Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scams in Apartment rentals

Scams in Apartment rentals

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Scams in Apartment rentals

Just like to share my experience with finding rentals through http://flatmates.com.au/home.html

I posted an ad stating I was looking for shared accommodation in Melbourne. I received some replies in my Inbox. I contacted them, and also talked to them on Yahoo Messenger. This is what I found out:
  • All of them claimed to be in UK for some reason (honeymoon, holiday)
  • All emails I received from them originated from Nigeria (found it from email header)
  • All of them asked for the bond and advance rent to be transferred to them via Western Union or Moneygram as they couldn't access their account

There seems to be some kind of scam going on through these rental websites. Is there anyone who has come across such scam?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

lorac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scams in Apartment rentals

guess what, i did receive that as well..but im looking for rent in sydney..

just dont fall for it..

im wondering can we report them to police or something?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lorac
guess what, i did receive that as well..but im looking for rent in sydney..

just dont fall for it..

im wondering can we report them to police or something?
These people are operating from outside Australia, I don't know how much Australian police can do.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
These people are operating from outside Australia, I don't know how much Australian police can do.
Is there a way of reporting it on the site? It sounds shocking. Well done for checking it out and not getting scammed and thank you for warning people about it.

Rudi
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
There's a Sydney address so there may be some way of reporting them. And according to their own FAQ:

We cooperate with the Australian Federal Police and ACCC Scam Watch who investigate and prosecute scammers here and overseas.

All accommodation sites get occasional scammers. If an place or person sounds too good to be true, pushy or suspicious - they probably are. Report suspicious users to the site with a copy of correspondence.

If you haven't met them face-to-face don't trust a hotmail or yahoo account and nice pictures.

So what do genuine overseas people do? We can't say sadly. If we did suggest things - scammers would read it here and improve their act.

We are working on some ideas to make it easier for genuine overseas users to be trusted.

No matter what site you use, just remember the three rules above.

So I'd get on to the Feds and tell them of your experiences.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rudi
Is there a way of reporting it on the site? It sounds shocking. Well done for checking it out and not getting scammed and thank you for warning people about it.

Rudi
The website operators already know about this: they have warned people about it in their FAQ page. People just need to be more cautious about providing personal details and when transferring money. I cannot believe I was so close to lose my money to these scammers.

For more info about scammers check this http://www.scamwatch.gov.au
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

leon.richmond is an unknown quantity at this point

They tried getting me on gumtree....

They even had the cheek to tell me that i could view the property from the outside. The excuse was pretty similar (Not in australia, im back in liverpool with my ill mother, but just post me x amount of dollars deposit and 1 month rent and we'll get the key delivered to you)...

The bad thing is, i know people who have fallen for it!!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leon.richmond
They tried getting me on gumtree....

They even had the cheek to tell me that i could view the property from the outside. The excuse was pretty similar (Not in australia, im back in liverpool with my ill mother, but just post me x amount of dollars deposit and 1 month rent and we'll get the key delivered to you)...

The bad thing is, i know people who have fallen for it!!
Yeah I am sure some people have fallen for these.

Here's a little cut and paste from the chat I had with one of the scammers (for your amusement) :

[*******************

Last edited by Dorothy; Jan 7th 2010 at 3:43 am. Reason: 6. Posting Email excerpts or Private Messages of ANY type or length is not allowed. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

I have my house for rent on Gumtree UK at the moment.

When talking to scammers they are pretty easy to spot, the first one offered to send me pictures of his daughter who would be living there (WTF!!)

The next two finished by praising the lord jesus

The last one told me he hoped I grew big and strong

They will try to compliment you in their emails, If anyone seems a bit off then just ignore them. 419 scamming is unfortunately commonplace, you can research it on the internet. Its nearly always originates in Nigeria which is why its called 419 scamming- 419 is the section of nigerian law that covers it.

If you dont know just send me a mail and I'll look through it. I have been dealing with people like this for a long time and can pretty much spot one a mile off. If they email you from a free account, ask for their internet providing account such as AOL or Tiscali. If theyare genuine they will have one and not be using an internet cafe.

Just dont part with any money without meetiung them first, I am renting a house and I insist on meeting my tenants, thats how you judge a person. If they were genuine they would too.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

husaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Scams in Apartment rentals

"the first one offered to send me pictures of his daughter who would be living there (WTF!!)

The last one told me he hoped I grew big and strong"

pretty religious people ...
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

jimmie2807 will become famous soon enoughjimmie2807 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by husaing
"the first one offered to send me pictures of his daughter who would be living there (WTF!!)

The last one told me he hoped I grew big and strong"

pretty religious people ...

lol I seriously doubt any of them are 'pretty'
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:46 am
Just Joined

20021 is an unknown quantity at this point

just to track these people, its jan 2010 and they are still using the same scam with the same name and e-mail.

I was looking for apartment in Melbourne and they are offering a apartment at 109/740 Swanston Street Melbourne VIC 3004 central location.

well, at least they are not so religious anymore lol...

this is the email they sent me at first :

Another detail is this phone number she gave to me

I hope this info can help...

Last edited by Dorothy; Jan 7th 2010 at 3:42 am. Reason: 6. Posting Email excerpts or Private Messages of ANY type or length is not allowed. There are no exceptions to this rule.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but as per rule 6 of the site rules posting emails is not allowed. http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:10 am
Just Joined

20021 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand that any set of rules have the only and most important point improve the community and provide order. But i can see this rule number 6 is working against the forum and its users and doing worse, its helping a scam.

I suppose its not the goal of this forum, so i ask for common sense applying the rules.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 20021
I understand that any set of rules have the only and most important point improve the community and provide order. But i can see this rule number 6 is working against the forum and its users and doing worse, its helping a scam.

I suppose its not the goal of this forum, so i ask for common sense applying the rules.
You are welcome to take up your concerns with admin by either clicking on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page or sending Sue (admin) a PM.

The rules are set by admin and as moderators we simply apply them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.