasing me and seems they are very well known for harrassment and gaining details from credit reference sites - don't know how but they do.
The bank advised me to ignore them and just keep a copy of their letter, but with them phoning my parents I had to sort it.
Maybe send a letter advising them that you have tried to sort it but what do they advise you do in the circumstances, send it recorded and keep a copy - it is in their hands then.
Good luck.
DCA's prey on debtors who don't know the law. Were the initials of your DCA "MH" by any chance? They are renowned for this sought of thing. If you are chased for a debt thats over 6 years since the last acknowledgement then send them this template. DO NOT speak to any DCA on the phone, and keep copies of all written correspondence. Its also important NOT to sign any letters you send them. Its been known for a DCA to photoshop your signature onto fresh credit agreements

Your Name:
Your Address:
Date

To: Creditor

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 "an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

The last correspondence/payment/acknowledgement or payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I/we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statue barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".

I/we await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Print Name (DO NOT SIGN)

........................................ ............................................

REMEMBER
KEEP A COPY OF ALL LETTERS YOU SEND TO YOUR CREDITORS
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

does that mean I shouldnt apply for credit here in Australia??

or do you mean back in the UK?
Definitely in the UK, I'm sure many have access to credit reference places here too but they can't legally enforce UK consumer debts here anyway.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Were you ever p'chance in a house belonging to one Jack Nicholson in the late 70s?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:12 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you don't look like Osama Bin Laden I don't think they will give two hoots.

I left some debt when I left the UK 6 years ago and went back for the first time last year. No problems at all. Although I did have to enter the country in the back of a truck with some Albanians
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Were you ever p'chance in a house belonging to one Jack Nicholson in the late 70s?
well ok yeah i was there too, she said she was over 18 honest.

it was pretty bad what happened and it sucks that you can get away with such an evil crime just cos your famous and a good director. He sodomised a 13 yr old girl (according to wiki) against her will, he will have to get a longish jail sentence for this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.