Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting a bank account!!!!

Getting a bank account!!!!

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

abbeys orchids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a bank account!!!!

Just thought I'd mention how hard it is to get a bank account and therefore credit rating when you return to the UK!
I've been back just over three years after 6 years of living abroad and when I first came home it was like I never existed! I was given the 'cant do anything' bank account even though I had just started back to work here.
My advice the day after you get off the plane...get a bank account, any one, no one will listen to anything without you having had it at least a year.

Good luck all XXX

PS still glad I came back though, seeing the birth of my grand-daughter and being with my Dad when he died.....ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting a bank account!!!!

Originally Posted by abbeys orchids
Just thought I'd mention how hard it is to get a bank account and therefore credit rating when you return to the UK!
I've been back just over three years after 6 years of living abroad and when I first came home it was like I never existed! I was given the 'cant do anything' bank account even though I had just started back to work here.
My advice the day after you get off the plane...get a bank account, any one, no one will listen to anything without you having had it at least a year.

Good luck all XXX

PS still glad I came back though, seeing the birth of my grand-daughter and being with my Dad when he died.....ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!!!!!!
When we applied for my husbands' settlement VISA in Toronto...,when we had done with the interview,...we saw this sign>>>open up a uk bank acc't...so we did, filled in the forms and...its in the final stages.. all b4 we get there.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 6:49 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We have things set up with HSBC. Looks as if it's going to work okay.

Bev
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

on a similar vein, we fortunately kept uk bank accounts going when leaving the UK but we sent back all credit cards except one.

When getting to canada we couldnt get a credit card that wasnt secured on a large cash deposit - so we continued to use our remaining UK one.

We were in Marks and spencer last week and filled a form for a new credit card (wife had one of these before and you get useful rewards!) but her application has been rejected ,so it looks like we will have to continue using the old egg card until we have a credit rating in the UK (despite having continued banking history in the UK!)

So if you are out of the UK and have a credit card DO NOT CANCEL IT BEFORE COMING TO UK
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
on a similar vein, we fortunately kept uk bank accounts going when leaving the UK but we sent back all credit cards except one.

When getting to canada we couldnt get a credit card that wasnt secured on a large cash deposit - so we continued to use our remaining UK one.

We were in Marks and spencer last week and filled a form for a new credit card (wife had one of these before and you get useful rewards!) but her application has been rejected ,so it looks like we will have to continue using the old egg card until we have a credit rating in the UK (despite having continued banking history in the UK!)

So if you are out of the UK and have a credit card DO NOT CANCEL IT BEFORE COMING TO UK
I kept my UK bank account too - really gald about that. Made moving back a lot easier.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by abbeys orchids

Good luck all XXX

As mentioned by Bevm, if you open an account with HSBC, they will transfer your money to the UK and have your account up and running for when you arrive:

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/t...Zdih:11j5bfvdu
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I've purposefully kept my M&S card going, just in case! I use it very occasionally here, and pay off most of the balance. I've no doubt paid unncessary interest but figure it's a small price to pay, just in case!

It's registered at parents-in-law's address however, and they have received a couple of reminder phone calls if I've been late with a payment (never used to receive a phone call when I lived there - wonder if they suspect something fishy going on - which there isn't. I guess if they get paid, they don't much care). FIL worried I'm gonna get him on a black list. I've never not made payment, just a bit late.

I'll probably have a wobbly credit rating now, rather than none at all
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know why people's experiences regarding this varies so much. In 06 we had no bank accts, got short shrift from NatWest so walked across the road HSBC (which in my town was the old Midland where I did have an acct but my records were too old to be kept) and about 45mins later both walked out with accounts. My wife's wasn't fully activated until she got one further letter from her uni.

My Mum was gobsmacked, to coin a phrase! It was a Friday afternoon, maybe the guy just wanted to get to the pub?

We still have those accts now and keep them active.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

pintofbitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been back a couple of months after a decade away, and finding it ridiculously hard to get a bank account. My latest effort was with the Cooperative Bank. I explained my situation and asked for their Cashminder account, which is a basic account and debit card. I made it quite clear I didn't want a credit card or an overdraft of any type. I was then suggested a different account which they said would be fine, because the Cashminder is "designed for people who've been declared bankrupt". Lo and behold, a few days later I've just received a letter saying my request has been rejected, as I predicted. I'm absolutely furious, to be honest, this is the second request that's now standing out like a sore thumb on my credit rating, and it's so frustrating.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Try Barclays. I just opened one there no problem, considering I live in Aus.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I kept my Barclays account open and my Barclay card I've had since college still works, nice part is, the bill goes to Mums house
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I honestly don't know why people's experiences regarding this varies so much. In 06 we had no bank accts, got short shrift from NatWest so walked across the road HSBC (which in my town was the old Midland where I did have an acct but my records were too old to be kept) and about 45mins later both walked out with accounts. My wife's wasn't fully activated until she got one further letter from her uni.

My Mum was gobsmacked, to coin a phrase! It was a Friday afternoon, maybe the guy just wanted to get to the pub?

We still have those accts now and keep them active.
I have to agree with you there. The 'why' factor confuses me as well. Keep it simple where-ever you are leaving/going to next always leave at least one bank account open and fund and use it at least once annually. Should leave you with no problems. Of course, economy with the truth is always a good tactic as well since we all know the phrase "computer says no!"
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:51 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I think we give too much info.
Last time I was in UK for a long period and went to work etc, I didn't tell people where I'd been at first, I opened an account at Barclays then using my Mothers address, my drivers license had that same address on it, I had my passport for a photo ID I had a barclaycard from when I was in college and two big fat US dollar checks for deposit (that they charged a bunch to exchange to pounds), they welcomed me with open arms and it was no problem.
I also started with a savings account, then went back after a couple weeks (could have been a month) and opened a current account, got a debit card etc etc. By then I was working and depositing pay cheques and had a good sum in the savings.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

We went back to Scotland on holiday in June 2008.We took all documents we thought they required.Managed to open a savings account with Bank of Scotland/Halifax.I fly back on 6th November to live and will be opening a different account so i can get one with more facilities.I will transfer the sale of the house money etc into the new account.(can't see it being a problem as its a substantial amount until, we buy a house of course).

Might tell my dh to sling his hook once money is in my account!!!!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 2:33 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I have posted this a few times on here, but happy to do so again.

Just go into Lloyds TSB. They gave me one after only being in the country 2 weeks and also told me to bring my Kiwi husband in when he got his spouse visa, which I did and he now has one too. As long as you have no previous bad credit rating and can show an address you are now living at theres no problem. We have debit cards and cheque books etc. But i think you have to wait 6mths before you get a credit card, but we havent bothered with one yet. As you can use your debit card in the same way you use a credit card i cant see the point of one unless you need to borrow money!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.