Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

If we head back to the UK next year my daughter will have missed a huge chunk of YR 1 in the UK. I was thinking of using a private tutor to help her out so that her basic academic skills would be ok and she wouldn't be so out of touch with the UK system.

Does anyone have any views on the move back as well or any ideas where I would find a tutor for this age from. We are based in Rockingham / Mandurah area Western Australia.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Tutor to get kids ready for moving back.

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
If we head back to the UK next year my daughter will have missed a huge chunk of YR 1 in the UK. I was thinking of using a private tutor to help her out so that her basic academic skills would be ok and she wouldn't be so out of touch with the UK system.

Does anyone have any views on the move back as well or any ideas where I would find a tutor for this age from. We are based in Rockingham / Mandurah area Western Australia.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Our sons are older but I do know a few people who have gone back over the years with younger children and although they all mostly said their children where behind they soon caught up. When we were leaving for Aus 12 years ago two young sisters joined our sons primary school, small world they came from Thornley a suburb near to where we eventually settled...anyway their mother did say she worried before coming back to the U.K about her daughters being a little behind...they were but eventually they did catch up and really enjoyed making new friends etc.....I must admit the Primary School our sons attended in the U.K was very good....If you are not to sure if you are moving back home I would wait until I was sure we were doing so...then look at the area you are hoping to return to....look at the schools...phone them etc...I have found them to be really helpful in the past and if you still feel you need a tutor then either ask the school your child attends here and they might have some contacts etc or ask friends..I know a few friends where I live here who had private tutors (mainly to help with tee's) but also Primary School's level as well....I know friends prefered to use tutors rather than these Private Tutor's classes you see advertised.....good luck
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

If we head back to the UK next year my daughter will have missed a huge chunk of YR 1 in the UK. I was thinking of using a private tutor to help her out so that her basic academic skills
When I clicked on this thread, I thought your kids were GCSE age or A-level age. But YR 1?????

Please relax! If you want your child to settle back into school in the UK - the best thing you can have is a relaxed attitude. Don't try and see problems where there aren't any ...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back from Canada last year and my little boy had to go straight into P2 (if he'd stayed in Canada he would have been starting Grade 1)and it wasn't a problem. I really think there isn't any need for a private tutor at this age
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Ou son missed the whole of year 1 (due to different starting ages - he was in reception in Oz) when we moved back from Oz with NO effect whatsoever.

Also this/last year we moved to Oz at the beginning of Nov & moved back at the end of Jan - so no school for 3 mths (boys are 10 & 7 ). At parents evening the teacher commented that they were doing so well that perhaps we should have an extended hol every year. All in all they are well travelled and confident and love talking about surfing in Oz - I wouldn't change a thing ! (except the money spent perhaps ! )
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies. Ok so my mind has been put at rest after posting this in both places. As you can tell this is our first of three kids going through the education systems!!!!

My main concern was that if she stepped in later into year 1 she would have missed all the relevant material that would be the basis of the current learning and she'd be sitting there feeling lost but from what everyone is saying that won't be the case.

All the friends I have that had kids attending school in the UK before the move here tell me that the their kids were doing much harder work than what they were doing in the Australian schools. It's definitely good to hear first hand experiences of switching schools and it being positive. I know we may move a few times during the primary school ages so I'd better take that chill pill now and have a bit more confidence in my kids and the parenting we've done thus far!!!

Thanks for the replies.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:44 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. Ok so my mind has been put at rest after posting this in both places. As you can tell this is our first of three kids going through the education systems!!!!

My main concern was that if she stepped in later into year 1 she would have missed all the relevant material that would be the basis of the current learning and she'd be sitting there feeling lost but from what everyone is saying that won't be the case.

All the friends I have that had kids attending school in the UK before the move here tell me that the their kids were doing much harder work than what they were doing in the Australian schools. It's definitely good to hear first hand experiences of switching schools and it being positive. I know we may move a few times during the primary school ages so I'd better take that chill pill now and have a bit more confidence in my kids and the parenting we've done thus far!!!

Thanks for the replies.
Depends on individual schools

We just had an arrival from private UK school who needs extra tutoring here to get up to speed. She is Year 5 but may be kept back a year. Another family spend 6 months in UK (summer) and 6 months (Oz), they are enroled in 2 private schools in each country and the girl finds it a holiday going back to the UK.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Depends on individual schools

We just had an arrival from private UK school who needs extra tutoring here to get up to speed. She is Year 5 but may be kept back a year. Another family spend 6 months in UK (summer) and 6 months (Oz), they are enroled in 2 private schools in each country and the girl finds it a holiday going back to the UK.
Well that's a first for me to hear (but there is always a first time)......some friends of ours went back a few years ago to live...and the teacher did not ask which country they had lived but wanted to know what Planet they'd come from...lol....her daughter could name all sorts of Australian plants and forna etc but could not do long division/times in maths.........
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:59 am
Just Joined

anonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the rough

First for me too! I really shouldn't worry about your daughter she will be fine being so young.

I am concerned about my kids however, being older and the standard of education over here does not match up to the UK in my opinion. Not a problem if you stay but a big one if we do decide to return.

We have four kids, the eldest now at a private secondary and the other three at the local state primary. Even if you are prepared to pay to get your kids an education, you can't get them in or have to convert to Catholicism in order to do so which is out of the question!

We are south of Perth.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:14 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by anonomoz
First for me too! I really shouldn't worry about your daughter she will be fine being so young.

I am concerned about my kids however, being older and the standard of education over here does not match up to the UK in my opinion. Not a problem if you stay but a big one if we do decide to return.

We have four kids, the eldest now at a private secondary and the other three at the local state primary. Even if you are prepared to pay to get your kids an education, you can't get them in or have to convert to Catholicism in order to do so which is out of the question!

We are south of Perth.
You might want to hold off your conversion - or try a different faith! We had ours in a Catholic school in Mandurah and it was probably the worst decision we've ever made (have moved them now!)
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anonomoz

We are south of Perth.
We have had friends who have had their children in all kinds of private school...and for the most seemed to pay a lot of money for the same results (sometimes even worse ones) than mine and my friends children who were in Public schools....oh except one who went to John 23...not a catholic and just went there to get through tee's in year 11 & 12....they only just scrapped through and that was with a private tutor as well....but my friend insisted he did better than he would of done at the public school he was attending......some ways he did and others he certainly did not.....we are also South of the River our two sons just wanted to go to the local newly built High School so they could get to know more people in the area......did not really work out that way but at least they did well at school...one is now in Year 11....the oldest finished year 12 at the end of last year.