Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Marine Insurance Additional Premiums - Beware!

Marine Insurance Additional Premiums - Beware!

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marine Insurance Additional Premiums - Beware!

Due to CIC's failure to process my SW PR visa in the 6 months originally indicated, I have had to leave my house contents in storage longer than I would have liked. I thought I'd agreed a (reasonable) £30 storage charge per month after the initial free 30 days storage when I signed the shipping contract.

Imagine my joy to receive an invoice yesterday from the shipping company asking for £63 additional marine insurance premium per month from now on (on top of the full marine insurance premium I have already paid), this being in addition to the £30 per month storage charge. They didn't tell me when I took out the insurance that additional premiums are payable if the goods are not shipped within 60 days (it's in the small print of the insurance application form )

Upshot is that I'm faced with paying £93 a month for the next several months until CIC get their act together, simply for the pleasure of my house contents being locked in some draughty warehouse in Manchester. So I will end up paying several times my original marine insurance premium by the time the goods actually get shipped :curse: Nice little earner for the shipping/insurance company.

Anyone else fallen into this little trap?

Last edited by spooooook; Oct 2nd 2009 at 8:43 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marine Insurance Additional Premiums - Beware!

well in a way its good to know that someone in your profession gets stung by small print too. (thats a joke btw!!!!!)

Not ideal but its just another hurdle that crops up in the grand scheme of immigrating - chin up and you'll be here before you know it (and when you are we'll have another get together again!)