Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work in Boxborough MA; where to live?

Work in Boxborough MA; where to live?

Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work in Boxborough MA; where to live?

Hi folks,
BTW, we prefer a townhouse if we can afford it

Cheers,
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in Boxborough MA; where to live?

Meh...that's about a half hour west of me.

Depending on your budget, your better off going west of I-495 where you get more for your money.

Maynard ain't far from there, bit of a meh town, plenty of bored cops, lots of pubs, very cheap, half decent job of clearing the roads on the main road at least.

Acton is supposed to be nice.

Concord is pretty nice and Rt 2 ain't to bad.

Marlborough is a short whizz up I-495, get a lot for your money there...I think it's a bit meh, but it's a good sized town and there's a Ocean States job lot for Brit food.

North Framingham ain't bad, it's an okay commute, Framingham the main town is a shitter though.

If you've got kids, Sudbury is good.

Westborough down I-495 is supposed to be one of the nicest towns to live in in the state.

Anyway, depends on if you have kids, what your budget is, if you want greenery and all that rubbish. Worcester would be the big city in the area, but it also happens to be a crap hole with a few decent ventures for the odd night out.

Probably more nicer places going out west but I don't know that area very well. Also depends on how close you want to be to Boston if that's a concern, Worcester would be the end of the commuter rail if that were a concern.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Meh...that's about a half hour west of me.

Depending on your budget, your better off going west of I-495 where you get more for your money.

Maynard ain't far from there, bit of a meh town, plenty of bored cops, lots of pubs, very cheap, half decent job of clearing the roads on the main road at least.

Acton is supposed to be nice.

Concord is pretty nice and Rt 2 ain't to bad.

Marlborough is a short whizz up I-495, get a lot for your money there...I think it's a bit meh, but it's a good sized town and there's a Ocean States job lot for Brit food.

North Framingham ain't bad, it's an okay commute, Framingham the main town is a shitter though.

If you've got kids, Sudbury is good.

Westborough down I-495 is supposed to be one of the nicest towns to live in in the state.

Anyway, depends on if you have kids, what your budget is, if you want greenery and all that rubbish. Worcester would be the big city in the area, but it also happens to be a crap hole with a few decent ventures for the odd night out.

Probably more nicer places going out west but I don't know that area very well. Also depends on how close you want to be to Boston if that's a concern, Worcester would be the end of the commuter rail if that were a concern.
A lot of my workmates live in the area ..... Concord and Sudbury are (according to them) very expensive, but nice
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
A lot of my workmates live in the area ..... Concord and Sudbury are (according to them) very expensive, but nice
They are very nice areas, good schools in Sudbury too.

Not that expensive compared to the 3 W's though...well it is expensive, but then so is everything vaguely nice on the east side of I-495, especially if you want something more than a studio apartment type of deal.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Hi - I'd definitely consider Acton - lots of townhouses there You might look at Westford too - I've known people who love living there - it has a ski area, albeit a small one, lakes, etc and a nice community. Good luck - when do you plan to move?
Jan