Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hi.Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for a Dubai stopover please?

Hi.Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for a Dubai stopover please?

Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Hi.Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for a Dubai stopover please?

My husband is going back to the UK, from New Zealand , to visit his old 81 yr old Mum at the end of this month. It's a bit of a sudden decision really and he will be going alone. I did my emergency trip back at the beginning of this year.

He has always wanted to fly via Dubai but I usually vetoed this for Singapore. This time , as he needs to fly into Birmingham anyway, I've booked him onto Emirates and he'll fly via Dubai.

Unbeknown to him yet & as a bit of a surprise , I've also factored in a stopover on the way back. I know, I know, treat a husband mean and keep 'em keen but it's his 50th coming up and it isn't going to be an easy ride back in the UK.

He gets into Dubai at a quarter past midnight on the 15th Sept and will fly out to head home on the 18th.

Can anyone kindly recommend a reasonable hotel please? I know nothing at all about Dubai.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi.Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for a Dubai stopover please?

Originally Posted by BEVS
My husband is going back to the UK, from New Zealand , to visit his old 81 yr old Mum at the end of this month. It's a bit of a sudden decision really and he will be going alone. I did my emergency trip back at the beginning of this year.

He has always wanted to fly via Dubai but I usually vetoed this for Singapore. This time , as he needs to fly into Birmingham anyway, I've booked him onto Emirates and he'll fly via Dubai.

Unbeknown to him yet & as a bit of a surprise , I've also factored in a stopover on the way back. I know, I know, treat a husband mean and keep 'em keen but it's his 50th coming up and it isn't going to be an easy ride back in the UK.

He gets into Dubai at a quarter past midnight on the 15th Sept and will fly out to head home on the 18th.

Can anyone kindly recommend a reasonable hotel please? I know nothing at all about Dubai.

Thanks in advance.
A man on a three-day stopover in Dubai without his wife?

It might be easier to supply you with a list of hotels to avoid .............
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice
Default Re: Hi.Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for a Dubai stopover please?

Check out the Al Manzil hotel in the Downtown Burj Dubai area. They have great rates at the moment, around 395 AED per night. It is walking distance to the Dubai Mall, the Burj Dubai, the dancing fountain etc, and a very central location.
Other good options are on the Jumeira Beach area but they are all probably a lot more expensive
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrskpd
Check out the Al Manzil hotel in the Downtown Burj Dubai area. They have great rates at the moment, around 395 AED per night. It is walking distance to the Dubai Mall, the Burj Dubai, the dancing fountain etc, and a very central location.
Other good options are on the Jumeira Beach area but they are all probably a lot more expensive
wow, that's an amazing rate for that hotel...

there are also a few holiday inn express hotels now, which are cheap, so may be worth checking out...

MM, xx

Last edited by Madam Medusa; Aug 7th 2009 at 8:03 am.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
what sort of price were you thinking?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend either of the Ibis Hotels near City Centre, Deira or The Trade Centre, Bur Dubai. Both pretty central and offering a room at something like 295 Dhm/night (Divide by about 6.2 to get pounds or 3.685 for US Dollars!) Not flash I guess but a good bed for the night!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:10 am
`

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what sort of price were you thinking?
TBH Blue Cat, I have absolutely no idea. Nuthin' flash. As perhaps as Jim Smith suggested ' A good bed for the night' and a good kick off point to see summat of the place in a very short space of time. If I know husband, he would like a high rise view but he aint getting that if it is at a premium $$ . Mind you , wee once did the YMCA in Hong Kong and that was absolutley superb .

I have a 50th biffday to sort for when he gets back and that includes chucking him out on a sky dive.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. It's what makes BE so flipping well brilliant IMVHO.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Dean
A man on a three-day stopover in Dubai without his wife?

It might be easier to supply you with a list of hotels to avoid .............

Ramada Bur Dubai - central for all the sights in the Golden Triangle - he will have a great time - lucky guy...
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:23 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

TBH Blue Cat, I have absolutely no idea. Nuthin' flash. As perhaps as Jim Smith suggested ' A good bed for the night' and a good kick off point to see summat of the place in a very short space of time. If I know husband, he would like a high rise view but he aint getting that if it is at a premium $$ . Mind you , wee once did the YMCA in Hong Kong and that was absolutley superb .

I have a 50th biffday to sort for when he gets back and that includes chucking him out on a sky dive.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. It's what makes BE so flipping well brilliant IMVHO.
www.arabianparkhoteldubai.com - small, friendly and reasonably priced. Very handy for Wafi where he can pick up the Big Bus tour etc. its about 15 mins from the airport.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice

www.arabianparkhoteldubai.com - small, friendly and reasonably priced. Very handy for Wafi where he can pick up the Big Bus tour etc. its about 15 mins from the airport.
And as someone who has recently done the Big Bus Tour, I can say it is well worth it... Seeing as he is going to be there for 3 days, I'd suggest be spend the AED280 and get a two day pass (it's AED220 for a 1 day). Then he go through Old Dubai (the red route) on day 1, and then the blue route on day 2.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree about Arabian Park........... they were quoting silly prices a few weeks ago. Obviously no economic slowdown there........

Agree with the Ibis Deira City Centre suggestion - I'm already booked in there (avec mes amis) for the Dubai 7s at mucho cheapo costo............
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:12 am
`

Thanks everyone. I settled on the Arabian Courtyard in the end .

Is it possible to go up the Burj Skyscraper to a viewing platform please and is it possible to actually go into the Burj Al Arab hotel as a visitor. If yes, is there a dress code for either of these places? I somehow doubt that the typical New Zealand shorts , jandals and t shirts would be OK.

Any other buildings where he could get a high rise view.

cheers beers
BEVS
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I settled on the Arabian Courtyard in the end .

Is it possible to go up the Burj Skyscraper to a viewing platform please and is it possible to actually go into the Burj Al Arab hotel as a visitor. If yes, is there a dress code for either of these places? I somehow doubt that the typical New Zealand shorts , jandals and t shirts would be OK.

Any other buildings where he could get a high rise view.

cheers beers
BEVS
no, the burj tower isn't even finished yet...and to go into the burj al arab you need to have a reservation for afternoon tea, a meal or drinks (there's a minumum spend)...you need to book a little in advance as it does get full...

you could go to the vu bar in emirates towers, bar 44 at the grosvenor or the observatory bar for views...dress code for each is smart casual (no shorts or sandals/flipflops for men)...

if you've got the money, there is an amazing seaplane ride which goes across the whoe of dubai...check out www.seawings.ae, think they may have some summer offers on at the mo...

let us know if you need any more info...

MM, xx
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:11 am
`

Thank you so much for this help. If you ever want help re. New Zealand you know where to look.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:28 pm
`

Update for anyone looking in or thinking of a Dubai stopover.

Husband booked into the Arabian Courtyard for the few days he was there & said it had everything he needed.

Getting to the hotel from the airport was easy. He simply jumped a taxi.
He booked onto the Big Red Bus for one day and toured around , hopping on and off as he pleased. He says it was a good way to see the sights easily , without hassle.

As he was turning 50, I booked him for an afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab hotel. They were brilliant and made a bit of a fuss. He loved it. He likes skyscrapers and city views .

He got some shopping done in one of the mammoth malls there.

He also stepped outside of his hotel and got a water taxi to the other side of the creek j. He visited a mosque and the souks/ museum local to his hotel.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.Seems to me he had a quality stopover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.