Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

PRISON OFFICERS WANTED IN NZ

PRISON OFFICERS WANTED IN NZ

Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:02 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default PRISON OFFICERS WANTED IN NZ

THe 4 new Prisons are looking to hire another 50 new staff members for each new site between now and Christmas , as the double bunking comes into force, if you fancy a new challenge or a different job prospects and a more secure career, then have a look at Corrections website, sorry i tried to put link on but it would not work at time, the Govt web site is the best, the four new prsions are in Otago SI and 3 in NI.

I joined the service this year and its awesome, great career prospects and in this recession ?? a growth business.

I will try and post the link again but i'm sure you can find the site if you are interested, any help i can give about the job please pm.

Nige
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: PRISON OFFICERS WANTED IN NZ

There will always be repeat offenders . Good call putting this up Foo.

How do you find the work?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:16 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRISON OFFICERS WANTED IN NZ

The site i am is great, the staff are sooo helpful and engaging with prisoners, its all open plan site, lots of open space, grass trees, plants ect, new style prison, nothing like those old victorian ones in UK, i apllied in UK once and 45k people applied for 8 jobs nationaly, i have always wanted a career with prosects and in this recession, its more stable and a growth industry, the four new ones are single bunks at mo, but the Gov had always had it in line to double bunk tham, will make the job a bit more exciting and even more interesting, it challenges you every day, but a job where i can switch off from, unlike when i was slef employed.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:23 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I misread the tittle to Prisonners wanted in NZ...

I was like What the ****???
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
engaging with prisoners
Hopefully from the other side of perspex or with tasers/electric batons drawn .
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:28 am
Dorset to Dunedin

I hope thye dont issue us with them, as i think it will provoke prisoners to want to attack us more, the more tooled up you are the more threatening you look to someone, most assaults are crim on crim, once you start turning it into an American style jail !!!

The good thing about most of our inmates is they are Kiwis , and most are laid back, and if they are like thier fellow countrymen, they will do things at a later time or next day lol
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread. We were looking in to this as (female) friend of my cousin is a prison officer and loves her job. OH has worked as Court bailiff and is now a CEO (Traffic Warden!!) and certainly has to cope with his fair share of poop on a daily basis. Good training we thought.
http://corrections.nga.net.nz/cp/?audiencetypecode=EXT
This is the link to the jobs vacant list - as you see on time for applications closing NEVER CLOSES

Last edited by j19fmm; Jul 31st 2009 at 6:30 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

YRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the roughYRSBoy is a jewel in the rough

Anyone enquired who hasn't got PR status yet? still waiting for ours?

Without going in to too much detail, our backgrounds would suit some of the positions going - anyone had any dealings with/or applied for jobs at the new prisons?

YRSBoy
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:33 am
Dorset to Dunedin

TBH i would send them an e mail, they do struggle to find people, although there is good ammount coming through now as there have been lots of people getting laid off.

The testing stage is an aptitude test, and a Hogans pesonality test online, once thats done you may get a 3 panel interview, this may be the difficult part if you are not in the country, but IMO i would contact them and see whats what ?

The new prisons are nothing like the old ones, well aprt from ones near Auckland, they hold some nasty buggers, Like Parry, nad place to work, but the 4 new ones are awesome, you would not feel like you are in a prison, Northland one will find it hard to get another 50 staff, beacuse of where its located, even the one we work at is 30 min drive from Dunedin, but to Kiwis this is not an option, most dont like to commute far, 5 mins to them is far lol, we all car pool, and swap who drives their motor each day.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nige

OH had been thinking in this direction but was wondering how long the drive is from Dunedin to Balclutha?

Ta

Phyl x
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:00 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
Hi Nige

OH had been thinking in this direction but was wondering how long the drive is from Dunedin to Balclutha?

Ta

Phyl x
I can aswer that one. Dunedin to Milton prison is as Nige says about 30-35min, from there down to Balclutha is another 20-25min.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
THe 4 new Prisons are looking to hire another 50 new staff members for each new site between now and Christmas , as the double bunking comes into force, if you fancy a new challenge or a different job prospects and a more secure career, then have a look at Corrections website, sorry i tried to put link on but it would not work at time, the Govt web site is the best, the four new prsions are in Otago SI and 3 in NI.

I joined the service this year and its awesome, great career prospects and in this recession ?? a growth business.

I will try and post the link again but i'm sure you can find the site if you are interested, any help i can give about the job please pm.
Nige
Hi (again) Nige, what are the shift hours? Presume nights come in to play somewhere?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:54 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

All depends what prison you are in and what unit, the units at my place are mainly 8-5 with the odd later shift to 11 thrown in, when the NW night watch take over, the units do NW also, but the main staff area is CSU custodial Support Units, they do all the other stuff inside, shifts cab be, 7-3, 7-4, 11-7, 1-9, 8-4, the nights that we do are 7 nights once every 26 weeks, in CSU you get heaps of weekends off.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Hi Nige

Just wanted to pick your brains a little. I work at a YOI in the UK and believe a few years back NZ corrections came over to recruit,a number of officers went from our prison but the grass wasn't quite as green as they imagined.
I was wondering how easy is it to get a work visa,I'm 45 OH is 47 and we have two children 17 and 8,I've been in the job 2 years now and have a NVQ3 in Custodial Care. Also what is the salary and benefits like,I have heard they are not great and some people have had to take second jobs to get by.Will the corrections sponsor people or is it a case of getting to NZ first then applying for a position with them and do they have seperate prisons for young offenders(not that I particularly want to work with them)but that's where I've got the experience. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.