Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Hi

We are going on holiday to North Queensland soon and are considering Port Douglas or Palm Cove, plenty of nice accomodation in both places but just can't decide which one will suit us best. We have two kids, age 11 and 13 and hoping to do the Skyrail, Reef trip and drive up to Cape Trib while we are there, looking for somewhere with a reasonable selection of eating places, although not too fussy on the style.

Any tips? Thanks

Sam
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:03 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Palm Cove is closer to Cairns so alot more convenient for the airport, Skyrail, Kuranda railway, Hartleys Croc Farm (awesome place - *must* go) and a few other things - but its not particularly busy.

When I got my family to come over we all stayed in a rented beach house in Clifton Beach just a couple of km's down the beach from Palm Cove. PC has enough bars and restaurants to keep you happy (just) but is light-on in terms of shops. PD has more (100% tourist targetted shops of course)- but again its very laid-back and relaxed. Both would be great places to stay. There are reef trips that go from PD, but there is more choice form the Cairns marina. There are 1 or 2 reef trips that actually pick upa d drop off in Palm Cove - but that'd be *very* restrictive in terms of where you could go and who you could go with.

The drive between Cairns northern beaches and Port Douglas is stunning - the road sweeps around the coast with forested hills rising on one side and deserted sandy beaches hugging the other side.

Wherever you end up going I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. FNQ is GREAT for a visit!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, I can't wait
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

Either would be good although PD would be my choice based on things to do, places to eat and general funkyness.

As mentioned above the drive from Cairns to PD is simply amazing. on par with great ocean road.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Ta very much, I think we'll probably chose Port Douglas as it sounds great, now the dilema of choosing where to stay!

Sam
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:55 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Ta very much, I think we'll probably chose Port Douglas as it sounds great, now the dilema of choosing where to stay!

Sam
Port Douglas.

If you are coming after 1st November though, I'd think about Cairns since the lagoon there is stinger free. If you're coming before that then you'll be fine in the sea.

I thoroughly recommend these guys for snorkelling and diving: http://www.calypsoreefcruises.com/

Book directly with them to save money.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Sam
I have stayed in both and would recommend PD - just more to do there. In terms of where to say I would suggest someplace close to town. There are any number of resorts on the road to PD however its a long walk into town and driving everywhere is no fun especially if you want to have a couple of beers/wine with your evening meal.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:38 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
I have stayed in both and would recommend PD - just more to do there. In terms of where to say I would suggest someplace close to town. There are any number of resorts on the road to PD however its a long walk into town and driving everywhere is no fun especially if you want to have a couple of beers/wine with your evening meal.
In Town: Mantra on the Inlet has a couple of really nice rooms that look out over bay. Club Tropical Resort is great too.

If you're going to spend all you time on the beach then the hotels along the seaward side of Davidson St/Port Douglas rd are all much of a muchness from what I can see. I've never stayed in any of them being more interested in beer and diving than beaches.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to search and book somewhere today, we go in 4 weeks, can't wait as it sounds lovely

Sam
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

Hi
Mossman gorge is a great place to visit, not far from Port Douglas and very popular
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Hi

We are going on holiday to North Queensland soon and are considering Port Douglas or Palm Cove, plenty of nice accomodation in both places but just can't decide which one will suit us best. We have two kids, age 11 and 13 and hoping to do the Skyrail, Reef trip and drive up to Cape Trib while we are there, looking for somewhere with a reasonable selection of eating places, although not too fussy on the style.

Any tips? Thanks

Sam
I would go for Palm Cove. It is closer to Cairns and you still have good access to do the Skyrail and to go out and visit the Reef. Port Douglas is lovely too and they do have boats going out to the Reef also. It's a close call really, I liked both places and I absolutely love that area, driving up the coastline from Palm Cove to Port Douglas is just unmissable, it is truly beautiful and your kids will love the Skyrail. Make sure you take them to the Zoo which is between Cairns and Palm Cove, they do night walks, again that would be great fun.
ENJOY!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hartleys Croc farm is much better than the zoo imo!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

The croc place sounds good as I know the children are keen to see some!

Too many choices for accommodation, every time I think I've chosen a place I find another one that also looks good!

Sam
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

The croc place sounds good as I know the children are keen to see some!

Too many choices for accommodation, every time I think I've chosen a place I find another one that also looks good!

Sam
Perhaps narrow it down to a few & see if any of us can help!
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Perhaps narrow it down to a few & see if any of us can help!
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.