Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

car insurance question

car insurance question

Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice
Default car insurance question

Hi

can anyone tell us how insurance premuims are worked out in Oz?
can you take your NO Claims years across/ do they ask for some proof of driving record?
someone on another thread said they paid $560 a year, thats pretty good for fully comp compared to here. ( ireland)

thanks
Mrs ozbaz
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: car insurance question

Where you live has a major impact on premiums. I have tested this by getting two identical quotes but different suburbs. Something like a 40% difference.

We got a letter from our UK insurer before we left confirming level of NCB. This was accepted by Australian insurer.

We pay RACV $850.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi i am in QLD and pay approx $580 yr for fully comp insurance. Dont forget to add your rego on top which is also around the same cost.
The company we used carried over our no claims bonus on our say so, they did ask which UK company we used so if they checked up direct with them, i dont know.
Hope this helps
Calx
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in WA and our fully comp is $390 (annual premium). In the first year we were with HBF and they accepted our say-so for the NCB. When we switched to BudgetLine last year, they wanted proof. We'd got a letter from the UK insurer (Direct Line) before we came out; therefore no problem supplying "proof".

Rego was $393 last year (varies from state to state).
Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:29 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Been with RACQ (Royal Automobile Club of Qld) Insurance - vehicle and home contents (and RACQ roadside assist) for years. Never had any problems with them - always fast and courteous service.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Insurance on my Golf GTI fully comp is $380-ish a year and on my husband's Skoda VRS $410-ish a year.

I use Bingle and he uses AAMI.

We told them both our previous insurers were overseas. We were never asked about our level of no-claims.