Help needed with info on Boston

Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed with info on Boston

Does anyone live there? I'm writing about Boston and I really need some background.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed with info on Boston

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie
Does anyone live there? I'm writing about Boston and I really need some background.
Have you had your request OK'd by Admin? Please hit the 'contact us' tab at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 17th 2009 at 10:15 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Writing about what?

And about the city itself or surrounding area?

Plenty of people live in the burbs...less so living in the city itself, unless they're loaded/mental
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Very basic background for a novel.

Where would you live if you were a young, wealthy couple with children. I'm looking for an affluent, maybe slightly pretentious neighbourhood. The kind of place where the houses are big, brick monsters with three car garages and people drive Lexus SUV's.

Also, what are the areas that people are leaving. Mixed areas, not really rough though.

I need some direction, really.

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Beacon Hill where all the pretentious *****s live in Boston?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
that would be most of downtown

But for that kind of housing, you'd not be living in Boston but the burbs, brownstones are nice and all, but it'd be on street parking...

Living posh, in a flat, cambridge st, beacon st, storrow dr...places over looking the charles river.

Kendall Square is nice, MIT area...

Going a bit out and not technically Boston, Somerville and Cambridge (especially the central square and around Harvard area). Brookline also, but mostly flats, housing not really affordable.

Areas that are a bit iffy and mixed, Jamaica Plains on the button, JP has fantastic rich side, a shitend ghetto with a awesome Portugese area and a huge gay community...very cool place actually and quite transcient.

Lawrence is another area, not really rough, but it is a shit hole, but it's outside of Boston.

Dorchester, Rochester, Roxbury....all shit and roughish at night but okay during the day, kind of.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 12:43 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie
Where would you live if you were a young, wealthy couple with children. I'm looking for an affluent, maybe slightly pretentious neighbourhood. The kind of place where the houses are big, brick monsters with three car garages and people drive Lexus SUV's.
Boston isn't really that type a city. At least, it's less that type a city than most any other American city. It's a relatively old city and if anywhere has an "old money / blueblood" type aristocracy in the US, it's probably Boston. Endless fields of hulking, characterless McMansions are comparatively rare outside of Boston, at least compared to, for example, Dallas.

Having said that, I'd suggest Wellesley, Newton or Weston. Newton is slightly more new money than the other two.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

That is so helpful! Thank you!!!
Old Sep 18th 2009, 5:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Boston Brahmins
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Having said that, I'd suggest Wellesley, Newton or Weston. Newton is slightly more new money than the other two.
If we're going that far out in the burbs...Wellesley would be the best pick for the houses, Wellesley Hills especially....and the girls college is pretty posh and nice too, if you've seen Mona Lisa Smile, the Julia Roberts flick, that's based out of the girls college and the area, so worth a watch to give you an idea, even if it was set in the 50's, you get the snobbery idea all the same

Newton, less so, more apartmenty at the moment as the houses have gotten split up, Newtonville next door is worth a punt.

Can't say I know Weston, but it is one of the 3 W's of expensive living, Wayland would be the third, and if you go up the hill from the centre area, there are some large places out there too.

While we're this far out....Framingham, especially the southern park would be a bit of a shitter and shady, not exactly a bad area but rather pants compared to northern Framingham for example.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great info!!! I've been looking at these places. I didn't know they made houses that big.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:21 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

> Dorchester, Rochester, Roxbury....all shit and roughish at night but okay during the day, kind of.

Some one was shot there (Dorchester) last night :-)
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by starky
> Dorchester, Rochester, Roxbury....all shit and roughish at night but okay during the day, kind of.

haha

someone was shot in the park the next town over from me a few weeks back too and we're well out in the burbs
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:29 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
haha

someone was shot in the park the next town over from me a few weeks back too and we're well out in the burbs
I suppose, there could be a shooting anywhere in today's world. :-(
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:33 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky

It certainly does and has had a rough rep for years...........

I remember years ago the term Combat Zone being applied to certain areas.........