Giving birth in USA or UK

Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough
Default Giving birth in USA or UK

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to ask for some advice. I recently found i'm going to be a mom for the first time & due to slightly healthier ovaries than I expected to have at the 35 year mark, I did not get health insurance in time. Having researched my options, we are basically looking at a $16,000 plus maternity bill here, all going according to plan or flying home to face the dreaded NHS (I could of course fly to Australia because I also have residency there but i'm trying not to confuse matters any more!). Is there anyone on here that has been faced with this decision or has experience in this matter? I realise the baby would have US citizenship if born here, but as my partner & I will be getting married soon anyway, I guess it will be able to apply for US citizenship even if born in the UK anyway? Also, does anyone have any experience of coming back in with baby from the UK & the paperwork involved(I have my green card or will have in the next few months)?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by georgiagal; Sep 30th 2009 at 2:45 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving birth in USA or UK

Originally Posted by georgiagal
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to ask for some advice. I recently found i'm going to be a mom for the first time & due to slightly healthier ovaries than I expected to have at the 35 year mark, I did not get health insurance in time. Having researched my options, we are basically looking at a $16,000 plus maternity bill here, all going according to plan or flying home to face the dreaded NHS (I could of course fly to Australia because I also have residency there but i'm trying not to confuse matters any more!). Is there anyone on here that has been faced with this decision or has experience in this matter? I realise the baby would have US citizenship if born here, but as my partner & I will be getting married soon anyway, I guess it will be able to apply for US citizenship even if born in the UK anyway? Also, does anyone have any experience of coming back in with baby from the UK & the paperwork involved(I have my green card)?

Thanks in advance
How can you have your baby courtesy of the NHS when you are not a resident of the UK?

Edit: If you're a Brit and your soon to be husband is a USC the baby will have dual nationality...it doesn't matter where it's born. Although if it is born in the US it will be a British citizen by descent.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 30th 2009 at 2:37 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

Because I am a UK citizen that has paid taxes & NI up until the last 3 years
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Try to get insurance. A pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition under the law so they cannot deny you for that.

If you just have a green card and have a baby overseas, then I think you'd have quite a bit of paperwork I would imagine. I don't know if there is an exception for newborns or whether it would be treated as a dependent child (and go into the months long process for that).
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Because I am a UK citizen that has paid taxes & NI up until the last 3 years
Makes no difference...you cannot use the NHS for that purpose unless you are a UK resident.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Try to get insurance. A pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition under the law so they cannot deny you for that.

If you just have a green card and have a baby overseas, then I think you'd have quite a bit of paperwork I would imagine. I don't know if there is an exception for newborns or whether it would be treated as a dependent child (and go into the months long process for that).
There was a thread or posts about that very subject a week or so ago...I think it was in the MBTTUK forum. The poster was told the baby would have to have a US PP to enter the US.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Makes no difference...you cannot use the NHS for that purpose unless you are a UK resident.
Technically until my actual I 485 (I140 is approved) comes through I am still a UK resident, which judging by the speed at which the USCIS moves that may not be before baby is due.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There was a thread or posts about that very subject a week or so ago...I think it was in the MBTTUK forum. The poster was told the baby would have to have a US PP to enter the US.
OK will have a look, been a while since i've been on here!
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Technically until my actual I 485 (I140 is approved) comes through I am still a UK resident, which judging by the speed at which the USCIS moves that may not be before baby is due.
Do not confuse residency meaning 'where you are living' with residency for immigration purposes.

As far as the "dreaded" NHS is concerned, you are not resident in the UK and thus not entitled to NHS care unless you return to live there permanently and pass the Habitual Residency Test, or if an emergency were to befall you on a visit there.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

A pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition under the law so they cannot deny you for that.

On individual insurance policies, pregancy is denied as a pre-existing condition.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

A pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition under the law so they cannot deny you for that.

On individual insurance policies, pregancy is denied as a pre-existing condition.
Which state are you in? When did you arrive in the US?

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Sep 30th 2009 at 2:51 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Might be nice if we could pop back and forth to take advantage of both Countries 'better' options...but not very realistic I'm afraid
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Which state are you in? When did you arrive in the US?
In Georgia, last date of entry feb 2008.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Might be nice if we could pop back and forth to take advantage of both Countries 'better' options...but not very realistic I'm afraid

Believe me the last thing I want to do is fly back to the UK to have this baby but when faced with the potential of 10's-100,000's USD worth of medical bills if anything goes wrong, not to mention the emotional upheaval you cannot blame someone for toying with the idea!! I paid my taxes fair and square whilst I was there and have no chance of getting any benefit from it in the future so why the heck not!

Last edited by georgiagal; Sep 30th 2009 at 2:59 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me the last thing I want to do is fly back to the UK to have this baby but when faced with the potential of 10's-100,000's USD worth of medical bills if anything goes wrong, you cannot blame someone for toying with the idea!!

Nope, not in the least, I don't blame anyone for trying...Good luck, Congrats on the baby news too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.